The Chokeyes

ThunderHawk

Are not going to win another game this season. A meltdown of epic proportions with no discernible catalyst.

Book it.

However, Iowa is a football school, so don't take it too hard.

That is crazy Iowa has the most experienced team in the conference. Not only that they have the best overall player, best shooter, best rebounder, and the leading candidate for coach of the year. Iowa has what it takes to win out this year.

That is crazy Iowa has the most experienced team in the conference. Not only that they have the best overall player, best shooter, best rebounder, and the leading candidate for coach of the year. Iowa has what it takes to win out this year.

Nice try Homer!

MSU Valentine is best overall player NOW in the BIG and Fran might of been leading candidate 2 weeks ago but he isn't anymore that's a thing of the past. Hell I wonder if he even can win BIG Coach of the year??

I guess this is just a thing with Iowa under Fran. It's happened enough that's it a pattern so it is what it is.

I guess this is just a thing with Iowa under Fran. It's happened enough that's it a pattern so it is what it is.

Not counting his first year because he inherited a mess here is Iowa in the last 10 regular season games under Fran:

2011-12: 5-5
2012-13: 6-4
2013-14: 4-6
2014-15: 8-2

The 2013-14 season collapse was when he got the news his kid had cancer, I'm willing to give him a pass on that, but it isn't like it is a pattern to collapse. This year there is no excuse and it is on Fran to get it turned around and quickly, with 4 senior starters there is no way this team should be collapsing like it is.

Who? No one else can match the combination or scoring, rebounding, and shot blocking.

Do you even watch games?

Apparently Indiana, Penn State, and Wisconsin can exceed our scoring, and since games are decided on scoring I guess it makes those other two irrelevant, doesn't it?

You can come up with any combination of rose-colored stats you want, but if the other team has more points at the end you lose.

Iowa is pressing too hard. Mike continues to dribble around, there's no movement on offense, only for Jok and Uthoff.....Woody hustled his a$$ off and got no reward for it....give him the ball down low.....perimeter defense if junk....Connie played physical and Fran & Co. bailed out of the game, another poor game from a seasoned team....."Seasoned" as in done......I wonder if this isn't Fran's m.o. DJL... I've noticed his behavior the past 2 weeks, he's starting to get more animated during crunch time, trying to lobby hard for his team, when the team needs to step up and perform better.....I just can't put my finger on it....This is not the time of year to start going backwards........I still have faith but that's wearing a little this w/ each loss....

Don't think their choking,other teams figuring out how to play us.The team is playing hard but not getting it done.I don't think we're as good as some of us thought and we're not as bad as some are thinking right now.No reason to have a meltdown,the players aren't happy either.

Not counting his first year because he inherited a mess here is Iowa in the last 10 regular season games under Fran:

2011-12: 5-5
2012-13: 6-4
2013-14: 4-6
2014-15: 8-2

The 2013-14 season collapse was when he got the news his kid had cancer, I'm willing to give him a pass on that, but it isn't like it is a pattern to collapse. This year there is no excuse and it is on Fran to get it turned around and quickly, with 4 senior starters there is no way this team should be collapsing like it is.

Agreed about this year. And thank you for completely debunking this stupid "Fran's teams Always collapse" horseshite.

Do you even watch games?

Apparently Indiana, Penn State, and Wisconsin can exceed our scoring, and since games are decided on scoring I guess it makes those other two irrelevant, doesn't it?

You can come up with any combination of rose-colored stats you want, but if the other team has more points at the end you lose.

Fry, you've been Nick rolled.

It's amazing how many people still get sucked in by ClintonIAfan (hawknick).

Gotta love him.

Makes you wonder which was the real team this year? The early one or the late one?
The real team is the one that goes down in history after the NCAA's. Sweet 16 and this team was great, finding it's mojo again at the end of the year, less than that and it was a collapse. As far as history goes and how we'll look back on it in 10 years, it's really that simple.

I think we all thought the same thing (OHHHH NOOOOOO) last year about this time. Lost two straight in mid-February. Gut check time.

Many of these same kids went 6-0 to finish the conference slate.

I don't think I'm ready to give up yet (but I understand). There's evidence to support a nosedive ... but there's also evidence to support a resurgence.

No excuse for this collapse to happen this season. Not with the amount of upper class men and experience on this roster.

It's like nobody learned anything from 2013.

Agreed about this year. And thank you for completely debunking this stupid "Fran's teams Always collapse" horseshite.
What did he dubunk? I see 1 year that is an outlier. Okay maybe .500 isn't a total collapse, but I guess it depends on who we lost to during that stretch.

2011-2012- Penn State, Northwestern, Illinois
2012-2013- Nebraska
2014-2015- Northwestern, Minnesota
2015-2016- Penn State, Wisconsin

You see my point I hope. I know everyone loses to bad teams, but we seem to do it at a critical part of the season.

Well, that experience isn't exactly paying dividends at this point.

Uthoff has been off his game (to me, his shot has been "off" since the MD game) and Jok seems to be the only guy that's been in a groove. Gesell and Woody don't score much, and Clemmons isn't a big scorer either, outside of the occasional drive to the rim or trip to the FT line. Who comes off the bench to provide offense? Kind of a one man team lately. Offensively, at least.

Either opponents have us figured out, or this team just shot out of its mind the first handful of conference games. Whatever the issue, it's catching up with us.

This is starting to feel like two years ago. Get high in the polls, then start to crumble. Iowa cannot win close games and don't see it as much better this year, either. The record in tight games the previous few years has been horrendous, and close games I can think of us losing this year include: Dayton, ND, ISU, MD, Indiana, Wisconsin.. the close games Iowa has won, include FSU & Purdue. I guess you could say Drake and Minnesota as well, but one could argue those comes shouldn't have been as close as they were, if Iowa is as good of a team as we all thought.

Couple that with the Lick years, and many Alford-era melt downs, I could say that I've seen this particular movie too many times. It's frustrating.

Last edited:
All you have to do with Uthoff is play him physical and you'll shut him down.

Jok is streaky isn't a shot creator. You take way that transition three and he's not all that effective.

Those are Iowa's top scorers and other teams have figured out how to slow them when they need to. Other guys are not stepping up either when these guys go cold or get taken out of their game.

Those are Iowa's top scorers and other teams have figured out how to slow them when they need to.

Agree here ... until the dance, when we're playing teams who haven't watched every minute of film and have little time to prepare.

Hoping we can adjust now to set up a little run. Guess we will see.

Well, that experience isn't exactly paying dividends at this point.

Uthoff has been off his game (to me, his shot has been "off" since the MD game) and Jok seems to be the only guy that's been in a groove. Gesell and Woody don't score much, and Clemmons isn't a big scorer either, outside of the occasional drive to the rim or trip to the FT line. Who comes off the bench to provide offense? Kind of a one man team lately. Offensively, at least.

Either opponents have us figured out, or this team just shot out of its mind the first handful of conference games. Whatever the issue, it's catching up with us.

This is starting to feel like two years ago. Get high in the polls, then start to crumble. Iowa cannot win close games and don't see it as much better this year, either. The record in tight games the previous few years has been horrendous, and close games I can think of us losing this year include: Dayton, ND, ISU, MD, Indiana, Wisconsin.. the close games Iowa has won, include FSU & Purdue. I guess you could say Drake and Minnesota as well, but one could argue those comes shouldn't have been as close as they were, if Iowa is as good of a team as we all thought.

Couple that with the Lick years, and many Alford-era melt downs, I could say that I've seen this particular movie too many times. It's frustrating.

I think they shot better than their norm early and worse than their norm lately. If you are going to count Wisconsin as losing a close game since it was close with 2 minutes left, you have to count games like home against MSU as wins. Even though the score grew to double digits, we closed out a 50/50 game with 2 minutes left.

I've said before, this senior class was hit with an abnormal amount of bad luck early with close games and they never recovered. Jok doesn't screw up in close games. He still makes his shots and his free throws late in games. Once this class graduates. All the players that are head cases in close games will be gone. That alone might be worth a couple wins a year to balance out the experience drop off.

Latest posts