The Case for Indianapolis

BSpringsteen

• OK, we don't have hotels, direct flights, or fun for the whole family, but we do have a consolidated downtown sports district with hotels, restaurants all within a spitting distance of our venues.

• Sure we don't have the appeal of Chicago, but come to Indy and be the biggest game in town. No other distractions, just your event.

• MONEY - no sponsors don't care more about Indy than they do Chicago, but the you will have a MUCH more captivated audience in Indy than in Chicago.

• It is TV - they can broadcast from State College, PA, it doesn't matter to them if it is in Chicago or Indy.

• Comfort of the fans. I know we all like outdoor football, but I went to the Bears Packers game last year in January. That will be the last time I do that.

Bruce-you forget to mention MORE SEATS

Soldier field-61,500
Lucas Oil-63,000

Assuming a sell out at both venues, that's at least a net + to the tune of $150,000

The turf at Soldier Field for Packers v. Bears in the NFC Championship was awful. If the Big Ten must go outdoors, Lambeau is the best decision, if they can support 80,000 for Packers games, they can support 80,000 for a Big Ten championship game.

• OK, we don't have hotels, direct flights, or fun for the whole family, but we do have a consolidated downtown sports district with hotels, restaurants all within a spitting distance of our venues. (Seth: It is my understanding there is a consolidated motel district near Lucas. There are direct flights to Indy. I'd think you would not be bringing young kids to this venue, thus, the need for kid-friendly stuff to do is a minor point)

• Sure we don't have the appeal of Chicago, but come to Indy and be the biggest game in town. No other distractions, just your event. (Seth: Great point. One I've made. Indy rolls out the carpet...Chicago has so much else going on they really don't care. That appeals to me).

• MONEY - no sponsors don't care more about Indy than they do Chicago, but the you will have a MUCH more captivated audience in Indy than in Chicago. (Seth: sponsors will be salivating over this event regardless of where it's at...Indy won't diminish that fact.)

• It is TV - they can broadcast from State College, PA, it doesn't matter to them if it is in Chicago or Indy. (Seth: best point you make. What is happening outside the football arena once the game starts is of 0% importance to the TV people, and more importantly, to the people watching on TV...where the big dollars are anyway.)

• Comfort of the fans. I know we all like outdoor football, but I went to the Bears Packers game last year in January. That will be the last time I do that. (Seth: another great point. Really, take your six year old to a game in Chicago in December and get back to me. I've sat through two miserable December games at Soldier field....it basically sucked. Indoors is the only way to go--no brainer).

Last edited:
I think his point about direct flights was more directed at Indianapolis not being a hub so while you can get there, it's much more difficult to do so without a connection somewhere.

You also lost me a bit by saying "I'd think you would not be bringing your young kids" and following up later with "take your six year old to a game in Chicago"...

I think his point about direct flights was more directed at Indianapolis not being a hub so while you can get there, it's much more difficult to do so without a connection somewhere.

You also lost me a bit by saying "I'd think you would not be bringing your young kids" and following up later with "take your six year old to a game in Chicago"...

I was stating for the people complaining Indy had "nothing to do" for kids that kids probably aren't going to be going to this game.

However, if the game WAS in Chicago and you DID bring a six-year-old, good luck.

I don't have any rugrats...

I was saying that if you wanted to bring your family to Chicago - you could give your wife and kids plenty to do in the city while YOU go the game.

Bruce-you forget to mention MORE SEATS

Soldier field-61,500
Lucas Oil-63,000

Assuming a sell out at both venues, that's at least a net + to the tune of $150,000

If the Big 10 makes a decision for their conference football game over $150K, I'll shave my pubes... not trim, full out shave.

That is going to be a pimple on the *** of this game.

Indianapolis is a metropolitan nap - that place is dull and the sterile indoor setting belies all that makes the B1G great. While Soldier Field has its issues, I will take outside by the lake all day over snoozeville.

For those of you saying indianapolis is boring...you live in Iowa.

Best feature of events in Indy, downtown is so walkable. Park your car and forget it.

Actually those of us living in Iowa are experts at identifying boring. If it feels like home....

I say go for Detroit. If it's going to go to a crappy city, make it really crappy. Detroit needs it more and would appreciate it more.

Last edited:
Let's get real here people. Fans coming to watch football game in December don't care about museums, concerts, and cultural fairs. People arrive day early, eat food, get drinks,go to the game, and leave. Indy meets those requirements in a more convenient package than Chicago.

Latest posts