The Butler Way???

davehawks

It worked for them. I'm just saying. One of two things happened. One we let go of coach Lick before he could get it rolling, or two, he was a coach of good fortune at Butler and they were happy to get him out and Stevens in. What do you think? I would love to be celebrating a sweet 16 or a elite 8 or really dream and a final 4, but no, I am waiting for ANOTHER new coach who I am supposed to get excited about and wait at least 3 years before we can even HOPE for a good season and a NIT bid, COME ON LETS GO BARTA AND GET US SOMEONE WHO WILL LEAD AND WIN.

Why the Butler Way works: 1) Players DON'T transfer 2) The correct coach is in charge and 3) Play opponents not familiar with system

Lick never got the "Butler Way" put in place because everything was blowing up in his face time after time...you simply can't get it done with a bunch of 6'5" guys and 1 point guard, with guys transferring out every single year...it may not have all been TL's fault...but it sure wasn't looking to get any better under his watch. He had my support to get another year, with the class he had coming in, but once the magic words came out about "more transfers" it was time to move on.

So their conference opponents are not familiar with them. Wow, he really can coach if he make his conf. opponents not watch when they play each other and arent allowed to watch film on them so they stay Unfamiliar. COME ON.

Lick never got the "Butler Way" put in place because everything was blowing up in his face time after time...you simply can't get it done with a bunch of 6'5" guys and 1 point guard, with guys transferring out every single year...it may not have all been TL's fault...but it sure wasn't looking to get any better under his watch. He had my support to get another year, with the class he had coming in, but once the magic words came out about "more transfers" it was time to move on.

Agreed. Add to that a fan base that had learned to be suspicious of highly paid coaches, fans who had made up their mind that the "Butler Way" was boring without actually seeing it (and I can't say that we ever actually saw it at Iowa - see above) and a player whose poor decisions further divided the fan base and possibly the team.

But congratulations to Butler! As one of the announcer said, they played team basketball.

KSU played a terrible game. I blame it on that. I think that double overtime game played a big part in the outcome. KSU looked tired.

It worked for them. I'm just saying. One of two things happened. One we let go of coach Lick before he could get it rolling, or two, he was a coach of good fortune at Butler and they were happy to get him out and Stevens in.

That's pretty simplistic don't you think?

After 3 years, Iowa looked no where near what Butler looks like on offense or defense.

Butler plays in your face defense...we played, I'm not sure what we played.

You don't see Butler dribbling around the perimeter and then launching a three with no time left.

Butler also has three very nice guards that can penetrate and dish. Lickliter was never able to recruit a point guard and the guys he had either transferred or he ran them off.

There were so many negative factors that Lickliter brought with him and that he has that it was amazing. He might be a good coach but it sure didn't show. While at Iowa, the man had no clue what was going on...

In summation, does anyone truly think Butler would be in the final 4 with Lickliter at the helm? And Lickliter did not recruit all of these players.

Why the Butler Way works: 1) Players DON'T transfer 2) The correct coach is in charge and 3) Play opponents not familiar with system

Does that mean that Lickliter was the wrong coach for them when he had them in the sweet 16? Experience counts for something, and how can you say that their opponents aren't familiar with the system?

After 3 years, Iowa looked no where near what Butler looks like on offense or defense.

You don't see Butler dribbling around the perimeter and then launching a three with no time left.

Butler also has three very nice guards that can penetrate and dish. Lickliter was never able to recruit a point guard and the guys he had either transferred or he ran them off.

There were so many negative factors that Lickliter brought with him and that he has that it was amazing. He might be a good coach but it sure didn't show. While at Iowa, the man had no clue what was going on...

In summation, does anyone truly think Butler would be in the final 4 with Lickliter at the helm? And Lickliter did not recruit all of these players.

Remember Tony Freeman, he was a talented PG. Actually did run him off. What about Jeff Petersen, he had potential, then just kind of leveled off in "the system", and subsequently left after soph year. Doesn't matter what recruits we had coming in, he wouldn't have kept them four years. It was very apparent once he got to Iowa he developed a disconnect with the players "his assistants" recruited for him.

Last edited:

You can look at what you wrote and argue either side of it. Look at what the new coach had to work with in his new Butler job. Look at what Lick had to work with at Iowa. The players at Butler know the system, they play the system, they have depth, etc. Lick tried to get it going, but hard to do what Butler is doing with no bench and all the transfers of the guys who weren't buying. I do think Lick could have done what this coach did, I also think he could have gotten better at Iowa with time. If there were truly more transfers, however, then I agree it was time.

Latest posts