The Breakdown: Rutgers Ruins Hawkeye Senior Day

The team must have non-refundable tickets to Hawaii in March. Doing their best to make sure they won’t be busy.

It did kinda stun me when the interim coach found: "no fault in their defense" folks, I think we found the problem.

Serious questions here.. Is this level of play the last month just dealing with the grind of Conference play and it’s just that tough a league? Does Iowa regain life entering the NCAA Tournament playing on a neutral court against a team outside the Big 10? Time will tell. Such a weird Big 10 season with so many upsets. We will all have the hope when the time comes that they will go on a miracle run, but this team looks like a 1 Win at best team in the Tourney. At least we are in

Fran has said he has the players backs. This was a golden opportunity to for the players to show they had his.

They tried, but looked tense from the first possession, when Wiescamp threw a pass to where he thought a teammate was going to be. A bad omen for the rest of the day.

As for the observation that the off the court issues caught up to them, those issues are precisely where I would want attention if I was a player. Bobby Knight was one of the best ever at drawing attention to himself to take focus off his players. Bill Parcells could do it too. Even Hayden Fry to an extent. If anything, I would have seen all the distractions this week as the perfect opportunity be as incognito as possible. And come out like silent assassin's on Saturday.

Our mental toughness has been proven this season, but this may be the first time all year that we didn't respond to a bad loss. This coming week will be a good test of how tough mentally we can truly be. The negative off the court emotion of the week should have had nothing to do with the performance on the court. It should have had the opposite effect. That disappointing.

Three things stood out from this steaming pile of a game:

1) Lack of athleticism and toughness
2) Lack of effort - really pissed me off
3) A couple Assistants have no clue of what they’re doing - it showed.

Win at Wisky and I’ll forget about this bullshit display.

Well written article Rob and you didn’t pull any punches.

Thanks. Outside of Baer, not much was good yesterday. And I, too, was surprised when Francis didn’t see any issues with the defense. Two of the worst offenses statistically in the B1G averaged 88 points against Iowa this week.

Thanks. Outside of Baer, not much was good yesterday. And I, too, was surprised when Francis didn’t see any issues with the defense. Two of the worst offenses statistically in the B1G averaged 88 points against Iowa this week.
The three pointers haven't been falling. That's almost always a recipe for disaster for the defense. Always will be.

Three things stood out from this steaming pile of a game:

1) Lack of athleticism and toughness
2) Lack of effort - really pissed me off
3) A couple Assistants have no clue of what they’re doing - it showed.

Win at Wisky and I’ll forget about this bullshit display.
Win at wisky? We might lose by 20 the way it’s going. Wisconsin is a tough minded team and it’s Happ’s senior night.

The three pointers haven't been falling. That's almost always a recipe for disaster for the defense. Always will be.

Pikiell is a good coach. He had that game scouted very well.

Thaim is an OK player who'd made 10 threes all B1G season before yesterday. Pikiell knew he could make corner threes, though, and set him up in that left corner in the first half. Kid knocked down four wide open threes after Rutgers shifted the Hawkeye zone. No adjustment from the Hawkeyes. And the Knights sliced up Iowa's press.

Pikiell is a good coach. He had that game scouted very well.

Thaim is an OK player who'd made 10 threes all B1G season before yesterday. Pikiell knew he could make corner threes, though, and set him up in that left corner in the first half. Kid knocked down four wide open threes after Rutgers shifted the Hawkeye zone. No adjustment from the Hawkeyes. And the Knights sliced up Iowa's press.
It actually looked like we were in man most of the first half. I could be wrong, but the fear of the offensive rebound made us reluctant to go zone. By the time we did Harper had done the damage.

You're absolutely correct about Pikiell. He had them ready to go.

I'm trying hard to keep it in perspective, but, it's not easy.

There have been numerous upsets in the B1G this season, so we're certainly not alone. I'm not convinced the conference's best teams are Final Four caliber, but, I do believe that there is amazing depth in this league. You better show up for every game on the schedule.

That said, the primary two issues with this team are the same issues as last season. The only difference is that those issues are not rearing their "ugly heads" quite as often.

1. Terrible on-ball defense. We simply don't have anyone on the perimeter with the athleticism to prevent dribble-penetration, and it's killing us. Players can drive at will, and either take it to the rim, or kick it out for wide open threes. Fran just can't seem to recruit upper tier athletes, and,

2. A complete lack of on-court leadership. The better teams have players that galvanize their teammates in rough situations. Our players simply get the classic "deer in headlight" look or stand there chewing on the mouthpiece. No leadership leads to lack of resolve and mental toughness. It's maddening.

The BTN panelists seem to think we will be a tough out in the NCAA tourney. I doubt we make it past the second round.

Last edited:
It actually looked like we were in man most of the first half. I could be wrong, but the fear of the offensive rebound made us reluctant to go zone. By the time we did Harper had done the damage.

You're absolutely correct about Pikiell. He had them ready to go.

True. It was more man than I think Iowa should play, but there was zone as well. Neither looked good. Lack of energy, poor closeouts.

Cause & Effect............this game was about Rutgers good D on this day. Iowa has their off days with shooting like any team but more often than not you usually see an Iowa opponent that has a very capable D that dictates the outcome of this team's shooting.

Iowa's record vs. the top 5 defensive teams in the conference......1-3
Iowa's record vs. the bottom 5 defensive teams in the conference...4-2

The top 5 defensive teams (scoring defense) in the BIG are also the same 5 that are currently in the top 5 positions in the BIG standings.

Rutgers guards did a great job of chasing Jordan B off the three-point line. And they had Baer shooting from a 1-2 feet behind the line.

I often wonder if the AD on down to the lowest of Iowa's coaches are trained to paint a happy picture and if that fails to blame others ( luck,shots not falling, refs, etc) when the team offers hideous performances.

It kind of reminds me of Tiger Woods. "How would you assess your round today Tiger?" "Well, overall I hit a lot of good shots, the irons were crisp, really like the tempo. Making improvement. Happy where my game is." You shot a 78 bro.

Two other observations:

Athletic teams, no matter what their records, can roll Iowa.

At times Fran's teams seem to be disinterested and don't realize they need maximum effort and fundamental basketball (including defense) to beat any team on their schedule. Iowa is not good enough to coast by anyone.

I'm trying hard to keep it in perspective, but, it's not easy.

There have been numerous upsets in the B1G this season, so we're certainly not alone. I'm not convinced the conference's best teams are Final Four caliber, but, I do believe that there is amazing depth in this league. You better show up for every game on the schedule.

That said, the primary two issues with this team are the same issues as last season. The only difference is that those issues are not rearing their "ugly heads" quite as often.

1. Terrible on-ball defense. We simply don't have anyone on the perimeter with the athleticism to prevent dribble-penetration, and it's killing us. Players can drive at will, and either take it to the rim, or kick it out for wide open threes. Fran just can't seem to recruit upper tier athletes, and,

2. A complete lack of on-court leadership. The better teams have players that galvanize their teammates in rough situations. Our players simply get the classic "deer in headlight" look or stand there chewing on the mouthpiece. No leadership leads to lack of resolve and mental toughness. It's maddening.

The BTN panelists seem to think we will be a tough out in the NCAA tourney. I doubt we make it past the second round.
Your point #2 is the concerning one. Yesterday we got the defecit down to twelve and then Rutgers promptly ripped off back to back breakaway dunks. In one of the dunks Connor can clearly be seen glancing at the bench with a confused look on his face, if not quite a shoulder shrug, when he should have been busting it back on defense. That's not the first time I've seen him with that "not me" look on his face. He was caught looking at his dad/coach with that same look during a timeout in the Maryland game. Then of course the technical at OSU.

We need Connor, and others, to have that "next play" look that they had earlier in he season. The focused look they had in January, or during the Iowa State game. The body language we've shown the last three or four games would have gotten us rolled by fifteen against the Clones. And we would have lost most of the road games we've won.

Latest posts