The Breakdown: Purdue Embarrasses Hawkeyes

There are 5 conference teams ranked in the Top 20 (actually Top 19) per Kenpom. They are Michigan State, Michigan, Nebraska, Purdue and Wisconsin. We have 8 games against this group. It just so happens 4 of the 8 are to open the season. So we could start 0-4...probable if Garza sits again Sunday IMO. But the season is far from lost/over. I think Iowa will still win 12 of the remaining 17 games.

Side Note - Fran certainly doesn't do everything right. But sitting Garza was a smart long term move. We likely lose last night with or without him. He now has 3 more days to get healthier. This will be a plus Sunday and over the remaining 17 games.

Win 12 games in the Big Ten. You really can’t be serious? Wow lmao!! Iowa would need to run the table at home and steal 3 road games. Not happening in a million years with who we have as coach..

That would be a good place to start. They whipped us by well over twenty the last time we played over there.

Look at the attrition we have suffered with our once huge recruiting class of 2019. Andrew Fleming, Brandon Hutton, Christian Williams, Ahmad Wagner and juco Dale Jones all transferred out. Moss is the only one left. Another upperclassman, Brady Ellingson, grad transferred. As you said however, there's still enough veteran experience out there with Baer and the juniors, most of whom have started or been high in the bench rotation since they were freshmen.

But some of that attrition is Fran recruiting players that have no business playing for a P5 school. Neither Fleming or Hutton play significant minutes for the schools they transferred too. Fleming went to Lipscomb while Hutton transferred to Northwestern State. The only player on that list that should have been on the roster is Wagner, who was a decent role player off the bench. I know Ellingson is having a decent season at Drake but he is a 5th year senior playing for a mid major.

Fran needs to step up his recruiting.

True. I am an optimist. My wife says the same thing. But I still like Iowa to win 12.

You are a brave man to post that, I wish I could share that optimism.

If Iowa wins 12 B10 games I will buy you a beer. It may not be in person but I will buy you one, probably a 4 pack from Toppling Goliath. You will have earned it if that comes true. I'll be happy to eat crow for doubting you as I BADLY want to see that happen.

You've got Pike Hammer saying Iowa will win two games going forward. Windsor thinks the Hawkeyes will go 12-5 through the rest of the Big Ten gauntlet.

Optimism and pessimism at its finest.

Unfortunately, both lack reality.

After last season any decent AD would have required the HC to replace at least one asst coach with someone with solid defensive coaching credentials at the P5 level.

Expecting significant defensive improvement with the same cast and crew is wishful thinking at best.

If the Hawks only win 4 or 5 conference games and Fran isn't required to make significant coaching changes, that means that Barta really doesn't care.

As long as the money keeps rolling into the basketball program, Barta and the administration at Iowa don't give two shits about actually winning and competing. It's all about the $$$$

You've got Pike Hammer saying Iowa will win two games going forward. Windsor thinks the Hawkeyes will go 12-5 through the rest of the Big Ten gauntlet.

If we split the difference @ 7 wins for the over/under...who do you think is closer to reality?

Rob, I'm at 7....how many are you thinking? Or is that another article? ;)

I'm thinking Iowa can pull off an upset or 2, assuming they get Garza back and no other significant injuries.

If it's me, I'm definitely taking the under.. Not many easy games on the schedule.

Unfortunately, I agree. This team needs a serious attitude adjustment, I cannot believe they are as bad as they have shown. Something has to change. What I witnessed at Purdue was flat our embarrassing. That was us playing like an average AAU team against a really well coached HS team.

I know Fran isn't a huge defense guy. If that's the case, he better start recruiting some athletes that can run and shoot.

Win 12 games in the Big Ten. You really can’t be serious? Wow lmao!! Iowa would need to run the table at home and steal 3 road games. Not happening in a million years with who we have as coach..
Dead serious. It makes me feel good to know you got a laugh out of my post. You need to learn to laugh more often.

You are a brave man to post that, I wish I could share that optimism.

If Iowa wins 12 B10 games I will buy you a beer. It may not be in person but I will buy you one, probably a 4 pack from Toppling Goliath. You will have earned it if that comes true. I'll be happy to eat crow for doubting you as I BADLY want to see that happen.
It's just one guy's opinion based on my game by game analysis. One down and 11 to go.

11-5 now...

My 12-8 prediction.

Michigan 0-1
Michigan State 0-2

Indiana 1-1
Maryland 1-0
Nebraska 1-1
Ohio State 1-1
Purdue 0-1
Wisconsin 1-1

Minnesota 1-0
Northwestern 2-0
Penn State 1-0
Rutgers 2-0

Illinois 1-0

Note - I gave us a win at Wisconsin...just to put it somewhere. I think we win 1 (out of 2) Tier 1 home game or 1 (out of 3) Tier 2 road game...dropped it on Wisconsin.