The Breakdown: Purdue Embarrasses Hawkeyes

I, honestly, at the point I hope they dont win another game. Maybe after 2 or 3 years of no BIG wins Barta might actually think about getting a new coach.

FM better find a way to beat Debby, or its gonna get brutal up in here.
We won't beat Debby unless Garza is good to go. Once Cook and Kriener pick up their customary two first half fouls it will be Dailey and Till to the rescue.

Copeland, Palmer and Roby will eat like it's the grand buffet.

Iowa leaves defense at home in loss at Mackey Arena:

LINK[/QUOTE like it or not, same players same coaches, same defense, one extra player, different year. Got to realize we're lucky if we go 6 -14 this year... Do you really want Barta to be hiring the next coach. I don't think he has five names in his drawer that he could call...

After last season any decent AD would have required the HC to replace at least one asst coach with someone with solid defensive coaching credentials at the P5 level.

Expecting significant defensive improvement with the same cast and crew is wishful thinking at best.

If the Hawks only win 4 or 5 conference games and Fran isn't required to make significant coaching changes, that means that Barta really doesn't care.

After last season any decent AD would have required the HC to replace at least one asst coach with someone with solid defensive coaching credentials at the P5 level.

Expecting significant defensive improvement with the same cast and crew is wishful thinking at best.

If the Hawks only win 4 or 5 conference games and Fran isn't required to make significant coaching changes, that means that Barta really doesn't care.
Sometimes winning means more to the fans than to the players, coaches, and AD.

How do you leave your defense at home? It's 1/2 the game.
It's like me leaving my wiener at home...isn't going to happen....

How do you leave your defense at home? It's 1/2 the game.
It's like me leaving my wiener at home...isn't going to happen....
Maybe Fran's glasses are actually some kind of sophisticated I-pad and he's actually watching Patrick's games instead of the ones he's supposed to be coaching.

:)

Last edited:
Granted, they took place and two of the tougher road environments in the country, but Iowa looked young and inexperienced at Michigan State and Purdue. That shouldn't be the case with a veteran team, especially last night with a Purdue team that lost four starters. Iowa looked like the team that lost four starters.

11 road games in a row of trailing by 17 points isn't a hiccup. That's a troubling trend.

Can they fix it? We'll find out starting next week at Northwestern.

Were these Hawkeye fans at Mackey last night?

fourbagger.jpeg

There are 5 conference teams ranked in the Top 20 (actually Top 19) per Kenpom. They are Michigan State, Michigan, Nebraska, Purdue and Wisconsin. We have 8 games against this group. It just so happens 4 of the 8 are to open the season. So we could start 0-4...probable if Garza sits again Sunday IMO. But the season is far from lost/over. I think Iowa will still win 12 of the remaining 17 games.

Side Note - Fran certainly doesn't do everything right. But sitting Garza was a smart long term move. We likely lose last night with or without him. He now has 3 more days to get healthier. This will be a plus Sunday and over the remaining 17 games.

Iowa leaves defense at home in loss at Mackey Arena:
I think the first two words of the title to your article adequately describes what happened in West Lafayette. Unfortunately, that same reaction to playing on the road in a Big Ten game has happened in the 10 games prior to that, as well.

There are 5 conference teams ranked in the Top 20 (actually Top 19) per Kenpom. They are Michigan State, Michigan, Nebraska, Purdue and Wisconsin. We have 8 games against this group. It just so happens 4 of the 8 are to open the season. So we could start 0-4...probable if Garza sits again Sunday IMO. But the season is far from lost/over. I think Iowa will still win 12 of the remaining 17 games.

Side Note - Fran certainly doesn't do everything right. But sitting Garza was a smart long term move. We likely lose last night with or without him. He now has 3 more days to get healthier. This will be a plus Sunday and over the remaining 17 games.

9 of those 17 games are against ranked opponents. Which 12 you have them winning? Regardless of whether you go by kenpom, AP poll, etc., that's a meat grinder of a schedule.

upload_2019-1-4_16-8-14.png

Last edited:

Damn Windsor, I know you're an optimist but this is way over the top. It would take a minor miracle for Iowa to win 12 games in the B10.

Granted, they took place and two of the tougher road environments in the country, but Iowa looked young and inexperienced at Michigan State and Purdue. That shouldn't be the case with a veteran team, especially last night with a Purdue team that lost four starters. Iowa looked like the team that lost four starters.

11 road games in a row of trailing by 17 points isn't a hiccup. That's a troubling trend.

Can they fix it? We'll find out starting next week at Northwestern.
That would be a good place to start. They whipped us by well over twenty the last time we played over there.

Look at the attrition we have suffered with our once huge recruiting class of 2019. Andrew Fleming, Brandon Hutton, Christian Williams, Ahmad Wagner and juco Dale Jones all transferred out. Moss is the only one left. Another upperclassman, Brady Ellingson, grad transferred. As you said however, there's still enough veteran experience out there with Baer and the juniors, most of whom have started or been high in the bench rotation since they were freshmen.

9 of those 17 games are against ranked opponents. Which 12 you have them winning? Regardless of whether you go by kenpom, AP poll, etc., that's a meat grinder of a schedule.

View attachment 4757
Lose at OSU, WI and NE. Split the 3 home games against MSU, MI, NE and the road game with IN and we're at 12-8 if we win the rest. I really did look at the schedule when I said 12-8. Win Sunday and I think we are 5-3 with a 5 game winning streak when MSU comes to Carver.