The Breakdown: Jordan Bohannon, Tyler Cook Lead Way at Indiana

Iowa ran some wonderful halfcourt offense last night. The ball moved well.

Moss was a bit sideways so C Mac was the better option last night.

Against Michigan, Iowa leaned on Garza, Joe W and Kriener. Last night it was Cook and J-Bo. Tough team to defend.

And when it plays defense, it’s a solid squad.

Iowa ran some wonderful halfcourt offense last night. The ball moved well.

Moss was a bit sideways so C Mac was the better option last night.

Against Michigan, Iowa leaned on Garza, Joe W and Kriener. Last night it was Cook and J-Bo. Tough team to defend.

And when it plays defense, it’s a solid squad.
We had only a handful of what I thought were defensive lapses. Mostly Garza, his head just wasn't in it or something. But for the most part we made it tough on them and after what they just did to MSU at their place that in and of itself deserves a 'woah'

Offensively I'm just impressed with the shot selection. Even JBos last 3 wasn't what I'd call a bad shot for him. (granted shot clock was under 5 I think) But he was under control and got it off quick. It was a big shot but not some crazy totally unbelievable one for him if you've watched him play much.

Frans offensive sets, and sets off motion are as good of stuff that you’ll see.
Oh, and we scored a wide open layup again on baseline In bound play.

Yes, the high-low post with any combination of Garza, Cook, Kriener, Baer has been really good. you could really rotate any player into the low post area when there is a mismatch which is what they should be looking for.

I have always complained about Fran's defense double teaming too early before a player needs help and then a kickout pass killing the hawks with a shot from the perimeter. But it helped us last night as IU did it.

Great spacing and ball reversal on some of those sets

I have to say I did not have much hope for the hawks this year after last year. Joe W has been a big addition, they are playing tough, hustle defense and on the boards. I wish the shooters and some wing players would crash the offensive glass a little more but maybe they are coached to not get caught 90 feet from their defensive basket when the other team gets a board. C Mac is filling in well and making a few tough baskets each game. And it seems like there is better offensive flow leading to at least 3-4 guys a nite, different guys, being able to score.

The perfect 2019-2020 wishful thinking season ................Cook returns.
If Cook returns this will be a hell of a team next fall. Only losing Baer, Cook, Jbo as seniors,, soph. year for Joe, Pemsl and Nunge filling Baer spot. Be able to Redshirt Patrick to get some meat on his bones. Hopefully Cook realizes he isnt ready for the league

I think Cook will go but he could be influenced by how this season ends up. A nice run to the Sweet 16 and he might be thinking about coming back for a longer run next year.

That’s just speculation, though.

If you read quotes from Cook, Iowa players, and Fran at the beginning of the year it was pretty apparent that this is Cook’s last year. I have not heard anything recently that would change that, I just think that is kind of wishful thinking by Iowa fans. To me Iowa having a successful season only makes it easier for TC to go, getting the NCAA tournament monkey off his back. Tyler has always felt he was an NBA guy and that was always his goal, nothing wrong with that.

Now, whether or not that would be a smart decision for TC and whether or not he would actually get drafted is a completly different story. The NBA G league is filled with guys who left college early because they thougt they were NBA guys.

If you read quotes from Cook, Iowa players, and Fran at the beginning of the year it was pretty apparent that this is Cook’s last year. I have not heard anything recently that would change that, I just think that is kind of wishful thinking by Iowa fans. To me Iowa having a successful season only makes it easier for TC to go, getting the NCAA tournament monkey off his back. Tyler has always felt he was an NBA guy and that was always his goal, nothing wrong with that.

Now, whether or not that would be a smart decision for TC and whether or not he would actually get drafted is a completly different story. The NBA G league is filled with guys who left college early because they thougt they were NBA guys.

I think last year sucked so bad that a lot of people had an itch to leave. If he's happy now, it's easier to make the "right" decision. People who don't think Cook improved this year are blind. He made a huge jump from last year to this year. If he makes that same jump next year he has a legit shot at the NBA. If he leaves this year the odds would be considerably lower.

I think last year sucked so bad that a lot of people had an itch to leave. If he's happy now, it's easier to make the "right" decision. People who don't think Cook improved this year are blind. He made a huge jump from last year to this year. If he makes that same jump next year he has a legit shot at the NBA. If he leaves this year the odds would be considerably lower.
I agree. Next year he might make all of his dunks. That alone increases his scoring average 2 points a game.

Looking at the roster, returning talent, incoming talent, strength of the conference, etc. we should be playing in the NCAA for at least a 5 year stretch. But this year’s team has a chip on their shoulder. And they are confident in themselves...even if fans worry because of the past. I truly believe this is a Sweet 16 team. Every year is different with different challenges and variables. This year’s team has to capitalize on their seed, talent, etc.

That's what made Bo Ryan's offense so effective. They were almost impossible to double in the post. Do it and Kaminsky or whoever would kick it out to the open man on the perimeter.

If Cook kicks it out and the shooter converts, they won't be double teaming Cook in the post much longer.

Our whole team has been unselfish this year. Everyone making the extra pass. And that extra pass has been leading to a whole lot of good looks and trips to the line.