The Breakdown: Hawkeyes Show Toughness in Upset of Michigan

RobHowe

Administrator
Against a top team, the Hawkeyes showed they were the tougher outfit Friday night in knocking off No. 5 Michigan. It served as relief, vindication and affirmation. The Breakdown:

LINK

I didn't put this in my writeup but if you watch to the end of the video linked at the top, you will see Fran talking about what the Dance Marathon, which began last night, means to him in applauding the effort.

The guy has faults. He drives me crazy when he doesn't use timeouts. But he's a good man.

Well, if I'm looking at the Michigan game in context of the two MSU games, Purdue, and Minnesota...either Fran finally got something through to his players, or it was a reprieve from our consistent ability to deviate from a game plan. In last night's game, when Michigan went on their run in the second half, we consistently worked the ball to the post (Garza scored a couple buckets down low, then hit a 3)...and got good, high percentage shots to answer their run. There was no jacking threes or out of control behavior, because someone felt they needed to be the man. They worked the ball as a team.

If this team continues to pound down low and be patient in their offensive sets...good things will happen. The only glaring weakness to me on this team is that we don't have a player who, late in the clock, can get his own shot and hit it consistently. Moss could be the man...but yesterday...he was guarded and hit couldn't hit anything. Michigan has good defensive guards though...it's the strength of their team. If we work through Cook, Garza, and Kreiner...we have a shot to make a run in the B10 Tourney and in the NCAA tourney.

Honestly, one thing that really surprised me, our bigs are alot better than their bigs...by a long shot.

Again, it came down to defense for me. When this team plays competent defense, it can win. Its offense is that good.

But, as you said, in the context of last night's game. Iowa beat Michigan up at the center position. Teske was in early foul trouble and the Wolverines had no one behind him that was effective.

Garza and Kriener combined for 34 points and 18 rebounds.

As I wrote, Iowa beat the No. 5 team in the country with Moss going scoreless, and Cook and Bohannon combining for 15 points.

Those three guys and the rest of the squad played defense. It wasn't great. Michigan missed some easy shots, especially in the first half. But the Hawkeyes were active on that end and contested the shots, something they didn't do at Minnesota, who made easy layup after easy layup, and shot wide-open threes.

A bit surprised MI has made it this far into the season with only two losses. Sure seemed to miss a presence in the paint at both ends.

I hope this game is the defining moment when the lights switched on for the entire team. We may not win the B1G reg season or even the B1G tournament, but this team looks capable of making a deep run into the NCAA’s after playing through the toughest conference in America, top to bottom.

I hope this game is the defining moment when the lights switched on for the entire team. We may not win the B1G reg season or even the B1G tournament, but this team looks capable of making a deep run into the NCAA’s after playing through the toughest conference in America, top to bottom.

Since 1999, just getting out of the first weekend is a stumbling block. Hell, getting TO the weekend would have been high-water under Alford.

I'm really hoping Kriener can become more consistent because he's one of our best players when he's playing well. He's had a tendency, like Moss, to just totally disappear at times. I really like his athleticism and effort so he just needs to polish his game a little more to really be a force.

I didn't put this in my writeup but if you watch to the end of the video linked at the top, you will see Fran talking about what the Dance Marathon, which began last night, means to him in applauding the effort.

The guy has faults. He drives me crazy when he doesn't use timeouts. But he's a good man.

I'll respectfully disagree. The definition of a good man doesn't mean perfect. None of us are. In this video the ref would have been in his right to punch him in the face and Fran could have been charged with misdemeanor assault in most all state.

I'll use the definition of good man to someone who can get his point across without physical intimidation. Especially over a BB game.

I'll respectfully disagree. The definition of a good man doesn't mean perfect. None of us are. In this video the ref would have been in his right to punch him in the face and Fran could have been charged with misdemeanor assault in most all state.

I'll use the definition of good man to someone who can get his point across without physical intimidation. Especially over a BB game.

Misdemeanor assault?!? Lol yelling isn't assault.

Iowa Code:
  • any act intended to result in offensive physical contact or to place another in fear of imminent offensive physical contact, coupled with the apparent ability to execute the act...

In many states:
... assault charges relate to words spoken in anger face to face, especially if they lead to a fight later. However, with the rise of social media, it is possible for aggressive things you say online to constitute assault as well. The "empty" threats you make online could be assault if the other people believes they are credible threats.

At the 8 second mark that could have been construed as an attack even without words.

Uh yeah.
People should listen to Phil Parker and Kirk on the sideline...it ain’t “Golly, gosh, goodness..”

Fran had a 30 second paint peeler with Wymer in the first half last night - I loved every second of it.

I’ve seen Iowa fail since TD with a “Christian” Alford at the helm and a flatliner in Lickliter.

Fran is Irish, he gets really pissed off - big effing deal.

17-5

You can disagree. I’m confident I know him better than you, someone who watches his sideline demeanor on TV and makes concrete judgements not based on anything else.

Steve Alford was much more calm on the sideline. I can say with utmost confidence that Fran is a better man than Steve.

Again, knowing how Fran gives back to this community, raises his kids well, is a devoted husband, dedicates himself to fighting cancer, etc., I have no hesitation in calling him a good man.

I think you are expecting perfection even though you qualified your previous post saying you weren’t.

You may not like Fran and Kirk as coaches. I’ve criticized both in stories through the years when I’ve disagreed with decisions or felt they’ve underperformed.

They’re both good people. Not perfect, but good.

You can disagree. I’m confident I know him better than you, someone who watches his sideline demeanor on TV and makes concrete judgements not based on anything else.

Steve Alford was much more calm on the sideline. I can say with utmost confidence that Fran is a better man than Steve.

Again, knowing how Fran gives back to this community, raises his kids well, is a devoted husband, dedicates himself to fighting cancer, etc., I have no hesitation in calling him a good man.

I think you are expecting perfection even though you qualified your previous post saying you weren’t.

You may not like Fran and Kirk as coaches. I’ve criticized both in stories through the years when I’ve disagreed with decisions or felt they’ve underperformed.

They’re both good people. Not perfect, but good.

No, not expecting perfection. You've mentioned your background before. Add violence to it. I'm glad he's cleaned up the demeanor on the bench. Truly am. I can get past imperfections. Coming at someone like that...no. Not a good man. A typical guy trying to get better...ya that I can agree with and admire that. A good man.... I'll let that one pass for now. And I will disagree.

Kirk overall is a pretty darned good coach with control issues. Fran, is an OK coach with ups and downs. I'll leave being a good man to those who don't act like that. It wasn't a one time outburst. That underlying anger is still there. Hope he can control it. If he didn't he would have been on a fast track out.

My main beef with KF (you brought him into it). is when he allowed a wounded CJ to get pummeled by Florida which was another form of abuse. Will never understand that.

Back to FM, Personally having a parent come at me like Fran came at the ref only not having that parent stop.... just too similar. Not normal behavior and shouldn't be tolerated anymore than what MSU tolerated.

Why calling not wanting to see that behavior out of a public figuring is demanding perfection is wrong. One time...OK, but still wrong. This wasn't like him being upset with Dolph. He was out of control angry....over a game. I've gotten past the behavior as he has controlled it at least in public. He has a was to go to earn "good man" status.

If I run into KF someday at Stead with my child, I'll be the first to say thx for his donations and mean it. I had concussions from the abuse. I'll always be skeptical of KF about AR.

No, not expecting perfection. You've mentioned your background before. Add violence to it. I'm glad he's cleaned up the demeanor on the bench. Truly am. I can get past imperfections. Coming at someone like that...no. Not a good man. A typical guy trying to get better...ya that I can agree with and admire that. A good man.... I'll let that one pass for now. And I will disagree.

Kirk overall is a pretty darned good coach with control issues. Fran, is an OK coach with ups and downs. I'll leave being a good man to those who don't act like that. It wasn't a one time outburst. That underlying anger is still there. Hope he can control it. If he didn't he would have been on a fast track out.

My main beef with KF (you brought him into it). is when he allowed a wounded CJ to get pummeled by Florida which was another form of abuse. Will never understand that.

Back to FM, Personally having a parent come at me like Fran came at the ref only not having that parent stop.... just too similar. Not normal behavior and shouldn't be tolerated anymore than what MSU tolerated.

Why calling not wanting to see that behavior out of a public figuring is demanding perfection is wrong. One time...OK, but still wrong. This wasn't like him being upset with Dolph. He was out of control angry....over a game. I've gotten past the behavior as he has controlled it at least in public. He has a was to go to earn "good man" status.

If I run into KF someday at Stead with my child, I'll be the first to say thx for his donations and mean it. I had concussions from the abuse. I'll always be skeptical of KF about AR.

Sorry I went down this road with you again. That’s my fault.

I have experienced plenty of violence in my background. Not the point.

The difference is I can separate my experiences, and not be overly judgmental and bias because of them. You tend over-relate your experiences to what you think you know about others when you don’t know them. It’s a perception based on bias and not knowledge.

And now I’m done.

The difference is I can separate my experiences, and not be overly judgmental and bias because of them. You tend over-relate your experiences to what you think you know about others when you don’t know them. It’s a perception based on bias and not knowledge.

And now I’m done.

Well that was well said.

And now I’m done.

I haven't had an ongoing battle with MSU fans or suggested "jokingly" to kill someone. You are making an assumption about what I do or don't know. I can make assumptions about your motives. You are more impacted than you care to admit even with your side swipe. You have your bias. You don't want to admit it, at least where it impacts you professionally. You the past does impact me. It impacts you. Calling him a good man who about erupts in violence is a big step. It's also cheap to use the "I'm done" gimmick especially when you hold the power switch. Nice.

That was clearly his low water mark as far as his temper is concerned. Even more so than the chair slamming incident at MSU or the scorers table incident where his foot wasn't too far from Hansen's grill (Bobby had his jaw broken in the NBA)

I was at the Kohl that night. Hayes simply was stronger in the lower body than Olesaini. He was the aggressor on both ends. That's where the trouble started.

He accepted his one game suspension and I'm sure he regrets it to this day. He had a similiar meltdown at Maryland last year but that one was legitimate. They mugged Bohannon, elbowed Pemsl in the head on a screen, and stood over Cook after knocking him down. Fran had a legitimate gripe. And I can't wait for a piece of Maryland I a couple weeks!

Said this in another thread recently but I don't think you can point to one player Fran has ever coached that has ever said anything bad about him. Even players who have transferred

To me that says a lot more about the man than judging a person's life based on a couple 10 second video clips

Latest posts