The Breakdown: Hawkeyes' Hot Shooting Sinks Illinois

RobHowe

Administrator
The Breakdown: While Illinois talked trash Thursday, the Hawkeyes did their talking on the scoreboard. STORY (with interviews, box score and photos):

LINK

Good write-up, Rob, although I take exception to your lede:

“CHICAGO – Iowa likes it rough. And now Illinois knows it.”

Fran McCaffrey’s teams have never, ever liked it “rough.” In fact, Iowa has struggled against teams that play physical ball — Maryland, Nebraska, Michigan State, Purdue. Save for Pemsl and his domination inside, teh Hawks would have had trouble with Iowa State.

Sadly, McCaffrey’s teams generally lack a physicality to compete night in, night out in the B1G.

What happened against Illinois was that when play got chippy, Iowa didn’t back down. Then figured out how to pound the ball inside to open the perimeter where they shot lights out.

Give me a squad of Pemsl’s and then perhaps we can talk about a team that “likes” to play “rough.”

Last edited:

Fran McCaffrey’s teams have never, ever liked it “rough.” In fact, Iowa has struggled against teams that play physical ball — Maryland, Nebraska, Michigan State, Purdue. Save for Pemsl and his domination inside, teh Hawks would have had trouble with Iowa State.

Sadly, McCaffrey’s teams generally lack a physicality to compete night in, night out in the B1G.

What happened against Illinois was that when play got chippy, Iowa didn’t back down. Then figured out how to pound the ball inside to open the perimeter where they shot lights out.

Give me a squad of Pemsl’s and then perhaps we can talk about a team that “likes” to play “rough.”
And don't forget Penn State, especially last year.

Wisconsin is another team that's not afraid to get physical.

I think what Rob and the players were referring to was not so much the physical play, but trash talking. It went on right up to the final buzzer when Austin Ash got yakked at, and actually shoved.

It was a little reminiscent of the Iowa State game.

The question will always be asked. Where was that fire from the Maryland game to the end of the regular season? I will still contend that we got just complacent enough that desperate teams were exposing the slightest let down in effort. Whether it was defense, blocking out, loose balls, or making the extra pass.

Final note. It's funny how much Pemsl improved this year by not playing. Last year at this time posters on this board were ready to exist him to then Iowa Conference!

There’s mental toughness as well as physical. Iowa showed both last night.

Bohannon had a big ice pack on his right hip in the locker room. It’s an injury he’s had for a few weeks. Kriener said he’d be ready to go.

Kriener plays rough

And don't forget Penn State, especially last year.

Wisconsin is another team that's not afraid to get physical.

I think what Rob and the players were referring to was not so much the physical play, but trash talking. It went on right up to the final buzzer when Austin Ash got yakked at, and actually shoved.

It was a little reminiscent of the Iowa State game.

The question will always be asked. Where was that fire from the Maryland game to the end of the regular season? I will still contend that we got just complacent enough that desperate teams were exposing the slightest let down in effort. Whether it was defense, blocking out, loose balls, or making the extra pass.

Final note. It's funny how much Pemsl improved this year by not playing. Last year at this time posters on this board were ready to exist him to then Iowa Conference!
My view is that the (unconscious bias) of the Illinois players was being displayed, offended that "Midwestern Boys" like Wieskamp, Baer, CM, JB, Kriener, were laying it on them. Illinois fought back with (unconscious bias) trash talk.