The Breakdown: Hawkeyes Halt Road Skid By Locking Down Northwestern

It’s about playing competent D. Doesn’t have to be great with the multiple weapons on offense.

[QUOTE="RobHowe, post: 1800189, member: 41027"]It’s about playing competent D. Doesn’t have to be great with the multiple weapons on offense.[/QUOTE]
But that wouldn't hurt.. Giving up 63 on the road to a team that's been a thorn in our side is pretty impressive. But yeah for sure without Cook we played just fine almost surprisingly so. That game was closer than the 10 pt margin between us but it felt like our O wasn't totally clicking (Cook being out for one thing) but it was a game where it felt like we should have had an easier win than it was but they played tough it was fun to watch.

Also Fran should get a reprieve from his detractors for at least one game. He did a hell of a job. The TV folks went on and on about how he railed into the team when he called that TO after we got down by 6 or so early in the 2nd half. He pushed all the right buttons pretty much last night

[QUOTE="RobHowe, post: 1800189, member: 41027"]It’s about playing competent D. Doesn’t have to be great with the multiple weapons on offense.
But that wouldn't hurt.. Giving up 63 on the road to a team that's been a thorn in our side is pretty impressive. But yeah for sure without Cook we played just fine almost surprisingly so. That game was closer than the 10 pt margin between us but it felt like our O wasn't totally clicking (Cook being out for one thing) but it was a game where it felt like we should have had an easier win than it was but they played tough it was fun to watch.

Also Fran should get a reprieve from his detractors for at least one game. He did a hell of a job. The TV folks went on and on about how he railed into the team when he called that TO after we got down by 6 or so early in the 2nd half. He pushed all the right buttons pretty much last night[/QUOTE]

Sure. I'd be all for Iowa being a lockdown defensive team with the offensive weapons it has. It's just not realistic with the current roster.

I did think Iowa had the better game plan last night. Northwestern tried a zone it hardly ever played before and the Hawkeyes did a nice job dicing it up. 26 FT attempts on the road and getting multiple key Wildcats in foul trouble was impressive. During the key run, Wieskamp and Garza were unguardable.

For context to help gauge Iowa's defense last night:

Northwestern averaged 0.94 points per possession. On average that type of performance would rank Iowa in the 60s range for defensive efficiency.

upload_2019-1-10_11-30-30.png

For context to help gauge Iowa's defense last night:

Northwestern averaged 0.94 points per possession. On average that type of performance would rank Iowa in the 60s range for defensive efficiency.

View attachment 4814
And for the most part we all agreed after last season that the defense just had to improve to "okay" with our offensive weapons.

We really hurt them inside without Cook. That was impressive. Garza is a major factor for this team. Putting pressure on the refs to make calls helps the Hawks. Shooting jump shots and 3 pointers early make it easy on the defense/refs. They also lead to run outs. Go inside/out for your 3 pointers and more will go in. Our spacing is good with our shooters. Garza and Cook on the high/low is tough to guard.

Connor is still the best at doing the little entry passes that put the ball where the big guys need it. Small thing that goes a long way. Puts guys in great positions when they receive the ball. He has the patience to wait for the post up.

Moss really gave us some big shots last night too. 2 years ago, Jok was the guy to stop some runs. Moss did that a few times last night late in shot clock. We seemed to really miss that last year. Good teams have a guy like that to go to.

Baer quietly had a really solid game all around.

Maishe was really active defensively and should see a few more minutes for that reason. His long reach is a problem for people. Moved his feet really well a few times shutting guys down.

Wiesy is going to be special. I've had high expectations, but tried to hold them back for a freshman coming into this year. He just looks and feels like he belongs. Doesn't get down if he misses a shot. Very high basketball IQ for a true freshman. It will only get better.

Have to give credit to Fran for calling a timeout early in 2nd half. I would like to see that more as many others have said also.

I was very skeptical of the team going into the game based on past experience. They did very well competing on defense as well.

Re: That Video - you can tell he had something to say to Kriener as he stood up. I don't know that Ryan came back in the game after that? He probably did, but not for long.

I especially like Moss and JW asserting themselves more on offense. With Garza almost back to full strength and getting Cook back in the lineup, we are going to have serious scoring options. That is even without mentioning JBo.

Re: That Video - you can tell he had something to say to Kriener as he stood up. I don't know that Ryan came back in the game after that? He probably did, but not for long.

He definitely appeared to be the main target of the "speech." I noticed that when they showed it on TV.

Knowing Ryan, he will use it to get better. He's a tough kid.

Also Fran should get a reprieve from his detractors for at least one game. He did a hell of a job. The TV folks went on and on about how he railed into the team when he called that TO after we got down by 6 or so early in the 2nd half. He pushed all the right buttons pretty much last night

Sure. I'd be all for Iowa being a lockdown defensive team with the offensive weapons it has. It's just not realistic with the current roster.

I did think Iowa had the better game plan last night. Northwestern tried a zone it hardly ever played before and the Hawkeyes did a nice job dicing it up. 26 FT attempts on the road and getting multiple key Wildcats in foul trouble was impressive. During the key run, Wieskamp and Garza were unguardable.[/QUOTE]
Yeah I'm not going to have any delusions of grandeur here and think that they can keep this up defensively against every BIG opponent. Especially on the road. But that was fun to watch and encouraging.
Our offense with the roster we have can be a mismatch nightmare for teams. Because we can take what they give us. Last night they really tried to keep JBo from getting going. They were overplaying every screen he and Moss were running off of. So we took advantage and we went through Garza and Joe W more. It's tough to defend everything we can do. The strain we can put on teams by not only getting them in foul trouble but making our free throws like we do just puts them in a pick your poison type of situation.

I did think Iowa had the better game plan last night. Northwestern tried a zone it hardly ever played before and the Hawkeyes did a nice job dicing it up. 26 FT attempts on the road and getting multiple key Wildcats in foul trouble was impressive. During the key run, Wieskamp and Garza were unguardable.
Yeah I'm not going to have any delusions of grandeur here and think that they can keep this up defensively against every BIG opponent. Especially on the road. But that was fun to watch and encouraging.
Our offense with the roster we have can be a mismatch nightmare for teams. Because we can take what they give us. Last night they really tried to keep JBo from getting going. They were overplaying every screen he and Moss were running off of. So we took advantage and we went through Garza and Joe W more. It's tough to defend everything we can do. The strain we can put on teams by not only getting them in foul trouble but making our free throws like we do just puts them in a pick your poison type of situation.[/QUOTE]

Hawkeyes need to be heavy zone defensive team. It's OK to mix in man and I like the 3/4-court trap because it takes time off the clock for the other team. Iowa isn't getting a lot of steals out of it, but it shortens the amount of time it has to play D in the half court. There are going to be games where teams shoot well from deep, but Iowa just can't match up well enough in man defense to play it more than time to time.

Our offense with the roster we have can be a mismatch nightmare for teams. Because we can take what they give us. Last night they really tried to keep JBo from getting going. They were overplaying every screen he and Moss were running off of. So we took advantage and we went through Garza and Joe W more. It's tough to defend everything we can do. The strain we can put on teams by not only getting them in foul trouble but making our free throws like we do just puts them in a pick your poison type of situation.

Hawkeyes need to be heavy zone defensive team. It's OK to mix in man and I like the 3/4-court trap because it takes time off the clock for the other team. Iowa isn't getting a lot of steals out of it, but it shortens the amount of time it has to play D in the half court. There are going to be games where teams shoot well from deep, but Iowa just can't match up well enough in man defense to play it more than time to time.[/QUOTE]
I'd hope you'd get no debate from anyone on that. We have been fortunate that the last two games Neb and NW shot bad from deep. How much credit we get for that I'm not sure but I like that we are rebounding well and not giving up a ton of 2nd shots. We used to have problems rebounding out of zones (a lot of teams usually do) To me we keep that up and the good overall play will keep happening

Is Iowa a better team defensively without Cook? Offensively? Sometimes others can shine, play better as a team, without a minute burning, touches burning player. There ends up being more movement, more helping out on defense, more players willing to be "the guy" without "the guy" on the court.

Hawkeyes need to be heavy zone defensive team. It's OK to mix in man and I like the 3/4-court trap because it takes time off the clock for the other team. Iowa isn't getting a lot of steals out of it, but it shortens the amount of time it has to play D in the half court. There are going to be games where teams shoot well from deep, but Iowa just can't match up well enough in man defense to play it more than time to time.
I'd hope you'd get no debate from anyone on that. We have been fortunate that the last two games Neb and NW shot bad from deep. How much credit we get for that I'm not sure but I like that we are rebounding well and not giving up a ton of 2nd shots. We used to have problems rebounding out of zones (a lot of teams usually do) To me we keep that up and the good overall play will keep happening[/QUOTE]

There's some luck involved, no doubt. But I think credit also needs to be given to Iowa's improvement in closing out in the zone and, as a said, more of a connection in playing together in the zone.

The Hawkeyes rank 39th nationally in three-point field goal defense (29.8 percent). That's down from 313 last year, when they allowed 37.6.

Latest posts