The Breakdown: Hawkeyes Come Up Short Against Wisconsin

The Wisconsin loss was painful for certain, but it is just one of the first setbacks on the road to an undefeated season. They are a first division team in the Big. There is no doubt about that. We need to protect home court from now on. We simply have to win all the games at Carver because the road is brutal. We will have to win 3/4 games on the road to make The Dance.....

We know what the Hawks are capable of. That showed in the Garden and against Pitt. Our defense has vastly improved. We did a nice job on Happ. We have done that the past three games against the Badgers. We had two drastic mistakes on D the last few minutes of the game, especially the three by Trice, the Lad with the despicable name. The game-winning shot came with the ball being inbounded with 3 seconds on the clock. That doesn't happen every time. Just one of those unfortunate crazy things that make being a Hawkeye fan difficult at times.....

We will recover from this. I don't foresee a win at Lansing. If we lose and beat the clones at Carver. That will give us a 5-2 record during an intensely tough stretch. Before the season we really didn't anticipate escaping with 5 victories. We are still on the road to The Dance.....

The substitution patterns are rather odd. Connor was doing well in the first half but didn't see enough action on the court the second half, it appeared. Garza sat entirely too long during the Badger rally to erase our lead. The good news is that we only had 12 turnovers. A few more free throw attempts and we would have won the game. We shot close to 75%, on free throws, close to our season average.....

I am starting to wonder if we should have removed Jack Nunge's redshirt after Cordell's season-ending injury. Don't know if it is too late now. We could have used him last night.....

The way they have played in the non conf games means they probably will be dancing if they have an above 500 record in conference play.

The Wisconsin loss was painful for certain, but it is just one of the first setbacks on the road to an undefeated season. They are a first division team in the Big. There is no doubt about that. We need to protect home court from now on. We simply have to win all the games at Carver because the road is brutal. We will have to win 3/4 games on the road to make The Dance.....

We know what the Hawks are capable of. That showed in the Garden and against Pitt. Our defense has vastly improved. We did a nice job on Happ. We have done that the past three games against the Badgers. We had two drastic mistakes on D the last few minutes of the game, especially the three by Trice, the Lad with the despicable name. The game-winning shot came with the ball being inbounded with 3 seconds on the clock. That doesn't happen every time. Just one of those unfortunate crazy things that make being a Hawkeye fan difficult at times.....

We will recover from this. I don't foresee a win at Lansing. If we lose and beat the clones at Carver. That will give us a 5-2 record during an intensely tough stretch. Before the season we really didn't anticipate escaping with 5 victories. We are still on the road to The Dance.....

The substitution patterns are rather odd. Connor was doing well in the first half but didn't see enough action on the court the second half, it appeared. Garza sat entirely too long during the Badger rally to erase our lead. The good news is that we only had 12 turnovers. A few more free throw attempts and we would have won the game. We shot close to 75%, on free throws, close to our season average.....

I am starting to wonder if we should have removed Jack Nunge's redshirt after Cordell's season-ending injury. Don't know if it is too late now. We could have used him last night.....
I was thinking the same about needing another post after Cordell's redshirt news. I felt his size might have helped on Happ. My biggest concern is Garza needs every foul he has playing interior defense. Any fouls he gets by hedging at the top of the key against faster quicker players hurt his chances to stay out of foul trouble. Having Nunge on hand would not be a bad idea. I do understand Fran wants to balance his classes but he didn't anticipate this.

The way they have played in the non conf games means they probably will be dancing if they have an above 500 record in conference play.
I know I've been posting negatively about this loss and maybe Iowa wins at Michigan State and everyone forgets about this game. It's just upsetting to lose to the Badgers at home. This used to be the type of game we won. Brunner, Woolridge, Rucker, Marble....and the list goes on and on would have found a way to win that game. The crowd was great, we had a late lead, and then the other team makes all the winning plays. It's a very repeated story with Fran's team, whether it's scoring at the end of the half or end of the game, it never seems to work. I could go into why it doesn't work but that's been done to death on this board. I just want them to at least defend the home court. Yes, we have some young players, but we also have seniors, juniors, and sophomores. Who is the leader of this team?

Basketball last spring 2018

Corn:
#1 — Iowa 19% US production
#10 — Wisconsin 3% production

Beef:
#7 — Iowa
#10 — Wisconsin

Pork:
#1 — Iowa. $4,200,000,000
#10 — Wisconsin $600,000,000

Losers at three of the most important food groups ...

Good thing Fran wasn’t out there planting in the spring or raising livestock cause he would have went into that famous stall and taking air out of the ball and the production numbers would be significantly lower. I wouldn’t doubt it if Fran causes droughts and floods too. :eek::D

I know I've been posting negatively about this loss and maybe Iowa wins at Michigan State and everyone forgets about this game. It's just upsetting to lose to the Badgers at home. This used to be the type of game we won. Brunner, Woolridge, Rucker, Marble....and the list goes on and on would have found a way to win that game. The crowd was great, we had a late lead, and then the other team makes all the winning plays. It's a very repeated story with Fran's team, whether it's scoring at the end of the half or end of the game, it never seems to work. I could go into why it doesn't work but that's been done to death on this board. I just want them to at least defend the home court. Yes, we have some young players, but we also have seniors, juniors, and sophomores. Who is the leader of this team?
A Guy Rucker reference! (I know, you meant Luke Recker) Rucker's freshman year was so solid I thought he would develop in to an all-time Iowa great under Davis's tutulege.

Alas, Stevie Wonder came in. The first two things he did were bounce Guy Rucker and Joey Range off the team, basically because he was Alford and things were going to be different now.

Thanks Alford.

I was thinking the same about needing another post after Cordell's redshirt news. I felt his size might have helped on Happ. My biggest concern is Garza needs every foul he has playing interior defense. Any fouls he gets by hedging at the top of the key against faster quicker players hurt his chances to stay out of foul trouble. Having Nunge on hand would not be a bad idea. I do understand Fran wants to balance his classes but he didn't anticipate this.
I'm fairly certain that the Nunge redshirt was also something that he as a player wanted to do. Fran has said after the Pemsl news that the Nunge redshirt is a done deal and they won't pull it. Now I would guess that if Cook or Garza goes down with a long term injury that it would be reconsidered.

I'm fairly certain that the Nunge redshirt was also something that he as a player wanted to do. Fran has said after the Pemsl news that the Nunge redshirt is a done deal and they won't pull it. Now I would guess that if Cook or Garza goes down with a long term injury that it would be reconsidered.
I think we're very near the point no return on pulling Nunge's redshirt, if not past it. It would be unfair to Nunge. And who knows how long it would take to get him into game condition, physically and mentally. It would take a couple weeks of getting his body, and mind, geared back up game mentality instead of practice mentality.

Best coach ever for simulating game conditions in practice? Bobby Knight, easily. It was one of his best attributes as a coach. His practices were guerilla warfare.

In the past few years wasn't one of the complaints on Fran was that he had too many in the rotation. Now he's being forced to shorten it and we're complaining that he should pull a redshirt so we can add a player to the rotation?
I started a thread about it. Recess is over for anyone who thinks they are "along for the ride." We can play nine but we need all nine to be engaged and fighting and ready to handle any situation in the game, including crunch time. We no longer have the luxury of turning to someone else if a certain player doesn't feel it that night or wants to check out early because a couple things dont go their way. The six player core who had to play most of the second half will otherwise be fried by the end of the season.

I started a thread about it. Recess is over for anyone who thinks they are "along for the ride." We can play nine but we need all nine to be engaged and fighting and ready to handle any situation in the game, including crunch time. We no longer have the luxury of turning to someone else if a certain player doesn't feel it that night or wants to check out early because a couple things dont go their way. The six player core who had to play most of the second half will otherwise be fried by the end of the season.

Most teams only have 8 or 9 man rotations. I think that having more hurts the team by not allowing them to get into a rythem. Now most teams have more than 9 scholarship players available to use.

Most teams only have 8 or 9 man rotations. I think that having more hurts the team by not allowing them to get into a rythem. Now most teams have more than 9 scholarship players available to use.
Good point. The point I was making is that six players played 172 out of a possible 200 minutes Friday. We can get away with that at tourney time but not over the grind of a long season. The three players who played the 28 minutes need to carry more weight than that. They cant disappear or shut it down for the night. Fran has fewer options to turn to this year.

More than likely too late for the redshirt.....

Fran probably wants Nunge on the team when Bohannon and company graduate. There will be holes to fill and he will have 2 years of actual game experience then.....

Bohannon, Cook, Moss, Kriener, Dailey will be gone and this is Baer's last season.....

Weiscamp, Garza, and Connor will be a solid nucleus though.....

Unfortunately, against the Badgers, Garza and Mac only played 24 and 22 minutes.....

:cool:

In the past few years wasn't one of the complaints on Fran was that he had too many in the rotation. Now he's being forced to shorten it and we're complaining that he should pull a redshirt so we can add a player to the rotation?
Oh believe me I wish he'd shorten the guard rotation, but we legitimately have a need for a true center to back up Garza. Kreiner is more of an offensive player, doesn't have the height to guard true centers for an extended period.

Watching Minnesota vs Ohio State. This Minnesota post player Mat Stockman looks and moves just like former Hawkeye Russ Millard.

Oh believe me I wish he'd shorten the guard rotation, but we legitimately have a need for a true center to back up Garza. Kreiner is more of an offensive player, doesn't have the height to guard true centers for an extended period.

Kriener is 6'9" with the longest wingspan on the team.