The blocking on Goodson's TD blast last Saturday

uihawk82

I wanted to watch some of the OLine play from Saturday's game and I only got through the game thru the 2nd TD.

But there was no comparison between the blocking on Goodson's TD dash and most of the other run plays. I replayed it about 5 or 6 times just to watch the combo blocks, LaPorta and the left tackle kick their men out, etc. It was the good old fashioned type of great line play by a Kirk Iowa team. Just fun to watch Linderbaum and Schott I think double team a guy then Linderbaum goes off to get a lbkr. The whole line looked great on that play. And it is intricate so part of the problem may be the young blockers just need more experience.

The other running plays you can just see the line whiff on a block here and there with stunting defenders and it is hard for them to get the job done.

I noticed discussion around KF going too conservative in the second half. I just watched the third quarter. NW kicked off and Iowa drove down the field with the run game mixed in with passes, some of which were down field and pretty deep. The result was a FG, but that pushed the score to 17-3 . Then NW started a successful drive, but with only another FG to show for it. Next was NW’s on side kick attempt. No such luck. Iowa’s ball with good field position. The next Iowa drive on a short field featured run and pass. However, we did not go far, but not because we were doing the turtle thing.
So, for three quarters, Padilla was given full use of the play book and used it well. Have not seen the 4th QTR yet, but my read was that Iowa was in complete control through 3 quarters even though it was a low scoring 45 minutes.

Its nice that usually Brian is a bit more attacking that his predecessors. Still its frustrating that they're willing to run 3 plays and punt, when they could be teaching themselves how to win a shoot out. And having more fun

I have since watched the 4th quarter. Still throwing the ball. Conservative, yes. But a two score game with little time remaining and Iowa’s defense called for running the clock. Game ended with another interception by the D.

I wanted to watch some of the OLine play from Saturday's game and I only got through the game thru the 2nd TD.

But there was no comparison between the blocking on Goodson's TD dash and most of the other run plays. I replayed it about 5 or 6 times just to watch the combo blocks, LaPorta and the left tackle kick their men out, etc. It was the good old fashioned type of great line play by a Kirk Iowa team. Just fun to watch Linderbaum and Schott I think double team a guy then Linderbaum goes off to get a lbkr. The whole line looked great on that play. And it is intricate so part of the problem may be the young blockers just need more experience.

The other running plays you can just see the line whiff on a block here and there with stunting defenders and it is hard for them to get the job done.
Inside zone, 4 eyes, 4 hands...basically a 4 on 4 play there too. Both 5 techniques weren't a factor in the play, so it was our RT, RG, C, LG, against the NW backside 3 tech, 1 tech, and both the Mike and Will backers. That's how zone blocking is supposed to work...everybody that we CAN account for got accounted for and the safety guessed wrong and Goodson wasn't really touched.

Inside zone, 4 eyes, 4 hands...basically a 4 on 4 play there too. Both 5 techniques weren't a factor in the play, so it was our RT, RG, C, LG, against the NW backside 3 tech, 1 tech, and both the Mike and Will backers. That's how zone blocking is supposed to work...everybody that we CAN account for got accounted for and the safety guessed wrong and Goodson wasn't really touched.

of course you realize most on this forum don't understand what you've written

I undestand some of what you entered in but I am not that in-depth or studied on the jargon. I do know what they are trying to do and when they do it it is great to watch. A few years ago when Blythe was at the Rams and they were steamrolling the NFL there were multiple YouTube videos describing their zone blocking. great stuff

of course you realize most on this forum don't understand what you've written
I undestand some of what you entered in but I am not that in-depth or studied on the jargon. I do know what they are trying to do and when they do it it is great to watch. A few years ago when Blythe was at the Rams and they were steamrolling the NFL there were multiple YouTube videos describing their zone blocking. great stuff
I will try to put a quick video together tmrw to explain.

The zone blocking scheme has improved the Packer run game by miles. And, that factor has likely extended AR’s active years. (Yes. I am fully aware that AR has lately done some really dumb things)

The zone blocking scheme has improved the Packer run game by miles. And, that factor has likely extended AR’s active years. (Yes. I am fully aware that AR has lately done some really dumb things)

Unfortunately, teams have found they can disrupt kirk's Iowa zone blocking by loading the box. Teams like the Green Bay Packers and any team with tom brady and a really good passing attack make it hard to load the box against the run because those teams will burn you all day passing the ball.

Iowa doesnt have the pass protection and passing game this year so the zone blocking has suffered by having to block too many bodies on every play.