The Big Ten Should have its championship game outside every year!

UP6936

The Big Ten should celebrate who we are, not run away from it! We are *the* preeminent northern football conference. We are the college equivalent of the NFC Central/North. We are the NCAAs "Black and Blue Division!"

The SEC couldn't have a truly cold weather championship in SEC territory if they wanted to. Hell, they could have an outdoor championship in Florida or New Orleans every year and not have to worry about truly cold weather. The pansies still play it in a dome.

We are the Big Ten. It snows here. We're used to it. Embrace it! Celebrate it! Let's be who we are and play our championship outdoors in the cold and even in the snow!

The Big Ten should celebrate who we are, not run away from it! We are *the* preeminent northern football conference. We are the college equivalent of the NFC Central/North. We are the NCAAs "Black and Blue Division!"

The SEC couldn't have a truly cold weather championship in SEC territory if they wanted to. Hell, they could have an outdoor championship in Florida or New Orleans every year and not have to worry about truly cold weather. The pansies still play it in a dome.

We are the Big Ten. It snows here. We're used to it. Embrace it! Celebrate it! Let's be who we are and play our championship outdoors in the cold and even in the snow!

The reason for a championship game is to make money. Not only from TV but from ticket sales. Who wants to go to a game that is technically away in freezing temps, when you can to Lucas Oil, which is SWEET.

I agree with above. The best city would be Chicago but it is an outdoor stadium. The title game isnt just about the game but it is a tough sell to a family when it is 5 degrees out in mid December.

The NC game or the Rose Bowl is never going to be played in freezing weather so playing the Big 10 championship game in cold weather is of no help in prepping for that game. In fact, it may be a hindrance and should be avoided.

I agree with above. The best city would be Chicago but it is an outdoor stadium. The title game isnt just about the game but it is a tough sell to a family when it is 5 degrees out in mid December.

That's the pitch - you send the family to do the Christmas tradin' and Pa goes to the ballgame - wives are going to be much more likely to want to make the trip if they get to go shopping in Chicago out of the deal. Chicago is full of B10 alums, I would buy tickets to the game irregardless of who is playing every year. Kick in Chicago alums of every school and fans who travel to Chicago and you'd have no problem making money. Unfortunately, Chicago doesn't have as many Applebee's and Chili's per capita as the giant strip mall known as Indianapolis, so I can understand why some "fans" wouldn't want to come to Chicago.

The NC game or the Rose Bowl is never going to be played in freezing weather so playing the Big 10 championship game in cold weather is of no help in prepping for that game. In fact, it may be a hindrance and should be avoided.

The NC game or the Rose Bowl is never going to be played in freezing weather so playing the play in games for the Big 10 championship game in cold weather is of no help in prepping for that game. In fact, it may be a hindrance and should be avoided and the late November games in IC, Lincoln, State College, Madison, Ann Arbor, East Lansing, Minneapolis, Champaign and Columbus should ALL be moved to the closest dome, so we should rotate all late season games between Indianapolis, the Metrodump, the Carrier Dome, St. Louis and Ford Field.

There is a reason that Big 10 teams haven't traditionally played after Thanksgiving. It's called inclement weather. It hurts travel and attendance.

Personally I don't want the team with the best portable heaters, hand warmers, cleats, and long underwear to win the championship game. I want the best football team to win.

The NC game or the Rose Bowl is never going to be played in freezing weather so playing the play in games for the Big 10 championship game in cold weather is of no help in prepping for that game. In fact, it may be a hindrance and should be avoided and the late November games in IC, Lincoln, State College, Madison, Ann Arbor, East Lansing, Minneapolis, Champaign and Columbus should ALL be moved to the closest dome, so we should rotate all late season games between Indianapolis, the Metrodump, the Carrier Dome, St. Louis and Ford Field.

The only problem with your argument is that the regular season has a home field advantage. The post season - which includes the championship game should not.

People will always "say" they would go to the game if it is freezing weather, but 20-30% of you that say that won't show up.

If you can have some type of control over keeping things equal for both teams then why not do it.

The only problem with your argument is that the regular season has a home field advantage. The post season - which includes the championship game should not.

People will always "say" they would go to the game if it is freezing weather, but 20-30% of you that say that won't show up.

If you can have some type of control over keeping things equal for both teams then why not do it.

Oh yeah, I forgot that if it snows, it will only snow on one team if the game is played outdoors.

I think its part of the game. To me, that's football weather. I understand all the reasons not to have it outdoors though. That's why I think they they shoudl rotate it between domes around the B10 footprint and maybe 1 out of every 4 years have it somewhere like Soldier Field. If it's really that bad the first time or two then don't schedule them outdoors any more, but they shoudl try it, I think they like it once in a while. I also wouldn't mind having it in the Cowboys stadium. A logn trip for everyone I know, but Dallas is a cool town and it would be a cool venue.

Oh yeah, I forgot that if it snows, it will only snow on one team if the game is played outdoors.

Why are you such a sarcastic *** all the time, I am all for a little sarcasm but it seems that is the only thing you are capable of. Yes, it would snow, rain, sleet, etc..... for both teams but if one team fumbles 4 times because of the weather then the weather had a DIRECT affect on the game. Since we have the ability to keep the weather's affect on championships as minimal as possible then why not?

Why are you such a sarcastic *** all the time, I am all for a little sarcasm but it seems that is the only thing you are capable of. Yes, it would snow, rain, sleet, etc..... for both teams but if one team fumbles 4 times because of the weather then the weather had a DIRECT affect on the game. Since we have the ability to keep the weather's affect on championships as minimal as possible then why not?

You got me - no player has ever fumbled 4 times in a Rose Bowl game. Teams only fumble 4 times in the cold.

The average December temperature in Chicago is a high of 38 and low of 24. That isn't too bad. Even for a night game.

Chicago is a world class city and also serves as Big Ten HQ. Chicago should host the Big Ten Championship every year. It makes too much sense. There are tons of Big Ten alumni and it’s centrally located. Any Big Ten fan base can travel there easily. (For that reason, Chicago should also host the Big Ten Basketball Tournament every year too).

What is so great about Indianapolis? I don't get it.

The only issue is that Soldier Field seats 61,000 – it’s the smallest stadium in the NFL. Big Ten could probably make more money at a larger venue.

You got me - no player has ever fumbled 4 times in a Rose Bowl game. Teams only fumble 4 times in the cold.

You're just TRYING to be an *** now because not everyone shares your opinion. Fumbling 4 times because you were on the take ;) is quite different than fumbling because the ball was too slick.

I understand both sides of the argument but just happen to think that the most fair thing to do is have the game inside.

Football is not just for men. Women and children like it too and enjoy going to games, but they, and 70% of the male audience don't want to attend a game when it is 15 degrees out like it is today.

Latest posts