The Big 10 hate is starting to wear on me...

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Hey, its not the best league. No one is saying that. But it's not that the Big 12, ACC, Pac 10 are that much better...and this blowback against Ohio State losing two championship games, which is what I think this is, is starting to tick me off.

If Iowa wins out, and say they play for the title...its going to be 35 days of Iowa sucks...Iowa sucks, Big Ten sucks...and actually, I think Kirk and Co. can play that into something huge.

It would be some rather impressive motivation to get the team focused and to be well prepared for the game. The bulletin board material would be overflowing and really inspire the players to show the rest of the country what Iowa football is really about.

It actually reminds me of the 2002 championship game...leading up to the game, everyone had pretty much brainwashed all us fans into believing that Miami was just going to kill the Buckeyes. We all know how that turned out.

I posted this in the football forum as well but here are some numbers to back up your sentiment...
------------
Because I'm getting tired of hearing about Ohio State's recent struggles in the NCG and how that somehow makes Iowa not worthy of a NCG bid I decided to take a look at the history of the BCS title game, specifically performance by conference. Here's what we have...

(Apparently the site doesn't do well with tables/tabs etc... so it looks kinda sloppy)

Year Champion Conf. Runner Up Conf.
1999 Tennessee SEC Florida State ACC
2000 Florida State ACC Va Tech Big East
2001 Oklahoma Big 12 Florida State ACC
2002 Miami Big East Nebraska Big 12
2003 Ohio State Big 10 Miami Big East
2004 LSU SEC Oklahoma Big 12
2005 USC PAC 10 Oklahoma Big 12
2006 Texas Big 12 USC Pac 10
2007 Florida SEC Ohio State Big 10
2008 LSU SEC Ohio State Big 10
2009 Florida SEC Oklahoma Big 12

SEC is batting 1.000 when it comes to national titles. They have never lost a BCS championship game. In the past 11 years the SEC has five NCG appearances and have come away with five championships. Impressive.

Big Ten has only been represented by Ohio State in the NCG and OSU has gone 1 for 3 in championship games (.333) , losing their last two appearances.

The Big 12 has been represented in the NCG in six of the eleven years of the BCS' history. In those six years the conference has come away with 2 National Champions in Oklahoma (2001) and Texas(2006). This of course means that they have lost four national title games, three of those losses coming from Oklahoma. Oklahoma is a dreadful 1 for 4 in title games (.250).

For some reason I forget that USC only has one national title. It seems like they should at least have a couple of them. I guess they did split that one year but that doesn't count.

Success Rates by conference
SEC - 5 for 5 (1.000)
Pac 10 - 1 for 2 (.500)
Big Ten - 1 for 3 (.333)
Big 12 - 2 for 6 (.333)
ACC - 1 for 3 (.333)
Big East - 1 for 3 (.333)

Success Rates by team (w/ multiple appearances)

LSU - 2 for 2 (1.000)
Florida - 2 for 2 (1.000)
USC - 1 for 2 (.500)
Miami - 1 for 2 (.500)
Florida State - 1 for 3 (.333)
Ohio State - 1 for 3 (.333)
Oklahoma - 1 for 4 (.250)

So somebody explain to me again where the hatred for the Big 10 comes? It's clear that the SEC is the elite conference in the last eleven years, I just don't know how you can fathom arguing that. 5 for 5 in title games is amazing. But after that each conference have identical success, rather failure, rates with Oklahoma being the biggest joke of them all. I'm not claiming Big Ten superiority, I just don't want to hear one more person bring up Ohio State in regards to Iowa's NCG hopes unless they follow that up by suggesting Texas should not be included because of Oklahoma's failures.

Hey, its not the best league. No one is saying that. But it's not that the Big 12, ACC, Pac 10 are that much better...and this blowback against Ohio State losing two championship games, which is what I think this is, is starting to tick me off.

If Iowa wins out, and say they play for the title...its going to be 35 days of Iowa sucks...Iowa sucks, Big Ten sucks...and actually, I think Kirk and Co. can play that into something huge.

Just like they can keep playing the "respect" card too with being MSU being favored this week. Perfectly fine by me. I'm more than happy ******* everyone off who wants Iowa to lose because they "suck" yet keep on winning.
________
Ferrari

Last edited:
I was just listening to Dan McNeil on his show on Chicago radio Score670AM..he is a professed Big Ten football fan and he is having eddie Podolak on the program this morning at some point,yet, he just said that the Big Ten is the weakest BCS conference. Said that if Iowa is the #7 team in the country, the country is in trouble. Said that Tennessee would beat every team in the Big Ten easily.

This from a guy who says he lives and breathes Big Ten football. From a guy professing to admire good o-line and d-line play most. Good defense. ect...

The most galling thing is how all this negativity about the Big Ten and Iowa is right on the heels of the how much both Florida and Bama struggled at home vs Arkansas and the Gamecocks..in games that were not pretty at all, lots of turnovers and penalties and not much offense...and that was prettier than Iowa over wisky?

All we can do is grin and bear it, until bowl season,then the Big Ten,and Iowa specifically, has simply got to go out and win. Only way to shut them up.

I was just listening to Dan McNeil on his show on Chicago radio Score670AM..he is a professed Big Ten football fan and he is having eddie Podolak on the program this morning at some point,yet, he just said that the Big Ten is the weakest BCS conference. Said that if Iowa is the #7 team in the country, the country is in trouble. Said that Tennessee would beat every team in the Big Ten easily.

This from a guy who says he lives and breathes Big Ten football. From a guy professing to admire good o-line and d-line play most. Good defense. ect...

The most galling thing is how all this negativity about the Big Ten and Iowa is right on the heels of the how much both Florida and Bama struggled at home vs Arkansas and the Gamecocks..in games that were not pretty at all, lots of turnovers and penalties and not much offense...and that was prettier than Iowa over wisky?

All we can do is grin and bear it, until bowl season,then the Big Ten,and Iowa specifically, has simply got to go out and win. Only way to shut them up.

Very true. The conference has laid an egg in the bowl games the last few years, and that's all a lot of people around the country have to go on. Hopefully the Hawkeyes get the opportunity on the big stage to prove themselves.
________
Live sex webshows

Last edited:
Just listened to the Podolak interview on the Score....Eddie defended the Big Ten, citing the colder,rainy,windy weather they play in producing games that just look less pretty than the warm weather teams.

Way to go Eddie!!

The fact that we are undefeated and they HAVE to talk about us... is just killing them. I love it! Can you imagine if we run the table and they have to spend a whole month talking about the Hawks... HA! Even if it's negitive talk... I will chuckle every time they run their collective mouths...

It actually reminds me of the 2002 championship game...leading up to the game, everyone had pretty much brainwashed all us fans into believing that Miami was just going to kill the Buckeyes. We all know how that turned out.

Just to show that these things happen in cycles, OSU curb-stomping Florida was pretty much guaranteed by everyone 3 years ago. Just sayin.

Jon after reading and listening to you for several years I have never seen you so confident in a game. I know you dont gamble but if you did I really feel you would bet the farm on this one. I hope you are right. However, why shouldnt people bash the Big 10, weve proved nothing the past few years. Could we all just try to follow the Captains lead and quietly let it all play out. However if this season does play out,you better ban me from the trip Jon because I will be chirping like a peacock.

It is really not that tough to see where the hate comes from.

OSU sucks. Michigan sucks. Penn St. is not overly impressive. Iowa has struggled with weak teams. We got killed in bowls last year. We have lost quite a few out of conference games this year (The MAC wore out some Big 10 teams this year).

I think we kind of have to own it. The Big 10 is not that great this year. I don't think it should detract what Iowa has done this year. If they beat the top 4 teams on the road this year, they deserve all of the love that will come to them.

I look at it this way. If Iowa makes it to the NC game and win it. Then the right team all these years representing the Big-Ten finally got in.

Hey Ghost, if all the Big 10 teams are so pathetic, then why was watching Nebraska and ISU today like watching a JV game? I have to dig pretty deep into the Big 10's teams to see anybody play that bad. Nebraska is supposed to be the North champ? Lighten up!

Go Hawks...10-0 going into the Shoe.

Hey Ghost, if all the Big 10 teams are so pathetic, then why was watching Nebraska and ISU today like watching a JV game? I have to dig pretty deep into the Big 10's teams to see anybody play that bad. Nebraska is supposed to be the North champ? Lighten up!

Go Hawks...10-0 going into the Shoe.

When did I ever say the Big XII was any good? The Big XII looks worse than the Big 10 this year. Much worse.

The question was why do people think the Big 10 sucks so much. I answered that the Big 10 hasn't really done much to prove people wrong.

I'm with Jon on this. Now I'm listening to an ISU post-game talk show and they are gloating about how today showed how deep the Big 12 North is????!!!! Excuse me!!!! And ESPN and other media will jump on the bandwagon.

Then we have 'Bama and Tennesse in a snoozefest yet they are saying how this reminds them of an NFL game and praising the defense but when Iowa and other Big 10 teams play in low scoring defensive battles or any game that we don't score over 28...well we all know what is said.

It is getting to be quite the overkill. Big Ten doesn't have the luxury of playing with our beach tans and warm weather every weekend. I'd love to see SEC teams play in North country during November and see the SEC "speed" versus Big 10 "toughness". Personally, I'll take toughness over speed. SEC is speedy because they are little b*tches running from the big bullies of the B10! 3-1 under Ferentz against that mighty SEC speed! Big Ten bias is getting old!

Iowa beat a good SEC team in South Carolina 35-10, and ended up being the only BT team to win a bowl game last season. We, meaning Iowa should be judged on our own merits, i.e. performance as a team in games, not because of our conference, and their overall record in bowl/NC games the past several years. Traditionally, we do well vs. the SEC. I think we will match up well, with whoever we play from whatever conference this year. Iowa Hawkeye Pride. BTW, I'd love to see us play Alabama. That would be a game!

This is what makes it tough to argue the Big 10's "strength".

2008-09 Bowl Results for Big 10 Teams

Outback Bowl: Iowa Defeated South Carolina 31-10
Capital One Bowl: Georgia Defeated Michigan State University 24-12
Insight Bowl: Kansas Defeated Minnesota 42-21
Alamo Bowl: Missouri Defeated Northwestern 30-23
Fiesta Bowl: Texas Defeated Ohio 24-12
Champs Sports Bowl:Florida State Defeated Wisconsin 42-13
Rose Bowl: Southern California Defeated Penn State 38-24

2008-09 Big 10 Bowl record: 1-6

What I am unsure about are the rankings of these teams. I'm pretty sure Iowa was favored to win it's game. The only argument I can see is becasue of Bowl tie-ins the Big 10 teams tend to get matched-up against stronger teams in their bowls (i.e. a Big 10 team ranked 15 gets matched-up against a 5th ranked Pac 10 team.

This is what makes it tough to argue the Big 10's "strength".

2008-09 Bowl Results for Big 10 Teams

Outback Bowl: Iowa Defeated South Carolina 31-10
Capital One Bowl: Georgia Defeated Michigan State University 24-12
Insight Bowl: Kansas Defeated Minnesota 42-21
Alamo Bowl: Missouri Defeated Northwestern 30-23
Fiesta Bowl: Texas Defeated Ohio 24-12
Champs Sports Bowl:Florida State Defeated Wisconsin 42-13
Rose Bowl: Southern California Defeated Penn State 38-24

2008-09 Big 10 Bowl record: 1-6

What I am unsure about are the rankings of these teams. I'm pretty sure Iowa was favored to win it's game. The only argument I can see is becasue of Bowl tie-ins the Big 10 teams tend to get matched-up against stronger teams in their bowls (i.e. a Big 10 team ranked 15 gets matched-up against a 5th ranked Pac 10 team.
Agreed. The Big Ten matchups have not been favorable recently. I am not sure who made the matchups, but they seem to not be equal. Plus, when we have 2 teams in BCS, that bumps the teams UP one level. Unfortunately, what most folks nationally see 1-6 (Big Ten sucks). I think the Big Ten needs to turn around the perception with some bowl wins that are we are not necessarily favored to win. Iowa has done their part against the SEC for the most part.