The Athletic's all freshman team...

revkev73

"The Athletic's" all freshman, college football team has been released, just now.

Good news, Tyler Linderbaum represents Iowa on the list.

(Recruited as a defensive lineman, played every game as center, bright future)

Oddly, there are 4 players from the Big Ten. None from Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan.

Great news, if you trust the list, ZERO from Wisconsin and ZERO from Nebraska (Keith Duncan emoji here)

Indiana has one player, a DB.

The other conference team, which has two on the list is...Purdue!

Great recruiting on Tyler, great call to move him to center, and great success for him, so far!

A lot of contributors from the 2018 class thus far (listed below in descending order of recruiting ranking):
  • Waggoner (was a rotation DE this year, more reps toward the end of the year; did not necessarily pop, but starting to carve out a role)
  • Linderbaum (starting C)
  • Petras (QB2)
  • Brents and DJ Johnson (both have played and flashed; need health and consistency)
  • Jenkins (on 2 deeps at OL)
  • Nixon (DT2, definitely flashed potential)
  • Sargent
  • Tracy (playmaking WR,36 for 589, 3 TDs)
  • Noah Shannon (DT2, reps increased as year went on)
  • Doyle (got some starts at MLB due to injuries)
  • Plumb (OT2 all year)
  • Ince (got some reps at OG, especially early in year)
  • Roberts (lots of special teams reps, as well as some at nickel/dime)
  • Ragaini (44 for 385, 2 TDs)
  • Merriweather (good enough last year to not RS, played special teams all year, began season as starter before injury)
  • Benson (important special teams contributor this year)
  • Moss (has numerous starts across his first 2 years, overcame pretty bad hip injury early this year to get back and play well
Guys that have not really made a mark yet:
  • Craddieth (highest ranked recruit from class, hasn't yet found way onto 2 deeps)
  • McDonald (wasn't on 2 deeps, transfered)
  • Lockett (has made an occasional appearance on 2 deep, don't think he has gotten any meaningful reps)
  • Geil and Evans (were not invited to fall camp, both in transfer portal)
  • Klemp (late LB addition to the class, I don't think I have seen him yet on special teams, definitely has not shown up on 2 deep

Have to think Craddieth is a transfer after the season. Lots in front of him.
Hopefully he is the type of player who sees that as a challenge and a way to learn. That is what is going to make him successful on and off the field.

Have to think Craddieth is a transfer after the season. Lots in front of him.

I wonder about him going the Hitchens/Colbert route (DB to LB)? A tough transition, and LB is fairly loaded right now, but we have seen it work before.

Hopefully he is the type of player who sees that as a challenge and a way to learn. That is what is going to make him successful on and off the field.
I wonder about him going the Hitchens/Colbert route (DB to LB)? A tough transition, and LB is fairly loaded right now, but we have seen it work before.
I could just be that he's not as good as anticipated.

I'm not a big believer in recruiting stars; college ball is a way different animal than high school and that film doesn't translate a lot of the time.

We have had plenty of kids who were not recruited heavily or even offered at all, and then they turn out to be studs and in some cases flourish in the NFL like Greenway and Angerer. It would be foolish to think that there aren't also recruiting misses that go the other way where coaches and ratings websites thought they had big talent on their hands but players turned out to be flops.

Regardless of the reason he's not on the depth chart, Ferentz isn't a guy who mixes things up much unless there's an injury or some huge mistakes. I'd hate to waste precious eligibility waiting for an opportunity that's mostly out of my control.

Unless Craddieth has been told that he's forever buried on the depth chart, leaving after your RS Freshman year is a pretty quick bail out. I'd think he'd come back for another year. It's hard to break through, it can be done, but just being a 4* recruit isn't enough.

But who knows what goes through the heads of 19 year olds some times.

Unless Craddieth has been told that he's forever buried on the depth chart, leaving after your RS Freshman year is a pretty quick bail out. I'd think he'd come back for another year. It's hard to break through, it can be done, but just being a 4* recruit isn't enough.

But who knows what goes through the heads of 19 year olds some times.
He can sit by Martin on the bench and wonder why they came to Iowa...

Where did you see that Evans is in the transfer portal? Honestly wouldn't be a bad scenario, with it freeing up a scholarship and all.

It looks like I could be wrong on that. I just tried a search, and nothing showed up. I guess I just assumed he was since he did not get invited to fall camp, and it looks like Geil has announced plans to transfer. Not sure the status of Evans.

Latest posts