The app will be going away soon

I hate the mobile app, FWIW. I installed it and used it for a week or two, then went back to viewing the site in Safari.

Duff, you could be right and will be eventually. The decision to take the app down right now is not entirely revenue based. There are some rights/ownership and control issues involved, as I explained.

I think the climate for an app will return, and I have hired a sales group to sell direct ads for this site and they are off to a solid start. If I can get five or six local advertisers to sponsor an app, then that problem is solved.

But for the next four or so months, it's not going to be an option.

I use the app quite a bit. Its easy and fast.

Create a good thing and destroy it. Happens a lot these days. Oh well im over it

P.S. i knew all along it was about the money!

I had the app and removed it because it didn't allow off topic posts.

Pretty much worthless if it doesn't do that.

Bummer. I browse the app A LOT! I seen a couple posts about using safari... Can I access it in my iPhone? Is it smooth to pull up HN on safari? Cuz if not, work is going to really not be fun.

Bummer. I browse the app A LOT! I seen a couple posts about using safari... Can I access it in my iPhone? Is it smooth to pull up HN on safari? Cuz if not, work is going to really not be fun.

Of course you can. Looks just the same as on a PC. The only thing I don't like about it is trying to go to a certain forum. You can't choose. Maybe Jon can find a work-around to help with that if he is ridding himself of the app.

Probably 80-90% of my use is from my phone but just using the safari browser, not the app. I tried the app, but because of certain limitations in quirks for the website, I just didn't like it.

If I can though, I prefer my laptop as I can type faster and of course, the screen is much bigger.

only thing I don't like about it is trying to go to a certain forum. You can't choose. Maybe Jon can find a work-around to help with that if he is ridding himself of the app.

that does suck. Hopefully that'll be solved with the move to the cyclonefanatic setup.

Of course you can. Looks just the same as on a PC. The only thing I don't like about it is trying to go to a certain forum. You can't choose. Maybe Jon can find a work-around to help with that if he is ridding himself of the app.

Yeah...trying to click on "Forums" up in the gold bar and trying to pick from the drop down before your phone just loads the Forums page again is kind of a pain, but I figured out how to get past that. If you go up to the "here you are: HawkeyeNation Forums/Forums/ and click on Forums, it will load the list of all the forums. I probably didn't explain it well...but give it a try.

I would much rather explore all add supported options before any serious look at fee for app. Will b last resort

Yeah...trying to click on "Forums" up in the gold bar and trying to pick from the drop down before your phone just loads the Forums page again is kind of a pain, but I figured out how to get past that. If you go up to the "here you are: HawkeyeNation Forums/Forums/ and click on Forums, it will load the list of all the forums. I probably didn't explain it well...but give it a try.

Ah yes that works. Thanks!

Hadn't ever even looked at that.

Well this news ruined my day, I love the how quick it is to just bring the app up and cruise through the threads.

I would much rather explore all add supported options before any serious look at fee for app. Will b last resort

Really? Going into football season on top of that? It does kinda feel like a breakup of sorts....What type of dollar amount would it take and with how many donors? You might not have to call it a "pay" site if it can be subsidized by donors that just mail in subsidies. Staying away from the costs involved in billing, etc.

I know how convienent it is to read and post here on the app (as I'm sure you're aware), how high of number of users are there that will be affected?