The Almost Mutiny

hawkinn3

I am short on details here I know but I just remembered this. This was a game in 06 or 07, the offense was playing horribly and conservatively (shocking), it was late in the first half in a close game with 4th and short on the other team's side of the field. Kirk had the O go out just to try and get an offsides but you could see on tv the entire offense telling the QB to go for it and the announce team was wondering if they would. I remember it being a tense moment and the sideline person asked Kirk about it at the half and he said something to the effect if they had done it they wouldn't be playing anymore.

If you are Jake and you see any hopes (far fetched as they may be) of making the NFL slip away with GD's offense, don't you think about going out and risk a bench by trying to make something happen?

Title of thread made me think more in generalities.

Yea, yea, lots of criticism -- maybe even unprecedented levels -- but we've been here before ... frequently (pretty much annually since 2006, i.m.o.) under KirkFer.

Is this just butt-hurt bluster, lingering a day or 2 longer because it was a REALLY inferior team named ISU, or, is this deeper, eye-opening frustration and realization of the futility that is KirkFer+Gergster? You know, the kind that actually inspires action?

I'm just wondering how much most (not me) will backpedal throughout this week? Even more so when the Corp comes out with Jake and he drives the Hawks down Heinz Field with a 40+ yard TD pass. Then follows it up with a CJ naked boot to take a 14 point lead. Then hangs on for a 21-20 loss but Weisman rushes 23 times for 135 yards.

Will it revert to status quo of the last 6 - 8 years, where the Pollys pull their heads out and start chirping while the fence humpers back off toward their usual "maybe he will change" stance just because they watch 3 quarters of competent football (to be followed by the eeked out win at Purdue and the Homecoming loss to Indy)? Will this be just another "Almost Mutiny", like so many that have jumped off the keyboards in the past, or, is this actually one with some sustained depth and breadth?

Bada bing. :eek:
Seriously though, how many times did Tate chew at KOK about not getting the plays in on time?

A lot, but you couldn't blame him. He intensely wanted to win, was a gamer. Would love to have that kind of guy under center again. Was not perfect but he was fun to watch.

Bada bing. :eek:
Seriously though, how many times did Tate chew at KOK about not getting the plays in on time?

And how many people criticized Tate for his on field antics? I loved it, but Tate would be going bat shizz crazy under this regime???

A lot, but you couldn't blame him. He intensely wanted to win, was a gamer. Would love to have that kind of guy under center again. Was not perfect but he was fun to watch.

That's why Beathard isn't playing. Last year didn't he go against kf at the end of a game? Like maybe he was supposed to hand off or kneel down and instead ran for a td. KF doesn't really like anybody with a pulse.

I am short on details here I know but I just remembered this. This was a game in 06 or 07, the offense was playing horribly and conservatively (shocking), it was late in the first half in a close game with 4th and short on the other team's side of the field. Kirk had the O go out just to try and get an offsides but you could see on tv the entire offense telling the QB to go for it and the announce team was wondering if they would. I remember it being a tense moment and the sideline person asked Kirk about it at the half and he said something to the effect if they had done it they wouldn't be playing anymore.

If you are Jake and you see any hopes (far fetched as they may be) of making the NFL slip away with GD's offense, don't you think about going out and risk a bench by trying to make something happen?

My guess is Jake (Rudock, NOT Christensen) is merely trading football for the chance to go to medical school. If he is thinking NFL, it's probably as a team doctor.

Not a knock on him, but even if we win all 3 games thus far convincingly, he is not an NFL QB. I think he is smart enough to know it.

Pretty sure that was Drew Tate's last season on the road at Ohio St. There was a series well into the game where we finally made it past the 50 and then proceeded to get delay of game penalties on 2 of 3 plays. This happened even though we took a timeout or two and still couldn't get the play in. At that point Drew went over to the sideline and exchanged some strategic and well deserved complaints with with KOK and pretty much had to be restrained. On the next play we got another delay of game and Drew spiked the ball resulting in another penalty. By the end we went from almost FG range to a 4 and 37 or something.

In the press conference after the game a defensive OH St player said they knew which plays we were going to run the moment we lined up and that it wasn't hard to figure out.

Turns out we could have just asked the defense which play we needed to run.

And how many people criticized Tate for his on field antics? I loved it, but Tate would be going bat shizz crazy under this regime???
I was and am a big Tate fan. He left it all on the field and it was a shame his senior season had to be affected by that abdominal strain that never went away from fall camp.

He was a dam good QB who reminded me a lot of Brett Favre.

Pretty sure that was Drew Tate's last season on the road at Ohio St. There was a series well into the game where we finally made it past the 50 and then proceeded to get delay of game penalties on 2 of 3 plays. This happened even though we took a timeout or two and still couldn't get the play in. At that point Drew went over to the sideline and exchanged some strategic and well deserved complaints with with KOK and pretty much had to be restrained. On the next play we got another delay of game and Drew spiked the ball resulting in another penalty. By the end we went from almost FG range to a 4 and 37 or something.

In the press conference after the game a defensive OH St player said they knew which plays we were going to run the moment we lined up and that it wasn't hard to figure out.

Turns out we could have just asked the defense which play we needed to run.

The game was at Minnesota in the Metrodome

Latest posts