The 1-3-1 and Iowa's Length

MelroseHawkins

Boy, you wonder if we will be seeing that more as one of Iowa's main defenses going forward. It seemed to wreak havoc on Illinois and they had difficulty passing over it. I thought it really changed the game and pace of game last night.

It definitely helped them string together multiple series which let them cut into the lead. Another positive I saw last night was that MD looked "different" running the offense. He looked flat out bad at it in the first half. But to me... personally, I think it was good sign and shows that they are working to get him there as quick as they can.

Bohannon dribbles way too much. They do what my youth team does and dribble around the perimeter too much. Here I'm yelling at my TV, "Pass the freakin' ball already!".

Bohannon dribbles way too much. They do what my youth team does and dribble around the perimeter too much. Here I'm yelling at my TV, "Pass the freakin' ball already!".
Yeah he and Dailey both did a ton of it. I give some credit to IL for that though. They were up in their shorts all night. But they paid for that with all the fouls and free throws they gave us. Just a damn good thing we took advantage of that.

Yeah he and Dailey both did a ton of it. I give some credit to IL for that though. They were up in their shorts all night. But they paid for that with all the fouls and free throws they gave us. Just a damn good thing we took advantage of that.

Yes they were. coached to be in the grill of the player they are guarding. But, They've done it other games as well.

Did the 5 second rule go away when a player is being guarded while dribbling? It used to be a player had to be so close to the ball handler. Seems like Bohannon had a guy right on him much of the time and now count down was being done. Did that rule go away? Is it now 5 seconds when the ball is dead?

Yes they were. coached to be in the grill of the player they are guarding. But, They've done it other games as well.

Did the 5 second rule go away when a player is being guarded while dribbling? It used to be a player had to be so close to the ball handler. Seems like Bohannon had a guy right on him much of the time and now count down was being done. Did that rule go away? Is it now 5 seconds when the ball is dead?
Good Q as far as I know it still is but like you said they sure could have called it a few times if they wanted to. It might not be a rule anymore. Something worth looking up I couldn't say for sure

Closely guarded rule only applies to someone holding the ball in the front court. No longer applies to dribbling.
And yes, more 1-3-1 and man. And very little 3-2 or 2-3, as we are bad at both.

1 3 1 is fun to coach and watch. Eventually it will get you destroyed. Any team thsg can go baseline, pass well, or shoot 3s will kill you if employed too long. Iowa cant stop penetration so therefore it does stop that. Iowa would destroy a team using it.

IL was a perfect fit. It is like stacking the box against KF. IL is a lot like Iowa only opposite. They lack an inside game. There are two reasons to use 1 3 1. You can't stop s big man ehich isnt applicabe in this case or you cant stop penetration. IL only has 1 effective wing and he disappeared. If he could go baseline or they could swing to him....game over. Neither happenened. Use this against MSU, Wis, or Purdue and we will be needibg to stay away from ledges. Might work on Nebby, Rutgers, or PSU. But at that point we are playing to keep off the bottom.

1 3 1 is fun to coach and watch. Eventually it will get you destroyed. Any team thsg can go baseline, pass well, or shoot 3s will kill you if employed too long. Iowa cant stop penetration so therefore it does stop that. Iowa would destroy a team using it.

IL was a perfect fit. It is like stacking the box against KF. IL is a lot like Iowa only opposite. They lack an inside game. There are two reasons to use 1 3 1. You can't stop s big man ehich isnt applicabe in this case or you cant stop penetration. IL only has 1 effective wing and he disappeared. If he could go baseline or they could swing to him....game over. Neither happenened. Use this against MSU, Wis, or Purdue and we will be needibg to stay away from ledges. Might work on Nebby, Rutgers, or PSU. But at that point we are playing to keep off the bottom.

Agree. Having length where they cant pass over it ir to the baseline is the key. Worked well against Illinois small ball and frustrated them

Good description and it reminds me of Alford's hawks playing Cincinnati I am pretty sure in the NCAAs. I think Huggins was coaching the bearcats and he likes to employ aggressive, pressing defense. Cincinnati came out in a 1-3-1 full court and 3/4 court zone press and the hawks looked like they had never played or practiced against that defense. It was horrible and Alford's response was horrible. If the hawks got the ball over half court they kept throwing it to the wing up high and the bearcats would trap them. You know what happens then, turnovers, bad passes, 5 second counts, steals, travels.

I think Alford waited until it was like 15-3 or so to call a timeout. And he never told his team like you said above to get the ball over the zone, down into the corner which if you do you have an open shot or a 2 or 3 on 1 advantage to the basket. Anyway it reminded me how bad of a game time coach Alford was and he must not have prepared his players

The lead may have got to like 25 to less than 10.

The 1-3-1 was effective, but we have to keep in mind that Illinois hadn't seen it from Iowa, so it wasn't part of their game preparation.

Moving forward, you can bet opposing coaches will have a counter the second Iowa employs it. That's not to say it can't be effective, but you can't surprise teams with a new wrinkle all the time.

Personally, I really don't care what kind of zone we play. The key to any zone is activity, and way too often our players are a split-second too slow to react, be it feet or hand movement. We aren't athletic enough to overcome that.

The 1-3-1 was effective, but we have to keep in mind that Illinois hadn't seen it from Iowa, so it wasn't part of their game preparation.

Moving forward, you can bet opposing coaches will have a counter the second Iowa employs it. That's not to say it can't be effective, but you can't surprise teams with a new wrinkle all the time.

Personally, I really don't care what kind of zone we play. The key to any zone is activity, and way too often our players are a split-second too slow to react, be it feet or hand movement. We aren't athletic enough to overcome that.

Or too lazy

At THIS point we are playing to get off the bottom.

It worked and showed they're trying something, Anything to play better D.

No idea what it means for the future.

Latest posts