That's the #4 team??

We came back against Dayton and Notre Dame. If we could close a game with a lead we'd be undefeated against a tough SOS.

Oh well.

You guys are rediculous. Uthoff shot out his ***. Iowa played their best ball, at least until the end. Iowa state played at about 50% of their abilities until the end. Was really impressed how good iowa is though.........now how about that football schedule

ISU just does not play good defense. Uthoff was wide open on his 3's in the 1st half. Thomas got away with a lot of hand checking and grabbing him off screens in the 2nd half but he was effective.

I still don't get why Iowa didn't use that timeout on one of those two final inbound plays. Clemmons and Uthoff both are seniors and should not make that mistake.

ISU is a pretty good team, but they are not the 4th best team in the country. They have no inside game at all; McKay gets a lot of easy dunks but his post up game is weak.

So the Iowa football team sneaks by all season and they deserve to be top 5. But the same people are knocking an undefeated bball team, who returned all but 1 starter, saying they are overrrated.

Ironic isn't it.

ISU just does not play good defense. Uthoff was wide open on his 3's in the 1st half. Thomas got away with a lot of hand checking and grabbing him off screens in the 2nd half but he was effective.

I still don't get why Iowa didn't use that timeout on one of those two final inbound plays. Clemmons and Uthoff both are seniors and should not make that mistake.

ISU is a pretty good team, but they are not the 4th best team in the country. They have no inside game at all; McKay gets a lot of easy dunks but his post up game is weak.

Exactly. Thomas got super physical with Uthoff in the second half and dared the refs to make a call. Unfortunately for Iowa, they didn't make any. As for McKay, he is just a beneficiary of the excellent guard play by ISU. His offensive game is probably worse than Olaseni's however their lightning quick drives force the bigs to come off him to play help D and he gets lots of easy buckets. If it wasn't for Morris, McKay would be mediocre at best.

Iowa lost the game, but exposed isu for the top 10 frauds that the really are. So in a way, Iowa wins:)

Last edited:
This thread sounds like what everybody said about Iowa football this year.

What? That Iowa St thought the game was close? When they had a total of 66 yards in offense after their final score with about 3 minutes left in the first half? In football, Iowa played defense and that decided the ISU game. In the second half of the basketball game, Iowa St didn't play defense as much as Iowa went cold - the Hawks got the same good looks, but had different results.

If you have a player hitting everything he puts up and shoot 50% or better from 3 you are going to win a lot of games. Not an easy task for anyone to beat that. Iowa will go far this season. Focus on that.

Iowa State did not play their best in the first half, they gave up a lot of early turnovers and just looked flat. Obviously Iowa shot lights out in the first half so that made them look even worse.

If you have a player hitting everything he puts up and shoot 50% or better from 3 you are going to win a lot of games. Not an easy task for anyone to beat that. Iowa will go far this season. Focus on that.

Uthoff played out of his mind in the first half, but played like garbage the rest of the game. Overall for the game, the Hawks shot what they always shoot:

Season FG% .474 Vs ISU .477
Season 3pt% .403 vs ISU .407

The reason Iowa lost though, was because of the sloppy play, and TO. They had 17 TO and they only avg. 11 TO per game. Iowa played a completely and totally pedestrian game. They didn't hang in that game because they shot out of their minds, they shot what they always do. As a Hawk fan though it is hard to take that loss, because they totally melted down and handed the game to ISU in that final minute or so.

This thread sounds like what everybody said about Iowa football this year.

Where is anyone saying that ISU was the easiest game on Iowa's schedule (argued by you I believe)? Where is anyone saying that Iowa would win the "easy Big12" if Iowa were only lucky enough to play in that game (argued by every Clown fan everywhere)?

Uthoff played the half of his life.
Thomas played a damn good game for the Clones. I would doubt either of these two would repeat their performance.

With that said ISU didn't hardly get anything from Naz or Nadar and if these teams played again these two would hit some shots.

I'm not confident the Hawks have a player that underperformed like Naz and Nadar so if the 2 teams played again ISU probably rolls. We also got lucky with having a big lead early that took the crowd out of most the game which probably wouldn't happen again either.

All the feelings above are why the loss is so frustrating... Because we probably won't play that well in a half again and it went to waste.

I was just messing. I apologize. I actually was incredibly impressed by iowa. Uthoff can ball. If iowa shoots like that consistently they might be the 2nd best team in the b10. Going for iowa from here out. More than anything this game should go along ways in helping prepare for conference play for both teams

Didn't see the game, but it must have been a doozy. I haven't seen Iowa State play yet this year except in an exhibition game. It's going to be a long (meaning tiring) season for Iowa and Iowa State, and all college BB teams. Who knows, Iowa and Iowa State may meet again in the NCAAs...

One question - what did Iowa State do to hold Uthoff down in the 2nd half?

Didn't see the game, but it must have been a doozy. I haven't seen Iowa State play yet this year except in an exhibition game. It's going to be a long (meaning tiring) season for Iowa and Iowa State, and all college BB teams. Who knows, Iowa and Iowa State may meet again in the NCAAs...

One question - what did Iowa State do to hold Uthoff down in the 2nd half?

Bumped and held him on cuts. Kept two hands on him when he had the ball. Basically we're going to foul him until the officials called it. Uthoff didn't handle it well, and let it get to him, and the officials let them keep doing it. Wish he could play a more physical game, he is going to need to learn to, because you know that B1G teams will do this exact same thing.

We came back against Dayton and Notre Dame. If we could close a game with a lead we'd be undefeated against a tough SOS.

Oh well.

I guess I'd rather lose to quality teams like these two and Iowa State than beat up on Alcorn State. I like these tough, competitive games.
One side note- Niang (Gorgeous Georges) is a certified jerk. I am glad Iowa has some class and starts 3 Iowa kids. Not like "transfer u."

Putting Iowa fpissing down its leg at the end it was a much better game than last year in Iowa City. Personally I agree that ISU is not the number 4 team right now and I am not sure there is a whole lot more upside to ISU. This teams looks eerily similar to the one that lost in the first round of the NCAA tournament last year. ISU essentially went with six players the entire way. It is unclear what the transfer kid will add once he becomes eligible. Someone's minutes are going to get subtracted and so are their stats. Three ISU players went 38 minutes for ISU. When I look at the Big XII and do a power ranking they have to be below Oklahoma and Kansas. Baylor and Texas have good squads and I would give that they are as capable as those two. They look like a 6 seed for the NCAA to me.

The more we run down ISU about this win, the more we run down Iowa's program.

ISU has a good team. Very good. Iowa lost to them. Time to deal with it.

Bumped and held him on cuts. Kept two hands on him when he had the ball. Basically we're going to foul him until the officials called it. Uthoff didn't handle it well, and let it get to him, and the officials let them keep doing it. Wish he could play a more physical game, he is going to need to learn to, because you know that B1G teams will do this exact same thing.

Aren't they calling all that stuff a foul this year. If they were holding they the whole half, they must have had a sh!t ton of fouls huh? Oh wait they only had 3 with a minute left. Hashtag Hilton Magic.

If you havn't noticed a handfull of top 5 teams have lost this year, not a lot of stability in the top 5 so when we win its always good. Kentucky lost, kansas lost, duke lost, north Carolina lost, and Maryland...theres no dominant team this year like last year.
If there's no dominate teams how come 3 of them are ranked ahead of ISU even with a loss.

Latest posts