That was fun

NikeHawk21

Wish we could play again tomorrow. That had to feel great for the players after last year and raise the excitement for the fan base. Let’s hope Oregon and UConn go on to have great seasons in their leagues.

Positives:

-We had the advantage inside and we dominated with that. Garza looks like he’s taken another step forward

-Cmac played tremendous with passion and smarts

-Moss quietly had two solid nights. He’s an enigma, everyone wants him to be something that he’s not and go out and get 15 a night. He’s a spot up jump shooter, just enjoy watching that

-Kriener looks much stronger and should be a quality big man off the bench

-Defense! As a unit playing much better in that regard. Closing out under control and recovering much better than last year

Areas to improve:

-Turnovers. 18 more tonight. We handled the pressure okay at times but there was times where our guards couldn’t get us initiated into our offense. Cmac helps but I think we are going to need our big men, specifically Cook to relieve pressure

-Weiskamp. Had a tough tournament but I’m not too concerned. He will be a quality player for us he’s just getting his feet wet.

Frans best team he has had at Iowa was the Gesell Woodbury uthoff team that got beat in ncaa tourney . This team would kill that team

Wish we could play again tomorrow. That had to feel great for the players after last year and raise the excitement for the fan base. Let’s hope Oregon and UConn go on to have great seasons in their leagues.

Positives:

-We had the advantage inside and we dominated with that. Garza looks like he’s taken another step forward

-Moss quietly had two solid nights. He’s an enigma, everyone wants him to be something that he’s not and go out and get 15 a night. He’s a spot up jump shooter, just enjoy watching that

-Defense! As a unit playing much better in that regard. Closing out under control and recovering much better than last year

Areas to improve:

-Turnovers. 18 more tonight. We handled the pressure okay at times but there was times where our guards couldn’t get us initiated into our offense. Cmac helps but I think we are going to need our big men, specifically Cook to relieve pressure

-Weiskamp. Had a tough tournament but I’m not too concerned. He will be a quality player for us he’s just getting his feet wet.
I thought Moss still has been a no-show, his effort has been there but I feel like something is still off with hiim. He hasn't turned it over much though and has played good D while hitting a couple threes which is all we really needed of him though

Positives:

Areas to improve:

Like the shorter rotation, part of it out of necessity.

Garza picking up right where he left off at the end of last season. Good complement to Cook.

Keep shooting free throws like this and we will accidentally get to twenty wins.

Bohannon will be better with fewer minutes. Just needs to get back in the swing.

My biggest concern? Foul trouble. But our players managed it well and Fran used the bench like a good baseball manager uses a bullpen.

@NikeHawk21 time to eat it on Conner. He may not be all big ten moving forward, but you’ve been calling him not even a D1 talent all summer. It’s ok to be wrong, I am a lot, but it’s safe to say you “might” be wrong about Garza too.

Crazy what playing defense will do for a team. Can you imagine having these stat lines over 2 games and NOT getting blown out by 20 last year? Iowa had 33 turnovers and shot 44% from the field. Those are losing numbers if you aren't playing good defense.

What that says to me is this can be sustainable. While I am still in prove it mode, when I look at it these wins they just didn't look or feel flukish. Iowa frustrated the more athletic teams defensively. They were active, they were disruptive, they communicated well, and most importantly all of them seem to want to play tougher defense.

As a side note, I think this lax defense stuff all started Pete's Sr. year. That is NOT slamming Pete, that is a knock against the coaching staff. You have to demand your players play with effort on the defensive end of the court. I think a young Cook, Jbo, Pemsl, Kriener, etc. saw Pete's defensive effort and that the coaches didn't demand defensive effort and just followed suit and didn't demand it of themselves either. It shouldn't be on the players to police themselves, that is what coaches are there for, to push them and force them to do the little things that help the team.

Crazy what playing defense will do for a team. Can you imagine having these stat lines over 2 games and NOT getting blown out by 20 last year? Iowa had 33 turnovers and shot 44% from the field. Those are losing numbers if you aren't playing good defense.

What that says to me is this can be sustainable. While I am still in prove it mode, when I look at it these wins they just didn't look or feel flukish. Iowa frustrated the more athletic teams defensively. They were active, they were disruptive, they communicated well, and most importantly all of them seem to want to play tougher defense.

As a side note, I think this lax defense stuff all started Pete's Sr. year. That is NOT slamming Pete, that is a knock against the coaching staff. You have to demand your players play with effort on the defensive end of the court. I think a young Cook, Jbo, Pemsl, Kriener, etc. saw Pete's defensive effort and that the coaches didn't demand defensive effort and just followed suit and didn't demand it of themselves either. It shouldn't be on the players to police themselves, that is what coaches are there for, to push them and force them to do the little things that help the team.
pls remember how fun this was when we are failing down the strech and we want fran fired

I’m giddy for what we saw in these two wins. Solid efforts. No flukes. No lucky bounce of the ball here, no last second shot there. Domination from start to finish of decent programs, with an acknowledgement we can be even better.

But, yes, keep some perspective. Next up?

I’m giddy for what we saw in these two wins. Solid efforts. No flukes. No lucky bounce of the ball here, no last second shot there. Domination from start to finish of decent programs, with an acknowledgement we can be even better.

But, yes, keep some perspective. Next up?
Well, we did see the opposing team miss halftime buzzer shots on back to back nights.:)

That DEFINITELY isn't supposed to happen to Iowa.

This is the same team that supposedly got manhandled in a scrimmage against Missouri only three weeks ago?

Hawks couldn't have come out of NY looking any better. They manhandle the ranked Ducks who then spank ranked Syracuse. Then they dominate UCONN that looked pretty scary the nite before. The cherry on top was seeing Boheim get his ass kicked twice.

Find a post where I said he’s not a D1 talent.
I’m not gonna find it because you didn’t say it. I apologize and was drunk off booze and victory late last night and completely whiffed. I am sorry and apologize. I even spelled Connor’s name wrong. Can we agree that you did however grandstand all summer long about Connor’s worthiness to play at this level?

It can be sustainable but Fran is going to have to keep practicing and demanding the same defensive effort, throughout the season.
I don't think it had anything to do with Pete. I can tell you that a lot of players don't take playing defense seriously (including Pete). They have had success at the high school and AAU level by shooting/scoring the ball better than everyone else. And a lot of coaches see them scoring the ball and recruit these players in the hope that they can get them to engage defensively. It's up to the coaches to make them understand what's expected at this level. Some coaches are better at it than others.

I kinda wonder now what role a healthy pemsl plays on this team. His absence due to injury was noticeable. It smoothed out the rotation and got kriener more minutes which he really took advantage of, especially against Oregon.

I think it’s clear that Connor might have helped this team last year and the record might have looked different. When Christian Williams left last year, it spun a web of shit on Fran’s plan. But he did have a backup plan, and that was Connor. Connor likely beat Williams which is why he was rumored to be leaving. Fran didn’t have a back plan for his kid getting sick. That’s unfortunate and thats tough, and a lot of Iowa fans turned on him the first chance they got. I’m extremely excited that this team might be able to get some redemption.

It is early, but it looks like I will be wrong about this team defensively. I expected improvement just not like this. Because of the lack of length and athleticism, especially in the backcourt, I put a ceiling on this team defensively. If they can continue to communicate on D and it finally looks like they are understanding how defensive rotation works. Along with the effort, the D looks sustainable the rest of the year.

I kinda wonder now what role a healthy pemsl plays on this team. His absence due to injury was noticeable. It smoothed out the rotation and got kriener more minutes which he really took advantage of, especially against Oregon.

I was wondering the same thing. How does his “old school” game fit into this?

Funny, I put the ceiling for this team defensively at the Jok team of 2 years ago. Couldn’t be more happier that it is looking like they are going to exceed that.