Thank God it is Ball State

CAARHawk

Banned
This isn't saying Iowa won't won't pull a Va Tech and turn around to lay an egg against an inferior team the week after a tough loss in a game that ended after 1pm, but I feel better about it being Ball State than a tougher team.

The hangover for this game will be long felt. The emotional component of having to scale back seasonal goals with the fact that they will get back at sometime around dawn is going to make it really hard to get back in gear for next week.

I expect a much closer game next week than anybody would like to see. But if the Hawks had to go straight to Ann Arbor like they did after their last midnight run in the desert, I wouldn't give them a snowball's chance to win.

Last edited:
Yeah ... there will definitely be an emotional "hang-over" from this game.

However, that said, I do believe that we played a quality opponent. Furthermore, I think that the team that executed better, on the whole, was the team that won. Usually that is us ... but not tonight.

This isn't saying Iowa won't won't pull a Va Tech and turn around a lay an egg against an inferior team, the week after a tough loss in a game that ended after 1pm, but I feel better about it being Ball State than a tougher team.

The hangover for this game will be long felt. Add the emotional component of having to scale back seasonal goals with the fact that they will get back at sometime around dawn, is going to make it really hard to get back in gear for next week.

I expect a much closer game next week than anybody would like to see. But if the Hawks had to go straight to Ann Arbor like they did after their last midnight run in the desert, I wouldn't give them a snowball's chance to win.

iowa 100 ball st 0. look for ferentz to leave the starters in to prove a point. ball state is a terrible team.

Why so we can get up score 4 TDs and call off the dogs. Sorry tired of KF BS this is big boy football blow a team completely out and work on problem areas. Make KOF do his job and call real dam plays. This is the difference between Ohio State and being Iowa.

Hawkbench: That is my point. But I am serious about saying I expect the team to be very flat next week. It won't only be emotional, but it will also be physical. An average team would have a good shot against the Hawks next Saturday.

Why so we can get up score 4 TDs and call off the dogs. Sorry tired of KF BS this is big boy football blow a team completely out and work on problem areas. Make KOF do his job and call real dam plays. This is the difference between Ohio State and being Iowa.

Poor logic. Iowa is still a developmental team. We have enough young guys who have worked hard ... and it really helps their development to get into games that get out of hand.

If Iowa's lower teamers execute ... they should be capable of scoring.

Hawkbench: That is my point. But I am serious about saying I expect the team to be very flat next week. It won't only be emotional, but it will also be physical. An average team would have a good shot against the Hawks next Saturday.

i disagree. i think iowa comes out with a fire after ferentz tears into them this week. i look to see the special teams practice until they puke all week, at least i'm hoping. i recall my high school baseball coach making us run until somebody puked after we lost a game 15-0. that's what they need.

Poor logic. Iowa is still a developmental team. We have enough young guys who have worked hard ... and it really helps their development to get into games that get out of hand.

If Iowa's lower teamers execute ... they should be capable of scoring.

I assume your one of the guys that calls in after a loss thinking oh shucks maybe we can win next week after a loss. Tired of the crap. Get ****** and those guys should be ******. They win this game and good shot of the big title game. But from what I saw they have not been working hard enough. Both 1st string O and D should not come out of next weeks game.

Did you just compare high school baseball with FBS football? Seriously? Running these guys till they puke this week is a surefire way to get them beat. They need to recover physically and mentally.

What probably does need to happen is that Iowa needs to pull some redshirts and get some young hungry guys out there on kickoff coverage. Bigger motivator than getting someone to puke would be to have them fear the loss of their job.

I assume your one of the guys that calls in after a loss thinking oh shucks maybe we can win next week after a loss. Tired of the crap. Get ****** and those guys should be ******. They win this game and good shot of the big title game. But from what I saw they have not been working hard enough. Both 1st string O and D should not come out of next weeks game.

My word ... you're not giving our beloved hawks much credit for the comeback that they pulled off.

I'm disappointed about the loss too.

However, I care more about the squad regaining their focus and keeping their eye on the Big 10 title. The ONLY way that we can win the Big 10 title is if the team retains its focus and puts in the effort to get better through EVERY week.

And, part of the team getting better also involves having the lower teamers and/or young guys getting more up to game-speed. After all, the "next man in" has to come from somewhere. Without (experienced) depth, our team would be really be in trouble.

Did you just compare high school baseball with FBS football? Seriously? Running these guys till they puke this week is a surefire way to get them beat. They need to recover physically and mentally.

What probably does need to happen is that Iowa needs to pull some redshirts and get some young hungry guys out there on kickoff coverage. Bigger motivator than getting someone to puke would be to have them fear the loss of their job.

I don't know about pulling more redshirts ... however, you'll have noticed that the coaches started putting starters in on the cover teams afterwards. It was Prater, after all, who recovered the fumbled punt.

Thus, I wouldn't be shocked to see the coaches either look at TR FR or look at starters to help give the special teams woes a boost.

Tried that Morris is not playing on special teams. Do you need a trophy every time you play a sport. Those guys need to work harder. If you ever got your but handed to you in sports did you want to just got to practice and have the coach say ok guys we lost good try. Heck no every coach I had made us run and practiced harder and harder until some one would puke. No one complained either. Dude they need a lot of work.

i was making a point about coaching... the special teams isn't tired mentally or physically. they need practice. obviously enough emphasis hasn't been put on these areas and they have been taken for granted. rather than young guys, i would like to see some veteran defenders put on kick coverage. sash is hungry to blow some people up.

Bob Sanders made his mark on special teams, so did Greenway and Hodge. I am only saying if somebody is physically ready give em a shot. Because, at least early on, I was seeing some veteran non starters out there that were getting toasted.

Also like the idea of putting starters on special teams. But that means you can't cry jf one of these guys gets hurt in the process.

As far as not working enough, it is not the physical work they need. They are making mental mistakes, such as not staying in lanes.

As far as not looking organized, well special teams responsibilities are shared by Wilson and Erb. Bet Wilson was a bit pre-occupied this week.

Latest posts