Thank God for Kirk Ferentz

WinOneThisCentury

Say what you will about the 8-9 win seasons. There isn't one game on our schedule where you would say, we got our asses handed to us physically and the team was ill prepared. Certainly, we have had the occasional bowl fiasco, but his teams don't get outclassed and they play with heart and determination every game.

When you are down 17 in 11 straight road contests...well. Not one change to the coaching staff of the basketball program.

Say what you will about the 8-9 win seasons. There isn't one game on our schedule where you would say, we got our asses handed to us physically and the team was ill prepared. Certainly, we have had the occasional bowl fiasco, but his teams don't get outclassed and they play with heart and determination every game.

When you are down 17 in 11 straight road contests...well. Not one change to the coaching staff of the basketball program.

Excellent point. I do my fair share of complaining about all things Ferentz, but outside of the 2016 penn state game and the rose bowl it’s been a very long time since an Iowa football team has not been competitive. I never turn on a game expecting a team that’s getting blown out for lack of effort. They are fundamentally well coached.

Oh yeah!! and also remember... WHAT HAPPENED WHEN WE FIRED TOM!!!

th

Fran may need go if this conference performance continues this year I will agree however.

Yeah, even though Ferentz wins by getting lucky (or so I'm told) at least he keeps them competitive in most of the games Iowa plays.

Excellent point. I do my fair share of complaining about all things Ferentz, but outside of the 2016 penn state game and the rose bowl it’s been a very long time since an Iowa football team has not been competitive. I never turn on a game expecting a team that’s getting blown out for lack of effort. They are fundamentally well coached.

As do I but every time basketball season rolls around I seem to start to appreciate the guy more for the reasons both of you have mentioned.

Over the years Kirk must've thought: "Thank goodness the AD keeps screwing up the Basketball hire." Back when he and Alford were hired there was a short period of time where the fans thought Steve was the better Bowlsby choice. The best friend any coach can have is an AD with "lil ole us" expectations. Barta wasn't going to get rid of Lick until the Gatens family shoved reality in his face.

I remember saying the same thing when Alford and Lick were our coaches, too. Thank God for KF.

I've had my complaints about KF over the years, but all things considered, there's been a lot more good than bad, and he's been successful. Would I like better? Sure. But the guy has been a good coach. You can bank on winning seasons and a bowl game practically every single season. Occasionally a Top 10 finish. I can't complain.

Quickly running out of patience with Fran, though.

Barta's mission is coming to fruition. He has people thinking KF is a good coach because of the crappy BB coach he hired.

Lower the expectations and life is so much easier.

Iowa Athletics=Mediocrity

I remember saying the same thing when Alford and Lick were our coaches, too. Thank God for KF.

I've had my complaints about KF over the years, but all things considered, there's been a lot more good than bad, and he's been successful. Would I like better? Sure. But the guy has been a good coach. You can bank on winning seasons and a bowl game practically every single season. Occasionally a Top 10 finish. I can't complain.

Quickly running out of patience with Fran, though.

I just wish Kirk could figure out how to win the big ten west. I’m not delusional, Iowa will never be a playoff contender. I just think they need to win the west and it shouldn’t be out of their reach.

Its sort of funny that the barometer we set for basketball is just making the NCAA tournament. That's basically saying you want to finish the year in the top 50. I wonder how many times Ferentz has finished in the top 50 in football? My guess would be like 15 out of 20 years.

Yeah thank God we went 5-4 in the weak west division. What would we ever do without Ferentz?

Excellent post Caddy. You are on it except for the facts of course. The West Teams were playing better than the East teams at the end of the year.

West Team Bowl Victories:
Northwestern
Iowa
Minnesota
Wisconsin

East Team Bowl Victories
Ohio State

Michigan State, Michigan, and Penn State were all pretenders.

One last point, if you ask the Nebraska AD or Scott Frost, nobody in their right mind wants to play Nebraska right now also. So there's that too.

But keep up the good work.

The Iowa football team gave away four games. Lest we forget.

Lol. Kirk and Gary make damn sure they don’t ever play anyone that could beat them so that is why. And we’ve known for yrs how they’ve made out like thieves on the b10 west and crossover fiasco.

Yeah thank God we went 5-4 in the weak west division. What would we ever do without Ferentz?

The OP is talking about comparisons not wanting your judgement only about KF. KF is above avg as a P5 head coach. All things being equal I think Bob Stoops energy, Urban Meyer back in 1998 or some other coaches would have had more success at Iowa in place of KF. But it could have been worse. KF seems to be an above avg person.

Now the OP is just talking about the Bball team winning about 20 games a year with only a +or- minus of a couple of games. If KF is averaging 8-4 or 66% then the Bball team to keep pace would be averaging 20 wins out of 30 games.

They aint been doing that recently. Fran has showed he can put really good teams together, he may not be able to keep them together for a whole season, and his teams dont seem to be very tournament tough. But all of Fran's issues stem back to not great and maybe not even above avg point guard and guard play.

The Iowa football team gave away four games. Lest we forget.

Exactly...so basically they could have won every game if they make a few plays here and there, or don't turn it over in crucial situations. They legitimately could have won every game. They certainly don't get blown out on the road every game for two years.

Think about it, if Fran's teams can make a few more plays on the road, they are only down 15. LOL.

Exactly...so basically they could have won every game if they make a few plays here and there, or don't turn it over in crucial situations. They legitimately could have won every game. They certainly don't get blown out on the road every game for two years.

Think about it, if Fran's teams can make a few more plays on the road, they are only down 15. LOL.
Our AD works hard on trying to avoid losing his coaches to other teams.

Latest posts