Texas vs Iowa in the Insight Bowl

I just remember Andy Brodell out running the Texas secondary. The announcers were so surprised that this white kid from Ankeny was so fast

Ross and co. were lackadaisical in their play, sloppy in their technique. Iowa WR(s) were inconsistent that whole year, Texas DB(s) saw it on film and thought they could just show up and just talk sh!t.

It was nice to see Brodell not only play well, but he was jawing with the Texas DB(s) the moment wasn't too big for him, it finally clicked for him as a WR.

Fozey Whittaker out for the year? He is by far Texas's best offensive talent.

Illinois got lucky last year RGIII was hurt..........Give me a Iowa vs. Texas match up.

Can I trade my Fiesta Bowl tickets from two years ago in for these??? Just kidding I did get rid of those, but purchased them on a 95% chance Iowa was in the Fiesta Bowl. From now on I am going to wait for the announcement.

Neither one of these is an Iowa opponent are they? And what was the big talk?

The implication that Baylor and Texas aren't that good. You hear this from many Hawk fans routinely every year about a lot of Iowa's opponents....such as Minnesota, Northwestern, Iowa State...you know...teams Iowa usually end up struggling with (and often losing to).

Iowa just isn't very good this year. There are very few...if any...bowl teams that could not beat the Hawks.

The implication that Baylor and Texas aren't that good. You hear this from many Hawk fans routinely every year about a lot of Iowa's opponents....such as Minnesota, Northwestern, Iowa State...you know...teams Iowa usually end up struggling with (and often losing to).

Iowa just isn't very good this year. There are very few...if any...bowl teams that could not beat the Hawks.

Did somebody say that Iowa would beat Baylor or Texas? I might not bet any money on it, but it isn't like they wouldn't have a chance. In fact, they would have a pretty decent chance.

The only thing that I'm sure about, is that it would be really stupid to bet on or against Iowa in a bowl game.

Ohhh yessss!!!! The 2006 Alamo bowl. How could we forget. Classic KOK and Ferentz. 4th quarter under 2 mins. Our Defense stops UT. They punt (total shanked punt). We have the ball on their 49 yard line. All we need is a field goal to win. We'd been running the ball hard up the middle all game, having our way. 15 yards and we're in field goal range. What does Iowa run?? A freaking end around reverse, trying to outrun and out athlete a very athletic Texas team. We lose 12 yards on a sack. Weak, weak, WEAK!!!

Ohhh yessss!!!! The 2006 Alamo bowl. How could we forget. Classic KOK and Ferentz. 4th quarter under 2 mins. Our Defense stops UT. They punt (total shanked punt). We have the ball on their 49 yard line. All we need is a field goal to win. We'd been running the ball hard up the middle all game, having our way. 15 yards and we're in field goal range. What does Iowa run?? A freaking end around reverse, trying to outrun and out athlete a very athletic Texas team. We lose 12 yards on a sack. Weak, weak, WEAK!!!

I think Domique Douglas threw an interception on the end around.

Come to think of it, that was DD's last play as a Hawk.

And if it had worked you would have screamed Genius!!! Get real, go coach your son's flag football team. Sick of all the armchair quarterbacks around here!!!

It's not that Kirk/KOK *never* run something exotic....they just usually do it at the absolute worst possible time.

Not at all. It's just funny how when it doesn't work it's the worst call in the world. In the same game we called the tight end pass to Chandler that went for the touchdown and Texas had no idea what hit them. It got called back due to poor execution (alignment) but it was a great call. Didn't hear anyone on hear cheering praises for that one. You just can't play it both ways.

And there are very few bowl teams that Iowa absolutely could not beat. Fair?

I dont believe Texas or Baylor fit into that category. My wife graduated from Texas and we watch most of their games. As Jon mentioned their offense is OFFENSIVE!! Their D however is very good.

Baylor is the exact opposite, great O and bad D. I think we could ball control them and hope to keep RG3 off the field.

My original preference was Hawks to the Gator to play Florida or Auburn,but the more I think about it...it would be Insight to play Texas.
1. Texas is a big name school.
2. Iowa still recruits in Texas.
3. I can already hear the whine from clone fans like clonehomer,who would hate to see Iowa beat Texas in a bowl after Texas crushed them at home. Meanwhile,what bowl is ISU going to? Thats what I thought.
4. I like the date and time of the Insight,actually. It frees me up on 1/2 to flip around to the best Big Ten bowl of the 4 that are running concurrently,or follow them all. If the Hawks are playing in that slot,I only see one game.
And the time slot of a holiday friday nite game is good...no work on saturday,kick back for a few cocktails, excellent spot to relax and concentrate on the game,with no other games going on anywhere.

I endorse Iowa vs Texas in the Insight....hope it happens.

Please don't let it be Baylor. I couldn't stomach watching RG3 railroad our D.

I don't see that..
I see Baylor as Michigan lite - without the Michigan D.

Stack the LOS.
Stop the running game (Baylor doesn't have 'quality bruisers' at OL and RB as Nebraska).
Try to stop the run off their OTs.
Make III pass.

Let Iowa be the bullies.
Works against most Big 12 teams.

Last edited:
And there are very few bowl teams that Iowa absolutely could not beat. Fair?

I dont believe Texas or Baylor fit into that category. My wife graduated from Texas and we watch most of their games. As Jon mentioned their offense is OFFENSIVE!! Their D however is very good.

Baylor is the exact opposite, great O and bad D. I think we could ball control them and hope to keep RG3 off the field.
And how do we do against bad offensive teams with good defenses? See PSU and Nebraska.

And if it had worked you would have screamed Genius!!! Get real, go coach your son's flag football team. Sick of all the armchair quarterbacks around here!!!
The call was bad. Iowa rarely seems to have the type of athletes to make that kind of play work...unless we are playing a bad teams, which was not that case that day.

Please don't let it be Baylor. I couldn't stomach watching RG3 railroad our D.
Actually your saying this based off of him rolling the big 12 teams their gameplay actually plays right into our ds strength we hold the run to minimal and then let our secondary do what they do.

Latest posts