Texas got hosed bigtime

According to CBS, they stated on air that the player can't call a timeout after 4 seconds have elapsed. According to several websites and the NCAA rule book, this rule no longer exists. According to another website, the same thing happened this year in the Oregon v UCSB game.

Very confused right now. If the rule no longer exists then the ref shouldn't be allowed to call another game in his life. If it does exist then the NCAA needs to make a statement to clear the issue up.

According to CBS, they stated on air that the player can't call a timeout after 4 seconds have elapsed. According to several websites and the NCAA rule book, this rule no longer exists. According to another website, the same thing happened this year in the Oregon v UCSB game.

Very confused right now. If the rule no longer exists then the ref shouldn't be allowed to call another game in his life. If it does exist then the NCAA needs to make a statement to clear the issue up.
I would go with that.

Maybe, but they never should have been in that position anyway, should have called the TO sooner on the inbound pass.

I officiated years ago, and the rule then was that you can't call TO after 4 seconds, I guess it has changed. I agree there was contact on Brown's last shot, but very rarely is that called at that point unless it is really major. On the other hand, Brown shot a lot of free throws in the game based on fouls called with very little contact. I think TX git what they deserved.

So, what you are really saying is you picked a team with great athletes and really bad coaching to win the whole thing and now you are ******, right?

Oh wait, I picked Pitt to beat Kansas in the Final Four. Darn!

Didn't see the end of the game but the five second call looks pretty legit.

His first arm chop represents one, second two, third three, fourth four, and the whistle is five. The youtube replay posted above shows he got the ball in his hands just prior to the "2 second mark" on the video, and the whistle was somewhere between 6 and 7 seconds.

He might have been a hair quick but it's easily within a half a second which is acceptable given he has to keep the time in his head.

How about this? Texas made enough mistakes at the end of that game to **** it away. On Arizona's last possession, they missed and Texas got the rebound with right around 12 seconds to play. They had the lead, but the guy who rebounded it elected to call timeout instead of forcing Zona to foul.

The way they played the last 15 seconds of the game, Texas hosed themselves.

Last edited:
The day I cry for or care about a University of Texas team gettig screwd will be the day I win the powerball lottery.

Texas did it to themselves with STUPID play ... WTF did they take a timeout before that 5 sec call anyway?

I watched the replay and he called TO in about 4 seconds, NOT 5. He even called for the TO. What a bull**** call and a crappy call by the refs to end a game like that.

The rule is that you cannot call timeout after 4 seconds. The ref cannot grant a TO called if he has already counted 4--there is no discretion.

The rule is that you cannot call timeout after 4 seconds. The ref cannot grant a TO called if he has already counted 4--there is no discretion.

According to somebody else in this thread that rule no longer exists...

" According to several websites and the NCAA rule book, this rule no longer exists. According to another website, the same thing happened this year in the Oregon v UCSB game."

Actually that's correct about there being no rule about no timeout after 4 seconds has elapsed. However, The count STARTS once C. Joseph touches the ball, not when the ref first signals with his arms, this is to account for any delay/controversy with the timing.

The official rule book states:

"The throw-in shall start and the throw-in team shall have team
control when the ball is at the disposal of a player entitled to the throw-in."

If you use this measure when timing the count, instead of using the arm movements which ARE NOT the official indicator (even though the ref gets in an abbreviated 5th wave) then you can see that Joseph got plenty of time.

It was a good call, and an obvious one once reviewed and when you aren't looking for a conspiracy theory like Skip Bayless. I literally LOL'd at his argument with Andy Katz.

I wanted to comment on J'Covan Brown's last shot attempt as well. The guy had just gone to the charity stripe 6-7 straight possessions to get Texas back into the game by going left to the rack hard, most of the fouls called in that time period were not obvious fouls. On his last attempt he goes right at full speed into three Arizona players that are taller than him.

My questions to the people saying he was fouled....

Would you want a guy that just received 6-7 straight calls to spark a comeback getting the game winning call from the refs at the buzzer? To me that would be much more controversial.

Secondly, what right does Brown have to run full speed at three post/wing players jump into them and loft up a shot, and how in the world is that a foul?

There was contact everywhere for the rebound by both teams as well as being no time left on the clock.

Latest posts