Texas A&M wants outline to leave Big XII

I have to agree with Hunter here. The Big 10 does NOT want the SEC to be right up in the middle of Big 10 country and the only way to pro-actively keep that from happening is to let Missouri know that they are in when the B10 expands in a few years. Without that assurance, Missouri will jump at an SEC invite. I think Missouri would rather be in the Big 10 for culteral and academic reasons but without giving them something they simply can't afford to not take an SEC invite.

I think if TX or OK wanted to court the sec, they would listen. Mizzu just doesnt have it. I agree that if someone, be it sec or B12 pulls the trigger, the B10 has a plan in place. I think the next time we get all shaken up is when my Irish buddies join the party. (I like how the espn bloggers include ND in there blog already). If that happens TX will go solo and everyone else will scramble. Mizzu might end up in the B10 then, but only as an after thought. If all that goes down we will want OK as well and like I said earlier if Mizzu really wants in before that, they will have to do well this year and get OK to come with.

If we expand to 14 my top 2 targets would be Missouri and Notre Dame. They make total sense geographically, and both bring solid football programs. Notre Dame may not be an AAU member, but they are still a very respected school in terms of academics. Missouri has a great location for a Big 10 school, and would bring quite a few new viewers. If the Big 10 goes to 16 teams I would like to see us add Pitt and one other school, preferably Virginia Tech or West Virginia. They are still close to Big 10 country with Ohio and Pennsylvania right there, and also bring in new viewers. Pitt not so much, but they would still be a solid addition. Notre Dame, Missouri, and one of the Virginia's would bring a lot of new viewers so I could live with adding one school in Pitt that doesn't.

I am not a fan of adding Rutgers or Syracuse. I'm also not a fan of adding "island" teams like Duke, North Carolina, UConn, etc. None of those schools make much sense to add. All but Rutgers would bring excellent basketball programs, but they just don't make sense otherwise. They would not fit the Big 10 geographically or culturally, or bring strong football programs. Yea, yea, UConn made a BCS bowl last year, let's see that happen again. And UNC is going to be irrelevant again after the sanctions.

If the Big 10 is going to expand I hope they add teams that make sense on several levels. Unfortunately, given our location there aren't a ton of teams that make sense that would add something to the conference, but I think adding Missouri, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, and one of the 3 Virginia schools would be a solid foursome.

If we expand to 14 my top 2 targets would be Missouri and Notre Dame. They make total sense geographically, and both bring solid football programs. Notre Dame may not be an AAU member, but they are still a very respected school in terms of academics. Missouri has a great location for a Big 10 school, and would bring quite a few new viewers. If the Big 10 goes to 16 teams I would like to see us add Pitt and one other school, preferably Virginia Tech or West Virginia. They are still close to Big 10 country with Ohio and Pennsylvania right there, and also bring in new viewers. Pitt not so much, but they would still be a solid addition. Notre Dame, Missouri, and one of the Virginia's would bring a lot of new viewers so I could live with adding one school in Pitt that doesn't.

I am not a fan of adding Rutgers or Syracuse. I'm also not a fan of adding "island" teams like Duke, North Carolina, UConn, etc. None of those schools make much sense to add. All but Rutgers would bring excellent basketball programs, but they just don't make sense otherwise. They would not fit the Big 10 geographically or culturally, or bring strong football programs. Yea, yea, UConn made a BCS bowl last year, let's see that happen again. And UNC is going to be irrelevant again after the sanctions.

If the Big 10 is going to expand I hope they add teams that make sense on several levels. Unfortunately, given our location there aren't a ton of teams that make sense that would add something to the conference, but I think adding Missouri, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, and one of the 3 Virginia schools would be a solid foursome.

Sounds about right, but the only ones with the ability to make anything happen are the B10, ND, TX or the sec. It has to be one of them or a combo of teams, like I said Mizzu does really well and brings OK in with them. I also dont think the sec or the B10 is in any hurry for it all to happen. So that leaves, ND or a combo package, because TX isnt strong enough yet to stand by themselves. TX does not want to be the one to pull the trigger just yet until they are better and have a good plan for the future. I didnt mean Mizzu wasnt ever going to get in, what I was saying is they wont make it happen by themselves and most likely it would happen due to another, bigger move, by bringing someone else with them, or ND or TX doing something. The sec and B10 have said they are in a holding pattern. AM, BYU, leaving the B12 or joining the B12 is all just sideways moves the B10 cares to much about that. Mizzu is not going to get to much attention from the sec, so there you are back in holding pattern.

Last edited:

Latest posts