Texas A&M Now Member of SEC - Announced By SEC

I don't think so. The Big XII is rock solid now. They're locked in for centuries. Once BYU and Houston and Air Force get on board, they're gonna roll.

who else will the SEC go after? WV? i don't really see who else would fit unless they can nab someone from the ACC.

who would be a better get for the big 12, houston, SMU, or someone else?

who else will the SEC go after? WV? i don't really see who else would fit unless they can nab someone from the ACC.

The SEC will probably still take Mizzou. They flat out told WVU that they weren't welcome in the conference, and the Florida Gators will use their influence to keep other Florida teams out of the conference. So Mizzou is the logical choice. Many people were complaining about how Mizzou's AD didn't put down the SEC rumors when they had their press conference on Thursday. Mizzou will jump ship before they are forced to sign the new concessions for the Big 12, leaving the Big 12 to try to find four teams to get back their championship game.

if Mizzu leaves, makes you wonder if the Big 12 will just add two and stick with 10 teams to up their chances of getting two teams into BCS games then.

i know the champ game is a money maker, but i bet OU and Texas would love to have that option.

if Mizzu leaves, makes you wonder if the Big 12 will just add two and stick with 10 teams to up their chances of getting two teams into BCS games then.

i know the champ game is a money maker, but i bet OU and Texas would love to have that option.

I think stability wise they want to arm themselves and go to 12. Much like the ACC fortified itself by going to 14 the Big 12 is going to try to fortify itself by going back to 12.

seriously? there is no way that either of those teams get in. talk about bringing nothing to the table...

TCU, Louisville, and don't rule out mormons. I think we likely see one of these to get back to ten.

they would be stupid to leave where they are, but I think Arkansas would fit great in the big XII

seriously? there is no way that either of those teams get in. talk about bringing nothing to the table...

TCU, Louisville, and don't rule out mormons. I think we likely see one of these to get back to ten.

they would be stupid to leave where they are, but I think Arkansas would fit great in the big XII

SMU brings a huge Dallas market, but the state of Texas is already locked up market wise, so SMU won't help the B12. Arkansas would never leave the SEC.

SMU brings a huge Dallas market, but the state of Texas is already locked up market wise, so SMU won't help the B12. Arkansas would never leave the SEC.

by no means do I think they would, it would be utterly stupid on their part. they would just fit well in Big XII IMO. have alway thought that

So you replace Nebraska, TAM, Colorado and possibly Mizzoo with TCU, Louisville, BYU and possibly another? Um....ring, ring, ring.....Fox is on the horn and they would like to restructure that new TV deal. :rolleyes:

Big 12 has to have 10 teams at the minimum for Fox to honor the 2nd tier rights. So they'll get back to 10. Texas and OU are openly against the championship game and 12 teams though. The championship game probably wouldn't be an overall moneymaker based on the value of any 3 teams added.

Also, IMO, something that isn't brought up is I think UT is still annoyed from 2007 or 2008 when them, OU, and TT all finished with the same Big 12 record but they were left out of the championship game. With no championship game, it brings back the possibility of shared champions. I think this is something that is appealing to the big schools in a backdoor way because they will likely have some happier fans as it likely means more championships.

As for long term stability the only thing that will give that is getting schools the best deal possible, at least comparable to the other conferences. Also, it's figuring out how the LHN will work within the conference. This whole thing is about money. If the Big 12 can find out a way to maximize their revenue relative to other conferences it will be fine. If not, in 6 years we're right back to where we started.

Big 12 has to have 10 teams at the minimum for Fox to honor the 2nd tier rights. So they'll get back to 10. Texas and OU are openly against the championship game and 12 teams though. The championship game probably wouldn't be an overall moneymaker based on the value of any 3 teams added.

Also, IMO, something that isn't brought up is I think UT is still annoyed from 2007 or 2008 when them, OU, and TT all finished with the same Big 12 record but they were left out of the championship game. With no championship game, it brings back the possibility of shared champions. I think this is something that is appealing to the big schools in a backdoor way because they will likely have some happier fans as it likely means more championships.

As for long term stability the only thing that will give that is getting schools the best deal possible, at least comparable to the other conferences. Also, it's figuring out how the LHN will work within the conference. This whole thing is about money. If the Big 12 can find out a way to maximize their revenue relative to other conferences it will be fine. If not, in 6 years we're right back to where we started.

If Missouri leaves, which may be possible (who can say for sure?) How unstable does the Big 12 become? I believe they can find one team to come and convince them that everything is alright, but if they lose another one, it may be difficult to pick up the pieces. Not impossible, but difficult. The one thing that the Big 12 has going for them right now, is nobody seems to want any of their schools with the exception of the Big East. And who wants to go to the Big East???

Even if Missouri moved to the SEC the Big 12 will have survived. It will be adding at least one team and possibly two, depending on Missouri's decision. Trying to find two replacements the equal of A&M and Missouri will be difficult. Both were AAU institutions and have good fan support. There isn't much to pick from within the geographical footprint of the Big 12.

One option not mentioned is going to 16 if Missouri stays, add the seven Big East teams. Since Texas doesn't want that it won't fly.

I think BYU will be added even though I don't like it. As an independent they offer the path of least resistance, and they would like the TV deal as it allows them to run games on their Mormon network if they aren't picked up on regular TV. I don't like how they use missions as an excuse to have a team full of guys in the mid-20s.

I'd prefer to keep Mizzou (and I think they'll stay) and just add Louisville - although that will be tougher than BYU. My hope is that this will collapse the Big East, TCU refuses to join, and then they can join the Big 12 without any problems. It's cold-blooded, especially considering the situation ISU found themselves in as recently as a week ago. There is no room for concern here, this is big business, and some eggs will have to be cracked to make the Big 12 omlette. I could see West Virginia too, even though it makes little geographic sense. They actually are about as far away from Ames as Oklahoma and they are closer than the Texas schools so it's not as far as it seems.

Louisville has less fans than ISU ... they bring nothing to the table

If Big XII does pick up Louisville, they might as well get Cincinnati, too. :confused:

If SEC takes Missouri, then Big XII takes WVU.

Then go get TCU, BYU, and Boise, to get to 14.

As for the last two spots ... Houston, SMU, Rice, Memphis, Tulsa ???

Last edited:
West Virginia might be a good pickup by the B12, BYU and/or TCU would definitely be good ones as well.

I don’t get the fascination with the Big 12 adding Louisville, no question that it’s a great basketball school, but conference realignment isn’t about basketball.

I went back the other day and checked out L’ville’s overall record and going back to 1980, they have a sub .500 record and the program hasn’t been relevant since Petrino left for the NFL. Not to mention, the average home attendance (http://uoflcardgame.com/football-attendance/) doesn’t exactly make up for the loss of eyeballs nationally and fanbases that Nebraska & AtM bought to the Big 12.

If the Big 12 must have 10 schools to get the 2nd tier money from FOX Sports, the new commish would be on the phone immediately to the Chancellor/President of BYU to gauge their interest in giving up football Independence and membership in the WCC for all other sports to join the Big 12. In terms of adding a brand and eyeballs from sea to sea, BYU is the obvious choice for getting back to 10 and call it good. If BYU says thanks, but no thanks, then i'd start to panic.

West Virginia would be a good addition for football, but In a state that I believe is smaller than Iowa, they wouldn’t increase the number of eyeballs tuning for Big 12 games and to me, the addition of Cincinnati would be “more out there†than L’ville is.

Cincy is a commuter school. Nobody is even mentioning them.

I think people are overanalyzing the TV money thing though. There is a big market for sports and for some reason these networks keep throwing more money out there. Look at the Big 12 2nd tier rights. It makes no sense how much money there is there. But there is only so many properties for so much real estate. IMO the conversion of Versus to the NBC sports network could also throw a wrench into things. Could be real interesting there.

The eyeballs thing really only matters in regard to starting a conference network like the Big 10 Network or the Pac 12 network. Just my opinion of course.

Latest posts