Tests Show No Illegal Drugs; Parents Confront Ferentz

homerHAWKeye777

I'm glad you are not my parent! Parents trust him to play that role while they have their children in his program.

LOL! How much hand holding does a parent/player want?

Sorry, but I'm glad you're not my kid. When was the last time you knew a parent of 105+ kids? (you cannot forget that Ferentz has his own family ... and that's in addition to all the past players whom he's been a parental figure to)

And, furthermore, recruiting is a tough business. Head coaches only have a limited window to "do their thing" ... and Ferentz needs to do his part to help the program as a whole too.

Had Ferentz laid his healing hands upon the aching muscles and strained kidneys of the young men in question within one day, they would not have needed hospitalization in the first instance. Ferentz performs miracles.

No, you're confusing Ferentz with Pat Fitzgerald.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

We'll see how people handle a "what if" coaching decision to lighten workouts going forward leading to a 6-6 season next fall. We'll see how folks like that!

Okay, that said every parent probably thinks his/her child is top priority. Problem is there are about 120 kids on the team and another 25 or so kids Coach Ferentz is trying to sign with the Hawks next week whose parents think their child is top priority.

Also, the timing could not have been worse with recruiting in high gear and the coaching staff probably working overtime to keep schools from poaching Iowa's committed recruits and trying to stay in the running with the few remaining prospects. Coach Ferentz has enough on his plate without needing to deal with this health issue in late January. But he is dealing with it, just not as quickly as some expect him to deal with it.

I'm sure Coach Ferentz is trying to do the right thing. So folks, and you too Jon Miller, please back off a little and give our head coach the benefit of the doubt that he is doing all that he can do considering the circumstances and the Iowa fans passion for winning teams and January bowl games.

The parents were pisssed off is an understatement, end of story...read the article Miller posted. It wasnt related to missed flights, so try again on that front.

Nothing excuses it, nothing. The fact is the parents were not happy and that is all that matters.

I respectfully disagree. The players and coaching staff are a family as a WHOLE. Even with "Papa Kirk" gone for a brief stint ... there are still integral members of the Hawkeye family tending to the young men.

It's frankly foolish for a parent to get their nose too out of joint about Ferentz not being there. And besides, I'm willing to bet that Ferentz was still quick to make sure where his concerns were directed. The issue is that a "head man" of something as big as a major football program cannot be everywhere at once. Some parents may not be able to wrap their heads around that fact ... but it doesn't make it any less of a fact.

Besides, who treats the kids anyhow? Who ensures that the treatment of the football players is top-notch in the first place? Ferentz and Co have a top-rate medical staff who are doing just that.

Look at it this other way ... when a player gets injured in a way that knocks them out for the season ... the player spends most of their time with the support staff. Ferentz and Co don't hold their hands. The players understand that ... and most of the parents understand that too.

Looks like parents weren't happy he didn't return from the recruiting trail... surprised that nobody brought that up before.

Ferentz ought to run for president. At least he would get more love, and it would be an easier job than the one he has now.

Looks like parents weren't happy he didn't return from the recruiting trail... surprised that nobody brought that up before.

I just don't get the whole "he should have been there sooner" nonsense. Players were there Monday and he saw them Wednesday. Big deal. We are talking about one frickin' day here. What would he have done anyway as some have brought up.

Ferentz couldn't have done anything and that's not the real zinger here. For those who know about PR it's perception. Had he come back on a redeye he would have won the PR battle. Had he been at the mic to say nothing he would have won the PR battle. It's all perception pure and simple. It doesn't even count if he got on a phone and called every parent with a kid in the hospital....he wasn't there physically.

I disagree...but, Barta should have returned for PC.

Ferentz couldn't have done anything and that's not the real zinger here. For those who know about PR it's perception. Had he come back on a redeye he would have won the PR battle. Had he been at the mic to say nothing he would have won the PR battle. It's all perception pure and simple. It doesn't even count if he got on a phone and called every parent with a kid in the hospital....he wasn't there physically.

Yeah, he just needs to have a press conference and answer some questions and this "firestorm" will go away.

+1. It's all about the leadership. Leaders lead. They get out in front. I'm not saying Kirk isn't a leader; he clearly is. But he fumbled the ball on this one.

Well said.

Big deal. We are talking about one frickin' day here. What would he have done anyway as some have brought up.

Had Ferentz laid his healing hands upon the aching muscles and strained kidneys of the young men in question within one day, they would not have needed hospitalization in the first instance. Ferentz performs miracles.

I just don't get the whole "he should have been there sooner" nonsense. Players were there Monday and he saw them Wednesday. Big deal. We are talking about one frickin' day here. What would he have done anyway as some have brought up.
I'm glad you are not my parent! Parents trust him to play that role while they have their children in his program.

So he wasn't there physically; so what? might there have been mitigating cirumstances like flight connections or something else? If he hadn't been in touch with the parents at all, you might have a point. There has been plenty of positive feedback from players and parents alike; some of you girls need to go change your tampons.

So he wasn't there physically; so what? might there have been mitigating cirumstances like flight connections or something else? If he hadn't been in touch with the parents at all, you might have a point. There has been plenty of positive feedback from players and parents alike; some of you girls need to go change your tampons.

The parents were pisssed off is an understatement, end of story...read the article Miller posted. It wasnt related to missed flights, so try again on that front.

Nothing excuses it, nothing. The fact is the parents were not happy and that is all that matters.

Latest posts