Tennessee QB opting out

Ha. Well I know you're being a little hyperbolic about it. When asked about this earlier in the yr I think he's said something like they base everything mostly on practice.... That and the winning and losing of games. Well the guy hasn't lost many games so that's probably why mostly. He's just not crazy about playing musical chairs at the QB position during the yr if he can help it I guess.

And to me that's insane. Because other positions have guys get benched for poor performance regardless of the outcome of games. And what position is more important then QB? Hill doesn't look like a D1 Qb to me. He's got a strong enough arm for it that's obvious. But pretty much everything else that goes into being a QB he's just not very good at.
Your on to something, ( that and the winning and losing of games) . As starter the team has won more games than lost, so Hill keeps the role. Same can be said why BF was never demoted by Kirk. If Beth hadn't stepped in and took care of the OC situation I honestly believe BF would be OC again next year on that bases alone. Even with Bartas stupid ppg contract somewhere in fine print I'm sure Kirk would had a out to keep him as O.C.
Kirk would definitely be the pub owner that the waiters/ waitresses would be splitting their tips equally with each other at the end of the shift. I'm not saying right or wrong in that philosophy but sooner or later in today's NIL some of these guys are bailing for opportunities that they will be appreciated for their individualism a little too. Sticky situation as there is no I in team but there is a m and an e in it.

Last edited:
Your on to something, ( that and the winning and losing of games) . As starter the team has won more games than lost, so Hill keeps the role. Same can be said why BF was never demoted by Kirk. If Beth hadn't stepped in and took care of the OC situation I honestly believe BF would be OC again next year on that bases alone. Even with Bartas stupid ppg contract somewhere in fine print I'm sure Kirk would had a out to keep him as O.C.
Kirk would definitely be the pub owner that the waiters/ waitresses would be splitting their tips equally with each other at the end of the shift. I'm not saying right or wrong in that philosophy but sooner or later in today's NIL some of these guys are bailing for opportunities that they will be appreciated for their individualism a little too. Sticky situation as there is no I in team but there is a m and an e in it.
Totally agree with you on that. 100% The out to that whole BS deal was his current contract woulda been ripped up. There woulda been nothing stopping KF from just giving him a new one. Hell he coulda even given him a raise. So yeah had Beth not done what she did KF woulda just made a mockery of that whole thing.

Yes but their offense isn’t playing our offense.
Yes but their defense is and their defensive line is good. I know they lost a lot in the secondary to the portal, but I am sure their backups are very good.

The point is there are too many that are just blowing this game off as an automatic win. I am sure the Iowa players aren’t and are preparing with focus.

Our defense may hold Tennessee scoreless going into the fourth quarter but if our offense does it’s three and out thing our defense may tore in the fourth and we all know how that works against any team with a pulse. Their freshman QB is no slouch.

What an awesome recruiting pitch to prospects. Once the choice is made that's it for the season barring injury. Makes you wonder how Kirk was convinced to switch to Stanzi in '08.

Kirk has been a hell of a coach over the years but this has become a serious blind spot. For a guy who hates turnovers how does he stick with a QB that on top of everything else seems to cough up the ball one or two times a game.

This is somewhat misleading. First, KF is the final say on who plays, no one else. KF was even more unquestionable in 2008. So, the misleading part is someone else convinced him to change. That's technically true and Ricky Stanzi is the one who won the QB competition because he was the better arm and the better athlete and leader.

Second, going into the season the plan was to give Jake and Ricky alternating starts and equal playing time until a choice could be made. Go back to each game and look at the box score. Ricky had Jake had very similar numbers in Game 1, Ricky was great in Game 2, but Jake also played well against a terrible opponent. Game 3, Ricky was terrible, got benched and Jake came back in, stopped the leaking and led Iowa to a come from behind win against the Cyclowns. Ricky was announced the starter before Game 4. However, Ricky did one of the things that no HCs tolerate, disobey a specific time management play call. So, Ricky got benched to make the point unmistakable, I assume, because Ricky never got benched again, and Jake never played again, well a little for some minor injury downs I guess and a blowout.

It all looks so "conspiratorial" and obvious with the benefit of hindsight. But Ricky's reputation was a somewhat wild and unpredictable QB. KF handled that situation in a smart and fair manner and the much better long-term starter emerged before the Big Ten schedule.

Jake R v CJB didn't start the year as a QB controversy. KF had a returning starter and future NFL QB playing at a pretty high level and a promising sophomore. CJB got better as the season progressed and surpassed Jake R. KF then, again, made the right choice and let Jake R transfer and kept CJB. Like Ricky, CJB had the bigger arm and was more athletic.​

Last edited:
So, it's settled then. . .Start Lainez vs TN and see what a mobile QB can do! He'd be replacing the QB with the highest statistical likelihood of having a turnover in the nation. . . .

But wait. . .

Our outgoing OC said at his last press conference Friday that Hill has played well for us this season, and he will play the whole game. That the Hawks won in spite of, rather than because of Hill is apparently irrelevant.

Go get 'em Phil and LeVar! YOU won 10 games. You can win one more!

Truth be told, the statistics show that playing Hill is the polar opposite of risk averse playing. He was the #1 QB in the nation in being at risk for committing a turnover, be it fumble or pick, according to one set of published stats.

KF's risk adverse at only one position. He put it a placekicker who never previously kicked even once for the Hawks to try the game winning FG vs the Bugeaters (that was their original nickname!), but he did not play the backup QB in any game all season to give him much needed experience, or to see if he could spark the offensive offense that was last nationally by over 20 yards/game in total offense this year.
This is fact about Hill. Marco just running the ball probable puts up the same amount of pts. that Hill will throwing. Freshman QB for Tenn doesn't mean he will suck, but will most likely make a couple mistakes to allow the Hawks to score. Marco is the back-up and if Hill doesn't get hurt, will not play, as Hill is just holding Cade's place in line. Unlike Marco, Hill will just quietly get in line behind Cade come next season. Kirk has ALWAYS been adverse to QB competition.

This is fact about Hill. Marco just running the ball probable puts up the same amount of pts. that Hill will throwing. Freshman QB for Tenn doesn't mean he will suck, but will most likely make a couple mistakes to allow the Hawks to score. Marco is the back-up and if Hill doesn't get hurt, will not play, as Hill is just holding Cade's place in line. Unlike Marco, Hill will just quietly get in line behind Cade come next season. Kirk has ALWAYS been adverse to QB competition.
KF will play freshmen only in emergency situations. Other than the first two seasons where Beutjer started a some games, I can only remember a few true freshman backups. Drew Tate, Nate Stanley and the two Jakes were 2nd team as true freshmen.

They have competitions in camp. Most years there is no need. There was no competition for BB, Nate C, Drew (3 seasons), Jake C his soph year, Ricky Jr and Sr seasons, the Deer Hunter junior year, and senior year-although the true freshmen would probably have been better James' senior year, Ruddock for at least his soph year, going into his junior season Ruddock as well-the competition developed over the season, and the better QB won, CJ (junior and senior seasons) or Nate Stanley in all three seasons. Even Petras was far better than Padilla, in every QBing respect-and that's a low bar.

A certain old man kind of stubborn seems to have crept into this more recent QB situation. I mean, as someone said above, the incumbent is the most likely QB in the country to turn it over. Almost impossible to play a worse player.​

Last edited:
For team with one of the worst offenses in college football I wouldn’t be counting your chickens so fast.

Their third string offense is likely five times better than our first string offense. Did we recruit an offense and I didn’t hear about it???

Hate to be that guy but what do I know.
I would have rather have been wrong. I lived in SEC country for twenty years and they don’t play pretend big ten football down there.

If Michigan loses today the big ten becomes a joke of a conference.

Latest posts