Tennessee QB opting out

Truth be told, the statistics show that playing Hill is the polar opposite of risk averse playing. He was the #1 QB in the nation in being at risk for committing a turnover, be it fumble or pick, according to one set of published stats.

KF's risk adverse at only one position. He put it a placekicker who never previously kicked even once for the Hawks to try the game winning FG vs the Bugeaters (that was their original nickname!), but he did not play the backup QB in any game all season to give him much needed experience, or to see if he could spark the offensive offense that was last nationally by over 20 yards/game in total offense this year.

TN starting a Freshman QB.
OU and AZ starting Freshmen QBs.
Not playing Lainez would illustrate how risk averse KF is - even in a meaningless exhibition game.
To the future detriment of the program.
Why do you insist that the bowl games are exhibition games. Bowl results apply to final official record.

In ten years, Iowa will be near the bottom of college football. The NIL money alone will kill us off. Fans will look back and see an 11-3 (if we win) not a 10-4 season (we won't lose) and wonder why Iowa just cannot do that anymore.

I completely agree re: Lainz. Hill is even worse than Padilla. Lot of good film on Marco throwing on the run. I mean its HS but he had an 80% completion percentage and something like 72% as a senior (rough numbers). He ran for several TDs and not trivial yardage. At least give the kid a chance for a couple of series to see how it goes.

Maybe Hill will mature before our eyes but I'm guessing that's a no go.

For team with one of the worst offenses in college football I wouldn’t be counting your chickens so fast.

Their third string offense is likely five times better than our first string offense. Did we recruit an offense and I didn’t hear about it???

Hate to be that guy but what do I know.

Why do you insist that the bowl games are exhibition games. Bowl results apply to final official record.

In ten years, Iowa will be near the bottom of college football. The NIL money alone will kill us off. Fans will look back and see an 11-3 (if we win) not a 10-4 season (we won't lose) and wonder why Iowa just cannot do that anymore.

I completely agree re: Lainz. Hill is even worse than Padilla. Lot of good film on Marco throwing on the run. I mean its HS but he had an 80% completion percentage and something like 72% as a senior (rough numbers). He ran for several TDs and not trivial yardage. At least give the kid a chance for a couple of series to see how it goes.

Maybe Hill will mature before our eyes but I'm guessing that's a no go.
It just makes you wonder what practices look like and how they've evaluated QBs. Because if Hill is as good as they have then how on earth can Lainez be a D1 qb? True freshman or not if he's got a pulse he's gotta be better then what Hill has been.

I'm guessing here but I think Iowa put's too much into the QBs mastering the crazy complicated playbook front and back before wanting to put them out there. Like whichever one does a better job in the classroom of knowing that inside out has the leg up. Well I'd rather the kid master about 10-20 plays and be good at them and knowing a check to make out of each then worrying about if he's got like 300 plays memorized or not. What good does that do if you can't throw on time and accurately? Or have pocket awareness and not turn the ball over etc etc etc.

Bottom line is without a running game Hill brings so little to the table. The one thing he does have is a strong arm. So do they ever run anything deep to show it off? God no they'd rather call plays from one hashmark to the sideline on the other across the field for a 4 yard gain instead to show it off.

Look I even understand putting Hill out there initially the first few games. But beyond that they should've given Labas a chance and if he crapped the bed Lainez should definitely have too. I don't like playing musical chairs at QB but the circumstances dictated that Hill shouldn't have played so much. I can't see another HC out there doing what KF and BF did.

It just makes you wonder what practices look like and how they've evaluated QBs. Because if Hill is as good as they have then how on earth can Lainez be a D1 qb? True freshman or not if he's got a pulse he's gotta be better then what Hill has been.

I'm guessing here but I think Iowa put's too much into the QBs mastering the crazy complicated playbook front and back before wanting to put them out there. Like whichever one does a better job in the classroom of knowing that inside out has the leg up. Well I'd rather the kid master about 10-20 plays and be good at them and knowing a check to make out of each then worrying about if he's got like 300 plays memorized or not. What good does that do if you can't throw on time and accurately? Or have pocket awareness and not turn the ball over etc etc etc.

Bottom line is without a running game Hill brings so little to the table. The one thing he does have is a strong arm. So do they ever run anything deep to show it off? God no they'd rather call plays from one hashmark to the sideline on the other across the field for a 4 yard gain instead to show it off.

Look I even understand putting Hill out there initially the first few games. But beyond that they should've given Labas a chance and if he crapped the bed Lainez should definitely have too. I don't like playing musical chairs at QB but the circumstances dictated that Hill shouldn't have played so much. I can't see another HC out there doing what KF and BF did.

It's a function of limited practice reps and time. Ferentz will go with the guy with the most experience because it probably gives us the best chance to win.

I wouldn't be surprised if this offense came out and put up 72 yards on Monday, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they came out and scored 72 points. I don't think we'll be missing anyone on offense and those practices plus some rest can completely change what we do. I mean if we make 2 or 3 plays on defense and go deep a few times and connect this thing could easily be an opposite repeat of the HawkSlayer Bowl, but it could easily go the other way as well.

It's a function of limited practice reps and time. Ferentz will go with the guy with the most experience because it probably gives us the best chance to win.

I wouldn't be surprised if this offense came out and put up 72 yards on Monday, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they came out and scored 72 points. I don't think we'll be missing anyone on offense and those practices plus some rest can completely change what we do. I mean if we make 2 or 3 plays on defense and go deep a few times and connect this thing could easily be an opposite repeat of the HawkSlayer Bowl, but it could easily go the other way as well.
Seems that's what he does yes. I remember back to how reluctant he was to bench Jake Christensen too. But he did finally do it. It's just odd that he wouldn't have given Labas a shot. Because Labas got a months worth of prep last yr and I don't remember him playing all that bad. For him to have not been given a shot at all this yr makes me think there may have been more to the story with him. No idea what sort of thing it could be but anything performance related is tough to comprehend.

With a month to prepare it's tough to say what they'll try. TNs starting secondary is pretty much all out so one might think going at them would be a place to go but that's just not our thing. Would we sneak a TE down the seem early on a play action and not just on a 10 yard roll out? I'm hoping Kaleb Brown gets a fair amount of targets as well as Anderson. He really disappeared as the yr went on it felt like.

If ever there was a time to see how creative BF can be this would be it. There's zero excuses at all. So long as Oline can block reasonably well it all starts and stops with that.

I had to laugh when I heard their starter, who's angling for the NFL draft, decided to opt out of the Iowa game. After watching tape of Iowa's defense, I figured he (and his family) decided, "Uhhh, maybe you oughta just sit this one out." Considering how average the Hawks made Michigan's QB look, if you're trying to improve your draft stock, Iowa's not the D you want to play after they've had a month to prepare for ya. My guess is that if TN was playing USC, he'd be playing.
Remember when we used to pull our hair out watching 1st-time starting QBs pick Iowa's defense apart? Yes, that was under Phil Parker, as recently as a couple years ago. He would typically plan to run Iowa's base D, no matter WHO was starting -- which allowed some pretty average QBs to put up some good #s. Then he would bring more blitzes in the 2nd halves, if necessary. I feel like he's grown the past couple years and hopefully he won't let the new TN QB just sit back at the start of the game and run their designed plays unhindered.
I think it's a great move on his part. I don't see a bowl game really improving his draft stock, but playing and struggling could. For me it's a no brainer, I'm opting out and avoiding the Hawkeye defense. I'd have zero shame letting my backup get his first start against Iowa's defense in my place while I get ready for the underwear olympics and the draft.

TN starting a Freshman QB.
OU and AZ starting Freshmen QBs.
Not playing Lainez would illustrate how risk averse KF is - even in a meaningless exhibition game.
To the future detriment of the program.
That's a spot-on comment, if Deacon Hill is KF's idea of the future, well ya know the drill, just like the Cummings years, drink heavily and find your favorite herb.

That's a spot-on comment, if Deacon Hill is KF's idea of the future, well ya know the drill, just like the Cummings years, drink heavily and find your favorite herb.
Oh, another compliment, to the poster, this is a meaningless scrimmage game, aka Spring ball, so let the QB's rotate quarters, Hill has done absolutely nothing to deserve all the attention this for this game. If anything, he should have been benched during the season. Now, having said all this, this game might mean something if it were the "Pop Tarts", Bowl, imagine winning that one and a year's supply of Pop Tarts in your favorite flavor, oh yeah baby, now we're talking!

For team with one of the worst offenses in college football I wouldn’t be counting your chickens so fast.

Their third string offense is likely five times better than our first string offense. Did we recruit an offense and I didn’t hear about it???

Hate to be that guy but what do I know.
Yes but their offense isn’t playing our offense.

Except, of course, for the final records. Did Bob Cumming's teams even win ten games total while he was here?

And Rutgers keeps conference bowl momentum going. Got to see a decent part of this game and it looked like one of the more entertaining bowl games so far.

Also showed that karma is a bitch. Miami punt returner did the EXACT same thing DeJean did vs Minnesota and not only was it not called or reviewed, it wasn't even discussed on the broadcast. But the ball don't lie. Rutgers blocked a punt and fell on it in the end zone in a game they eventually would end up winning by seven.

You nailed it first paragraph! Let me answer!
Remember, Kirk stated all evaluations happen after the season is over. So nothing qb wise has been evaluated yet. Still working off last evaluation that is about ten to eleven months old!

Remember, Kirk stated all evaluations happen after the season is over. So nothing qb wise has been evaluated yet. Still working off last evaluation that is about ten to eleven months old!
What an awesome recruiting pitch to prospects. Once the choice is made that's it for the season barring injury. Makes you wonder how Kirk was convinced to switch to Stanzi in '08.

Kirk has been a hell of a coach over the years but this has become a serious blind spot. For a guy who hates turnovers how does he stick with a QB that on top of everything else seems to cough up the ball one or two times a game.

Seems that's what he does yes. I remember back to how reluctant he was to bench Jake Christensen too. But he did finally do it. It's just odd that he wouldn't have given Labas a shot. Because Labas got a months worth of prep last yr and I don't remember him playing all that bad. For him to have not been given a shot at all this yr makes me think there may have been more to the story with him. No idea what sort of thing it could be but anything performance related is tough to comprehend.

With a month to prepare it's tough to say what they'll try. TNs starting secondary is pretty much all out so one might think going at them would be a place to go but that's just not our thing. Would we sneak a TE down the seem early on a play action and not just on a 10 yard roll out? I'm hoping Kaleb Brown gets a fair amount of targets as well as Anderson. He really disappeared as the yr went on it felt like.

If ever there was a time to see how creative BF can be this would be it. There's zero excuses at all. So long as Oline can block reasonably well it all starts and stops with that.
Kirk's strategy of trying to keep games close works against QB development in the long run. We seldom get ahead by more than a score, regardless of the opponent. Kirk is not willing to risk allowing the backups some snaps in these close games, and we seldom get comfortably ahead enough to give the backup QB's some mop-up minutes. Consequently, the backups seldom, if ever, get game experience and opportunity to show what they can do in a game environment.

Last edited:
Ha. Well I know you're being a little hyperbolic about it. When asked about this earlier in the yr I think he's said something like they base everything mostly on practice.... That and the winning and losing of games. Well the guy hasn't lost many games so that's probably why mostly. He's just not crazy about playing musical chairs at the QB position during the yr if he can help it I guess.

And to me that's insane. Because other positions have guys get benched for poor performance regardless of the outcome of games. And what position is more important then QB? Hill doesn't look like a D1 Qb to me. He's got a strong enough arm for it that's obvious. But pretty much everything else that goes into being a QB he's just not very good at.

Kirk's strategy of trying to keep games close works against QB development in the long run. We seldom get ahead by more than a score, regardless of the opponent. Kirk is not willing to risk allowing the backups some snaps in these close games, and we seldom get comfortably ahead enough to give the backup QB's some mop-up minutes. Consequently, the backups seldom, if ever, get game experience and opportunity to show what they can do in a game environment.
I just saw that BF told reporters this morning that there's no plan to put Lainez this game either. No small package of plays or a series or anything they expect Hill to take all the snaps. That also goes towards what you're saying. In this bowl game what better time is there then to do that? At the very least I'd give Lainez one series in the first half. If not one in each half depending on flow of the game then maybe more.

To treat Hill as if he's some entrenched starter is wild to me. The only thing we can surmise from all this is Lainez (and Labas) must have been really dang bad in practice. It's just illogical how they handle the QB room pretty much.

Latest posts