Tennesse fan scouts Iowa

And when we run more the big guys are out getting dunks; the team is attempting fewer threes; and there is peace and harmony on the roster.
It isn't peace and harmony that is the issue. That comes with winning. It is pathetic defense because they can't stop dribble penetration and then help defense sucks because everyone is shuffled in and out and has no clue when/who to help.

Teams have figured out iowa can't defend dribble penetration. they either make the adjustment at half and win the second half like ISU did or they do it the second time the teams play like the big ten did. It isn't rocket science, it isn't a locker room issue. It is defensive talent and will

I actually agree with most of what he said in his scouting report. It is mind boggling why some players take so many shots and others never seem to drive/shoot. Lately Iowa has just resorted to launching 3s all day, of which they're not very good at and everyone knew that going into the season.

Iowa never....ever....seems to feed the post. I'm not sure if they don't know how to properly do it or if they don't have any confidence in their post players. I wouldn't mind seeing Mel/Woody/Gabe getting fed the ball more consistently. Why they didnt do that against NW I'll never understand. Iowa's loss against Michigan I remember Melsahn completely dominating the first half inside the paint. Then they almost completely abandoned that.

per the Vols fan breakdown of the stats Mel/Woody/Gabe shouldnt have any confidence in them.

These big Tennessee guys get tired in a fast-paced game, right? If Iowa can push it, those wide bodies may start making a lot of fouls or be late by one step on defense in the second half as they wear down.

Right. I think we will have at least 5 dunks in this game if we're going to win. It's hard for teams to really understand how quickly White, Basabe and Olaseni in particular get down the court. The B1G teams know because they see us so much. Getting out of conference is going to very good for our transition.

You guys realize you need stops on the defensive end in order to get transition buckets, right? No stops= no transition. The problem is **** poor defense. You can talk about running all day long but if you don't get steals and defensive boards you don't get transition baskets

Thanks clone. Our basketball IQ isnt up to the dynasty in ames. Thanks. Ill email fran. Amazing what one big win does to the already arrogant ames clan. Get off this board dbag

Thanks clone. Our basketball IQ isnt up to the dynasty in ames. Thanks. Ill email fran. Amazing what one big win does to the already arrogant ames clan. Get off this board dbag

You%27re_Mad.gif

It isn't peace and harmony that is the issue. That comes with winning. It is pathetic defense because they can't stop dribble penetration and then help defense sucks because everyone is shuffled in and out and has no clue when/who to help.

Teams have figured out iowa can't defend dribble penetration. they either make the adjustment at half and win the second half like ISU did or they do it the second time the teams play like the big ten did. It isn't rocket science, it isn't a locker room issue. It is defensive talent and will

I agree with some of what you are saying, but ISU is not the team that figured out how to beat Iowa. You would like to give the credit to Hoiberg because you are a Cyclone fan. Iowa beat themselves in that game because of missed free throws. I don't expect you ever to admit that, but anyone who isn't biased would agree with that statement. It wasn't second half adjustments. It was a damn good game by both teams. If it wasn't for missed free throws late in that game Iowa would have won.

Wisconsin figured out the formula for consistently beating Iowa much later in the season. You are correct that part of the equation is the fact Iowa has struggled defensively with creation off the dribble drive. Bo Ryan exposed it and the rest of the B10 exploited it. Ryan also realized that when his Badgers missed a shot on offense he had his players getting back down the court instead of positioning themselves for offensive rebounds. This strategy helped tremendously in preventing Iowa from running the court and getting easy baskets because Iowa struggles to create offense in the half court set. This is the single biggest thing that other B10 teams began to do as well after the Wisconsin game. That's why Iowa went from lighting up the scoreboard to struggling severely.

You act like Iowa State found the secret formula, but you are wrong.

Again I haven't seen Tenn to much this year, but if they crash the offensive glass as a team and not just their stumps down low that could be beneficial in getting our transition game going. Given they actually miss some shots and we attack the glass.

Wow. A little sensitive aren't we.

How about having an adult discussion. Maybe state why you don't agree or come up with some logical explanation why the hoks have lost so many lately. But hey, the scouting report on iowa back when the clones played them was they couldn't stop dribble pentration. I imagine if you look at the play by play in their losses you will see layups or three pointers with an assist. It isn't that hard and I don't claim to be a basketball expert. You should email Fran though because he obviously thinks woodbury is d1 material and a defensive threat.

Wow. A little sensitive aren't we.

How about having an adult discussion. Maybe state why you don't agree or come up with some logical explanation why the hoks have lost so many lately. But hey, the scouting report on iowa back when the clones played them was they couldn't stop dribble pentration. I imagine if you look at the play by play in their losses you will see layups or three pointers with an assist. It isn't that hard and I don't claim to be a basketball expert. You should email Fran though because he obviously thinks woodbury is d1 material and a defensive threat.

You really think lecturing Gliding and I like we're children is being an adult. It makes even less sense considering we both know something about college basketball and you are something less than an expert per your own words.

You should be spending your time hoping North Carolina loses Friday so Iowa State makes it out of the 1st weekend of the tournament. Let us Hawk fans worry about Tennessee.

I agree with some of what you are saying, but ISU is not the team that figured out how to beat Iowa. You would like to give the credit to Hoiberg because you are a Cyclone fan. Iowa beat themselves in that game because of missed free throws. I don't expect you ever to admit that, but anyone who isn't biased would agree with that statement. It wasn't second half adjustments. It was a damn good game by both teams. If it wasn't for missed free throws late in that game Iowa would have won.

Wisconsin figured out the formula for consistently beating Iowa much later in the season. You are correct that part of the equation is the fact Iowa has struggled defensively with creation off the dribble drive. Bo Ryan exposed it and the rest of the B10 exploited it. Ryan also realized that when his Badgers missed a shot on offense he had his players getting back down the court instead of positioning themselves for offensive rebounds. This strategy helped tremendously in preventing Iowa from running the court and getting easy baskets because Iowa struggles to create offense in the half court set. This is the single biggest thing that other B10 teams began to do as well after the Wisconsin game. That's why Iowa went from lighting up the scoreboard to struggling severely.

You act like Iowa State found the secret formula, but you are wrong.
Never said ISU figured it out. I said that is how you beat them. It was the scouting report on iowa before ISU even played them. I read two scouting reports on iowa before the ISU game and both said the same thing. I would tend to say Villanova came up wit it not Wisconsin. Some teams just figure it out sooner than others. ISU cut the lead in the second half with dribble penetration. Settled for too many three attempts in the first.
Also, I think a previous poster demonstrated how iowa's offensive performance hasn't really slowed much. It isn't like Wisconsin only employs that tactic against iowa. That is one way they have always slowed tempo.

Again I never said ISU/Hoibereg figured out the formula. I did say Big 10 teams had it figured out by the second time they played them and if you look at the late losses, they came against teams they played twice.

I don't know why i am surprised that ISU fans can't have an intelligent conversation with iowa fans about sports without people reading into things. I was just simply pointing out what people outside the iowa fandom see. I didn't claim ISU figured it out although ISU did make adjustments at half. I wasn't rude. I just offered what seems like a very obvious observation.

You guys realize you need stops on the defensive end in order to get transition buckets, right? No stops= no transition. The problem is **** poor defense. You can talk about running all day long but if you don't get steals and defensive boards you don't get transition baskets

This is correct. We get way too lazy in the zone and guys don't move. When guys don't move in the zone the offense gets easy wide open shots. When the offense gets easy wide open shots we don't get a bunch of easy transition baskets and our scoring average plummets. When scoring average plummets, we lose to average or even bad teams, like Northwestern.

I feel like I have to end this post that is similar to a DirectTV ad with something like "Don't find yourself getting chased by a bear while running naked in Tijuana."

You really think lecturing Gliding and I like we're children is being an adult. It makes even less sense considering we both know something about college basketball and you are something less than an expert per your own words.

You should be spending your time hoping North Carolina loses Friday so Iowa State makes it out of the 1st weekend of the tournament. Let us Hawk fans worry about Tennessee.

Who was lecturing? you guys are talking about transition baskets and totally ignoring the fact that iowa isn't getting defensive stops. How do you plan on getting transition baskets without stops? You never address that. You just think transition baskets will happen? You don't think iowa tries to run every possession?

Oh and North Carolina doesn't beat Providence.

Never said ISU figured it out. I said that is how you beat them. It was the scouting report on iowa before ISU even played them. I read two scouting reports on iowa before the ISU game and both said the same thing. I would tend to say Villanova came up wit it not Wisconsin. Some teams just figure it out sooner than others. ISU cut the lead in the second half with dribble penetration. Settled for too many three attempts in the first.
Also, I think a previous poster demonstrated how iowa's offensive performance hasn't really slowed much. It isn't like Wisconsin only employs that tactic against iowa. That is one way they have always slowed tempo.

Again I never said ISU/Hoibereg figured out the formula. I did say Big 10 teams had it figured out by the second time they played them and if you look at the late losses, they came against teams they played twice.

I don't know why i am surprised that ISU fans can't have an intelligent conversation with iowa fans about sports without people reading into things. I was just simply pointing out what people outside the iowa fandom see. I didn't claim ISU figured it out although ISU did make adjustments at half. I wasn't rude. I just offered what seems like a very obvious observation.

Former ISU coach Tim Floyd (now at UTEP) figured it out, but he didn't have any shooters who could exploit it, so basically, Iowa State did figure it out.

Former ISU coach Tim Floyd (now at UTEP) figured it out, but he didn't have any shooters who could exploit it, so basically, Iowa State did figure it out.

Tim Floyd beat our first round opponent. You can figure that Fran reached out to Coach Floyd on how to punish the Vols

Latest posts