Team personality

i think most of us can agree on the teams personnel strengths, shortcomings, etc. Most are fairly obvious. But what has mystified me during Fran's time at Iowa is that his teams every year seem to lack toughness, at the risk of sounding real old school. I know that certain kids have their own personalities that can only be changed so much but generally as a team they seem to many times shrink from a challenge, lose leads, not come back from deficits often. I'm not saying this is a primary problem but I find it interesting since Fran himself is quite fiery, too much so sometimes, but his teams seem excessively laid back.

The ironic part is last year they came off as extremely tough willed compared to past teams. Now they seem way less tough than the past teams. Their ability to quit for short bursts in games is like something I've never seen.

The ironic part is last year they came off as extremely tough willed compared to past teams. Now they seem way less tough than the past teams. Their ability to quit for short bursts in games is like something I've never seen.
I'd amend that by stating "their ability to play for short bursts . . ." Their runs of good play are far less than runs of poor play. What I don't know is if that comes from a lack of not knowing what they're supposed to be doing or a lack of not caring about what they're supposed to be doing. The former can be fixed, the latter, much harder to remedy.

I feel like when watching these games (and I've watched all of them but the 2nd and 3rd game in the Caymans) in all of our losses our offensive possessions seem like absolute wars. The point is harassed, the post is working really hard, guys struggle to get around screens, close-outs are swift and shots are often contested. Then on defense, the entire team collapses on a dribble drive and they hit the wing or a corner and they are WIDE FREAKING OPEN or they reverse the ball and are wide open, or they just torch us to the rim. It looks so easy.

Iowa's team personality=
icanteven.jpg

I'd amend that by stating "their ability to play for short bursts . . ." Their runs of good play are far less than runs of poor play. What I don't know is if that comes from a lack of not knowing what they're supposed to be doing or a lack of not caring about what they're supposed to be doing. The former can be fixed, the latter, much harder to remedy.

I would say they are good for short periods (which is good enough to be a bubble team), average for most of the game (which is good enough to be a bubble team), and absolutely quit playing for 5 minute stretches once or twice per game (which makes a bubble team look like a bottom feeder). If those terrible stretches would just be average stretches, they would probably be 10-3 or 11-2 in non conference and 3-2 or 2-3 in conference. Not good by any means, but still close to the bubble.

Hawks were playing well up until Fran went to the bench. Pemsel and Nunge were absolutely torched on the defensive end. Momentum went directly to Maryland and we really never were able to recover. I am looking forward to Thurs. game and really thinking same thing may happen. Illinois has some smaller quicker front court guys that probably can cause the same issues. Fran needs to zone it up if these guys hit the floor. Asking Nunge or Pemsel to guard 25 ft. feet out is asking for a beat down.

I do not or have not seen any fire from the players. Maybe that's where some of this needs to start. Who's the f*cking leader?

There is no leader...a rudderless ship sailing about without a destination...

When there are no leaders...psychotic events sprout up...

The team personality is victimology...they take after their coach. See Jbo’s tweet last night about the plane getting hit and no foul called, or Pemsl bitching about cheap shots. Or every post from Fran’s boys.

If they put as much energy into paying defense as they do on complaining about being a victim...they might be halfway decent...

Hawks were playing well up until Fran went to the bench. Pemsel and Nunge were absolutely torched on the defensive end. Momentum went directly to Maryland and we really never were able to recover. I am looking forward to Thurs. game and really thinking same thing may happen. Illinois has some smaller quicker front court guys that probably can cause the same issues. Fran needs to zone it up if these guys hit the floor. Asking Nunge or Pemsel to guard 25 ft. feet out is asking for a beat down.
When moss can’t get a shot off coming off a triple screen he then can’t create his own offense . That’s really killing this team the most on offense . His barrage against Maryland was mostly catch and shoot . When Fran can’t get him open we are fucked

The team personality is victimology...they take after their coach. See Jbo’s tweet last night about the plane getting hit and no foul called, or Pemsl bitching about cheap shots. Or every post from Fran’s boys.

If they put as much energy into paying defense as they do on complaining about being a victim...they might be halfway decent...

The lack of mental toughness comes directly from the head coach who doesn't keep his composure. Rob in his article hit the nail on the head when he said that beyond the crappy officiating the team has nobody to blame but themselves particularly for another atrocious defensive outing. Connor's tweet really bothered me and I like the kid but see him in a bad situation. If he played baseball only he can say whatever he wants. But in basketball he plays the role of a player and has to keep that separate from what happens with his dad the coach. It comes off as highly inappropriate to seemingly defend his dad as a player on the team. I think this situation with the boys could get messy if Fran stays on at Iowa and unfortunately they will likely end up on the losing end of it.

Last edited:
I don't think I made my question very clear...wondering who was the last who could consistently drive, break a team down, and go the hole...

Ricky Davis?

I posted previously that perhaps the biggest shortcoming of this team - even more than its lack of perimeter athleticism - is lack of leadership. It's beyond frustrating to watch, but that deficiency probably has more impact on wins and losses than lateral quickness, leaping ability, outside shooting accuracy, etc. It's like a cancer on a team.

Just watch them after negative plays. Unlike most teams, there's no immediate huddle, no rallying cry, no eye contact, no clapping. Bohannon walks around and chews on his mouthpiece, while the rest of the players stare at the floor or at the rafters and say nothing. About the only players I see occasionally try to rally them are Baer, Pemsl and Dailey, but none truly appear comfortable in that role.

Leaders are born, not made, and unfortunately right now it just doesn't appear that we have any natural leaders on this team. Unfortunately, it's not something you can simply manufacture, and so I'm not sure the coaches are culpable here. One could make the argument, though, that since the coaching staff failed to develop our upperclassmen, namely Uhl, Wagner and Ellingson, that they share at least some of the blame. Of course, that's assuming that if they were better more confident players they would be better leaders, but that's not always the case.

I posted previously that perhaps the biggest shortcoming of this team - even more than its lack of perimeter athleticism - is lack of leadership. It's beyond frustrating to watch, but that deficiency probably has more impact on wins and losses than lateral quickness, leaping ability, outside shooting accuracy, etc. It's like a cancer on a team.

Just watch them after negative plays. Unlike most teams, there's no immediate huddle, no rallying cry, no eye contact, no clapping. Bohannon walks around and chews on his mouthpiece, while the rest of the players stare at the floor or at the rafters and say nothing. About the only players I see occasionally try to rally them are Baer, Pemsl and Dailey, but none truly appear comfortable in that role.

Leaders are born, not made, and unfortunately right now it just doesn't appear that we have any natural leaders on this team. Unfortunately, it's not something you can simply manufacture, and so I'm not sure the coaches are culpable here. One could make the argument, though, that since the coaching staff failed to develop our upperclassmen, namely Uhl, Wagner and Ellingson, that they share at least some of the blame. Of course, that's assuming that if they were better more confident players they would be better leaders, but that's not always the case.
That's exactly what I see. When the opponent is on a little run or something is going south that is when the leaders on a team try to get things right if they can. I am not on the floor or bench with them obviously but I don't see much evidence of anybody trying to do that. It seems like the team has been almost completely missing that element for years now. The coaches can only do so much, players need to take the reigns a kot of times. It's their team.

Latest posts