TE Nate Vejvoda commits.

Yes TE and OL recruits not going to be a position to doubt in recruiting given history. Just frustrating that we are really struggling to land top targets for this class. Heck, ISU out recruited Iowa for a RB and USC is landing Ware. Be nice to "steal" recruits from other top programs rather than a 0-12 MAC team last year.

The developmental aspect of the program is something to hang your hat on but generally doesn't give the team it's best collection until RS junior/senior year if they all stick together. Can't afford attrition with this process either. Add in a few difference makers and that can make difference between an average to really good team.

So you are saying that difference makers make a difference?

Brilliant.....

Yes TE and OL recruits not going to be a position to doubt in recruiting given history. Just frustrating that we are really struggling to land top targets for this class. Heck, ISU out recruited Iowa for a RB and USC is landing Ware. Be nice to "steal" recruits from other top programs rather than a 0-12 MAC team last year.

The developmental aspect of the program is something to hang your hat on but generally doesn't give the team it's best collection until RS junior/senior year if they all stick together. Can't afford attrition with this process either. Add in a few difference makers and that can make difference between an average to really good team.

This is not the thread to make this point. If you have a problem with Iowa missing out on higher rated recruits, post that in one of those threads. Don't come in here and criticize a current commit. It's disrespectful.

This is not the thread to make this point. If you have a problem with Iowa missing out on higher rated recruits, post that in one of those threads. Don't come in here and criticize a current commit. It's disrespectful.
I'm not trying to stick up for the guy so much but that's now how I took what he wrote.... I don't think what he's doing is criticizing this kid at all. Your point about wrong thread is valid if you want to go there I suppose. But trying to connect the dots to him saying this kid is bad or whatever isn't fair. I take it as he just wishes Iowa would be doing better and getting more 4 stars etc.

I'm not trying to stick up for the guy so much but that's now how I took what he wrote.... I don't think what he's doing is criticizing this kid at all. Your point about wrong thread is valid if you want to go there I suppose. But trying to connect the dots to him saying this kid is bad or whatever isn't fair. I take it as he just wishes Iowa would be doing better and getting more 4 stars etc.

Its not like this is something new. Iowa has to recruit good athletic projects because the USC's and the OSU's are going to outclass Iowa in prestige.
What would you differently that this staff is doing? I don't think its a lack of effort. We lose one recruit to ISU because his position is stacked at Iowa and he'll get to play Texas at ISU; that is not a loss.
The article earlier this summer about Iowa's similarity to "Money ball" recruiting is right on the mark in my opinion. The number of Hawkeyes in the NFL speaks volumes.

The low moans are getting old.

Maybe I read between the lines a bit but it seems pretty obvious that he doesn't seem to be too thrilled with this particular recruit. To me, it seems like a round-about criticization of the kid. Put it another way, if you were a kid who just committed to play football at Iowa and jumped on a message board to see how you were received here and read about the frustrations of the recruiting class in a thread created about you, don't you think you'd be a little put off by that?

Maybe I read between the lines a bit but it seems pretty obvious that he doesn't seem to be too thrilled with this particular recruit. To me, it seems like a round-about criticization of the kid. Put it another way, if you were a kid who just committed to play football at Iowa and jumped on a message board to see how you were received here and read about the frustrations of the recruiting class in a thread created about you, don't you think you'd be a little put off by that?

I believe it would sting a bit, yes....

As an impressionable HS kid I'd may have taken it that way. Now I wasn't a stud football recruit at any level in todays day and age of social media/internet being what it is either so for me to guess at how I'd react is just that.. Guessing. But yea your certainly reading between the lines on what he was saying and sometimes that's just as not fair as what your accusing him of doing to the kid is. If he is intending to criticize the kid then it is pretty out of bounds to me too. But if that's not his intent and the kid takes it that way then to an extent that's on the kid to just realize what he's getting himself into....Feel free to use it as a chip, put it on your shoulder and do what Iowa recruits do as well as anyone. Outperform their expectations.

Doesn't matter how he intended it. It matters how it reads.

Doesn't matter how he intended it. It matters how it reads.
Did I not address that by myself with the last sentence of my quote? I didn't take it that way from how it reads... What is Iowa supposed to do? Not go after kids they feel they can develop to go after only 4 and 5 star kids and then not get either type of kid at the end of the day because they wait too long in offering the "lessor" of the two when the 4 and 5 star kids wait to decide late or on signing day? If Iowa is right about this kid and he pops up on the other schools radars now and Iowa didn't offer then maybe he gets wandering eyes and is less apt to come when it's all said and done. Offering him early and showing him they want him gets the connection stronger.
It's a long time till Feb. If this coaching staff is confident enough to offer this Nate kid a scholly this far out I'm fired up for him regardless of what the star services say. When it comes to the lineman and TEs they've earned that benefit of the doubt period.

As an impressionable HS kid I'd may have taken it that way. Now I wasn't a stud football recruit at any level in todays day and age of social media/internet being what it is either so for me to guess at how I'd react is just that.. Guessing. But yea your certainly reading between the lines on what he was saying and sometimes that's just as not fair as what your accusing him of doing to the kid is. If he is intending to criticize the kid then it is pretty out of bounds to me too. But if that's not his intent and the kid takes it that way then to an extent that's on the kid to just realize what he's getting himself into....Feel free to use it as a chip, put it on your shoulder and do what Iowa recruits do as well as anyone. Outperform their expectations.

I don't think it's meant as a straight up criticization of the kid, I think it's meant as a criticization of the staff in regards to the quality of the recruits we land. However, it's not difficult to draw a connection that it can easily be perceived as a slight of Vejvoda. If his post was made in one of the countless other threads that we have had over the years about Iowa not landing a multitude of highly acclaimed recruits and a commit read it in there, then I would agree with you. Unfortunately it was made in this thread and therefore it's pretty easy to take as disrespect to the recruit.

I don't think it's meant as a straight up criticization of the kid, I think it's meant as a criticization of the staff in regards to the quality of the recruits we land. However, it's not difficult to draw a connection that it can easily be perceived as a slight of Vejvoda. If his post was made in one of the countless other threads that we have had over the years about Iowa not landing a multitude of highly acclaimed recruits and a commit read it in there, then I would agree with you. Unfortunately it was made in this thread and therefore it's pretty easy to take as disrespect to the recruit.

Adam is correct.

At a minimum, the negativity of the post detracted from what should be an unequivocal warm welcome to the new recruit.

Well if he'd like to say what he meant he has the floor to do so. I just didn't take it that way and I guess hope he didn't. Cause yea I took it as a slight on the coaching staff. What other TEs has Iowa offered? I wouldn't be surprised if Iowa has 2 to 4 offers out there for different TE prospects. Iowa is losing 3 TEs the next 2 years. So I could see them going after 2 to 3 this class wanting to redshirt all of them if they can get that many quality kids.

Well if he'd like to say what he meant he has the floor to do so. I just didn't take it that way and I guess hope he didn't. Cause yea I took it as a slight on the coaching staff. What other TEs has Iowa offered? I wouldn't be surprised if Iowa has 2 to 4 offers out there for different TE prospects. Iowa is losing 3 TEs the next 2 years. So I could see them going after 2 to 3 this class wanting to redshirt all of them if they can get that many quality kids.

I think you're missing the point. It's pretty clear that he was criticizing the quality (or star ranking) of the recruits that Iowa has. Vejvoda is one of those recruits. Therefore he is criticizing Vejvoda. Pretty easy to connect the dots IMO.

Never been a big rahrah Kirk Ferentz fan. He does develop talent well in the "non-skill" positions TE being a fringe position, this is well documented and cannot be argued. He is an atrocious game manager an this is well documented as well with all the stats on games being favored by 10 or more. Fry use to **** pound Iowa St. (16 games in a row?) Kirk makes that a 50/50 game. That being said, here is one thing I don't think Kirk genuinely likes doing and that is recruiting.

If I had to guess, he hates the "hat game", the "media hype", the back and forth that we had with the like of Ross P. To him, I think he does enjoy mentoring and building underdeveloped athletes into some of the stars we have produced in the last 15 or so years. I believe deep down inside with guys like Ross P., Ware and Hilliard, he thinks "eh, be nice to have, but life goes on". I don't think his heart is in recruiting. This lack of heart has probably cost us a few guys over time. I think had he had a little more Zooker in him, we might have landed Pierschbacher. We do a good job with OL development so this one to me stings more because he was a lifetime Hawk fan and Saban rolls into our backyard and takes him.

History shows Vejvoda will probably be a contributor. This doesn't excuse Kirk (with the money he pulls down) from not trying harder in things "he doesn't like doing", like recruiting (kissing 18 year old ***, let's call it what it is) athletes who have peaked or require their egos to be stroked to bring in some talent to increase our odds of competing year in and year out.

Never been a big rahrah Kirk Ferentz fan. He does develop talent well in the "non-skill" positions TE being a fringe position, this is well documented and cannot be argued. He is an atrocious game manager an this is well documented as well with all the stats on games being favored by 10 or more. Fry use to **** pound Iowa St. (16 games in a row?) Kirk makes that a 50/50 game. That being said, here is one thing I don't think Kirk genuinely likes doing and that is recruiting.

If I had to guess, he hates the "hat game", the "media hype", the back and forth that we had with the like of Ross P. To him, I think he does enjoy mentoring and building underdeveloped athletes into some of the stars we have produced in the last 15 or so years. I believe deep down inside with guys like Ross P., Ware and Hilliard, he thinks "eh, be nice to have, but life goes on". I don't think his heart is in recruiting. This lack of heart has probably cost us a few guys over time. I think had he had a little more Zooker in him, we might have landed Pierschbacher. We do a good job with OL development so this one to me stings more because he was a lifetime Hawk fan and Saban rolls into our backyard and takes him.

History shows Vejvoda will probably be a contributor. This doesn't excuse Kirk (with the money he pulls down) from not trying harder in things "he doesn't like doing", like recruiting (kissing 18 year old ***, let's call it what it is) athletes who have peaked or require their egos to be stroked to bring in some talent to increase our odds of competing year in and year out.

That's one of the more thought out posts I've read from a troll on here. Granted I disagree with most of it but at least you put some effort into it!

Latest posts