Taylor Mays just ran a 4.24 40yd

Cowherd and McShay made some valid points this morning and I happen to agree.....He is a freakish athlete, but he is a tad overrated. Will he be an NFL starter? Absolutely. Just won't be that dominant strong safety everyone assumes he will be.

Also Spievey now ran a 4.47 - The crew took time to give props to the Iowa program, Kirk Ferentz, and Chris Doyle.

at any other school, your official and unofficial times differ by .05 seconds. at USC and Notre Dame, they can be off .15 seconds or more just due to the overrated factor

Mays will make a really fast LB. He's too stupid to play safety. Think Roy Williams

That's harsh, but kinda funny. I remember the coaching staff talking of trying him at LB at USC because thats the postion he projects in the NFL. I've seen a few USC games and it seems Taylor gets lost some times out there. The dude can flat out hit though.

"I agree. He wasn't that great of a safety at USC for how unreal of an athlete that he is. He has the makings of a great LB though"

Not that a great a safety at USC?? Some of you people need to lay off the pipe.

"I agree. He wasn't that great of a safety at USC for how unreal of an athlete that he is. He has the makings of a great LB though"

Not that a great a safety at USC?? Some of you people need to lay off the pipe.

Read my whole post. For how unreal of an athlete he is, he wasn't even the best safety in the country. Eric Berry outplayed him. May had 2 INT's in 3 years at safety. He didn't have many pass breakups either. USC's pass defense last year was brutal. Since he was their safety, I think you can blame some of that on him

And this is why speed isn't everything on the football field:

Taylor Mays' workout at the combine will be one talked about for a long time, and with good reason. After weighing in at 230 pounds, Mays completed 24 reps on the bench press, then ran a 40 that most scouts clocked at 4.32 seconds. Normally those numbers would elevate a prospect towards the top of the draft, but we contend that won't be the case with Mays.
During drills, Mays was in poor form. As fast as he was moving forwards, Mays was terribly slow moving in reverse. It was similar to his performance at the Senior Bowl in January. Mays looked uncomfortable backpedaling during drills and one scout called his defensive back fundamentals "just bad." When asked to change direction, Mays would come to a complete stop then start up again. The contrast between Mays and players such as Earl Thomas and T.J. Ward, who lost little momentum changing direction, was striking.
Poor performances in Mobile and Indianapolis do not mean Mays won't be productive in the NFL. It does mean he will be limited to certain systems that don't require him to play man coverage or make plays sideline-to-sideline. In other words Mays is likely to go later in the draft than someone with his measurables usually would.

Taylor Mays fails to impress in DB drills at NFL combine - NFL - SI.com

Mays will make a really fast LB. He's too stupid to play safety. Think Roy Williams

Dexter is exactly right about this. Dollars to doughnuts, most of you who are defending Mays right now because he was a 5* ATH and a top-5 recruit nationally when he committed to USC and because he made a some spectacular highlight plays. But for down-to-down, consistent, coverage? Mays was far from the best. Several analysts have pointed this out, moreso this season than ever before.

Dexter is exactly right about this. Dollars to doughnuts, most of you who are defending Mays right now because he was a 5* ATH and a top-5 recruit nationally when he committed to USC and because he made a some spectacular highlight plays. But for down-to-down, consistent, coverage? Mays was far from the best. Several analysts have pointed this out, moreso this season than ever before.

You think maybe this had something to do with USC not being a world-beater this year?

I'm a giants fan, and we need some help in the secondary and i would love for them to take mays. He didnt show well at the combine but all that can change with some nfl coaching.

Latest posts