talent observation

We do not have as much talent as Wisconsin. The Glasser injury was a blessing disguise for them: allowing them to really have a stacked team this year. Talent-wise Dekker is a future pro. Kaminski is headed that way if not there already. Jackson is he breakdown player we sorely lack. Not to mention Brust being a very rich man's version of JO.
We have a talented team, but Wisky truly has Final 4 talent this year. If anything, they only get in trouble when they try to play too fast instead of grinding to their formidable strengths.

If the opponents didn't regularly make over 50% of their shots down the stretch, this is a non issue.

So you don't see Michigan as having a lot of talent? This year (and last), they are very deserving of the "big 3" moniker.

They were in the NC game last year, and won the Big Ten this year. They're in the Sweet 16 and looking strong to make a deep run. They have talent. Big 3...absolutely.
**DDThompson likes this**

Pretty much every game we lost we had a chance to win. If you can play with a team for 35+ min then you can do it for 40 and win. It isn't talent. We have many players who haven't been a part of truly winning teams in college. It is hard to get over that thought process. Think about wisky they have finished in the top 4 every yr Bo has been there. They are not more talented than Iowa. They expect to win...they have history (recent) on their side and their players expect to win and be at the top because it is what they know and what they strive for.

We need a little naïveté from a player that basically will get everyone else over the hump. I thought that would be gesell or Uthoff. But the more I think and watch what jok did at the end...it is him. That kid is fearless and has as much skill as Uthoff if not more.

I think it is the talent. We have so many guys that are so inconsistent. You really never knew what you would get out of guys like Josh, Jarrodd, Mel, Gabe, White or even Mike late in the year.

Credit to Fran who had the team executed well enough to hang and compete.

I think the main things that stand out...

3 spot... We just don't have a versatile player that can play this position that can go big or go small. And that goes for both offense and Defense. Have to be able to do a little banging down low, as well as shoot the 3.

Shooters... Specifically 3 pt. Until Jok got some minutes late in the year we only had 2 guys that can hit 3s consistently and that's not enough.

Iowa does not have the talent of the top 4 schools in the BIG. As others have said many time the team is better than the individuals. I mean Kentucky has the most talented PLAYERS on its team, but it isn't close to being the best team in college BB. This is why I thought Iowa would be better this year, as they have very experienced SR. players. You usually see those types step up, and know how to close out games, as they have been there before. Sadly that was not the case with our SR. and this team.

^^^^ THIS ^^^^

If he can settle down and play within himself Jok will be the future of this team in the next three years. He is probably the most truly talented player Iowa has. If Woodbury can continue on with what he showed against Tennessee then Jok and Woody could give a Iowa a great inside out game.

So you don't see Michigan as having a lot of talent? This year (and last), they are very deserving of the "big 3" moniker.

They were in the NC game last year, and won the Big Ten this year. They're in the Sweet 16 and looking strong to make a deep run. They have talent. Big 3...absolutely.

Last year doesnt matter, I didnt see a talent gap the two times the teams played this year.

Damn, everyone talks about coaching, heart, toughness, leadership, and basketball intelligence as being the issue down the stretch with Iowa. I'd agree that the defense in a few of those games, Minnesota and Indiana in particular, was lazy and sloppy. That being said, did you ever maybe think that the real problem was that we just weren't a good shooting team down the stretch...especially the last two or three games? In my mind, it all boiled down to making shots. Certain players weren't bad, they were terrible. That was the difference. Wisconsin and MSU don't win yesterday if guys go cold the whole game. Brust, Kominsky, and others stepped up and made shots....Harris, Trice, Valentine made shots. Who besides Marble made shots down the stretch for Iowa in any of those games.

I don't question the heart or toughness of these guys...they played Tennessee tough. I question the skill we have shooting the ball right now. That needs to improve in a big way.

They also dont win if they take bad rushed shots, dont rebound and dont play good D.

Trying to boil Iowas troubled down to simply talent doesnt work IMO, its an excuse.

Iowa is dumb team that lacks composure.

If youre not a good shooting team dont rush down the court and shoot quick shots, pound it inside.

It seems were having trouble distinguishing talent vs intelligence effort and scheme.

Talent can cover up bad basketball, it seems like Im hearing we need more talent to make up for playing bad fundamental bball.

Wisconsin and UM dont play bad fundamentally, thats the difference.

I think individual players regressed so much that it changed our view of how talented our team was. Players like White, McCabe, and Uthoff fell off the map halfway through the conference schedule and Gesell and Gabe fell off late. If they all played like they rid earlier in the year we would think differently on how talented we are.

Is it possible their play falling off coincided with an increase in talent of the opposition?

Latest posts