Taking a timeout on 3rd and 28; also not taking a knee ...

uihawk82

Just want to know what you fanatics think about the 2nd quarter timeout when the hawks had 3rd and 28 from their own 15 yard line or so. I think you just take the delay of game and save the timeout. As is turned out the hawks scored that late 2nd qtr TD with about 15-20 seconds left and one timeout.

Also your thoughts as to why after CJ did the naked boot for a first down to seal the win the hawks handed it off to Daniels on the next 1st down rather than taking a knee. IU was out of timeouts and only about 1:30 to play.

I am not trying to be super picky but it would have been terrible to have an Eagles-Giants Joe Pisarchick type fumble and give IU more life.

Any thoughts?

I didn't understand not taking a knee either. Sure Indiana had a TO left, but 3 knees was gonna deal the game no matter what.

It's coaching malpractice to run it instead of taking a knee. I better not see that BS again.

They should have taken a knee. Malpractice is a stretch. You should be able to run a simple iso or lead play and expect your rb to hold onto the football. That being said they should have known. Someone on the sideline should be good enough at math. Teams have "get back" coaches to make sure everyone is back far enough so as to not get penalties for crowding the sideline. So you can assign a g.a. or assistant to KNOW the clock. We all figured it out as it was happening...of course no bullets were flying by my head. Lol not an egregious error but should be cleaned up.

T out. No problem

Take the knee..KF said he had a great math teacher. Hire him for seconds/minutes assistance.

IU was pulling as hard as they could on the ball trying to dislodge it. Brian Ferentz should be up on that stuff. Speak up son. Kneel down.

Clean that up I guess. KF was making a note.

T out. No problem

Take the knee..KF said he had a great math teacher. Hire him for seconds/minutes assistance.

IU was pulling as hard as they could on the ball trying to dislodge it. Brian Ferentz should be up on that stuff. Speak up son. Kneel down.

Clean that up I guess. KF was making a note.

Someone up in the press box should have been In GD ear about it. They have clear view of the clock.

Someone up in the press box should have been In GD ear about it. They have clear view of the clock.

I have visions of someone like Coach Dennis Remmert from UNI banging on the press box window as he needles someone on the sidelines in situations like this.

It's coaching malpractice to run it instead of taking a knee. I better not see that BS again.

After CJ got the first down, my wife went to the kitchen making burgers and she thought we did something to lose the game because of how pist I was. Seriously, do we need a mathematician on staff, or at least someone familiar with our number system? Couldn't friggin' believe it!

A simple cheat sheet should be present at all time with an assistant coach to tell them how much time can be wasted determined by the opponents TO remaining. This should be done in the offseason and like I said should be easily assessable by and assissant.

Just want to know what you fanatics think about the 2nd quarter timeout when the hawks had 3rd and 28 from their own 15 yard line or so. I think you just take the delay of game and save the timeout. As is turned out the hawks scored that late 2nd qtr TD with about 15-20 seconds left and one timeout.

Also your thoughts as to why after CJ did the naked boot for a first down to seal the win the hawks handed it off to Daniels on the next 1st down rather than taking a knee. IU was out of timeouts and only about 1:30 to play.

I am not trying to be super picky but it would have been terrible to have an Eagles-Giants Joe Pisarchick type fumble and give IU more life.

Any thoughts?

Not TRYING to be super picky doesn't remove the result. (Imo.) If you dissect every game to this degree, I don't know how you ever get any enjoyment out of a season. Like the previous poster said, the only #'s that matter are 9 and 0.

Not TRYING to be super picky doesn't remove the result. (Imo.) If you dissect every game to this degree, I don't know how you ever get any enjoyment out of a season. Like the previous poster said, the only #'s that matter are 9 and 0.

I think many posters, myself included, are just so pumped up about the Hawks right now that they want to talk about something. I see the original post as an attempt to discuss strategy relative to the Hawks, not to be overly critical of the team or coaches. Just my take.

And you are right, even the best coaching performances will have some calls that can be second-guessed.

But lets be honest, someone on the sideline screwed the math up by running the ball when they should have just taken a knee. It is a fair discussion point without blowing it up.

Yes, some in this thread are saying 9-0 is all that matters....but I think you would be singing a different tune had Daniels fumbled.

It was a bad call, plain and simple.

Who says I dissect every game to this degree????

But these types of things, especially not taking a knee but instead handing off, are the types of things that jump right out at me because it is so simple. As soon as CJ ran that naked boot and got the first down while staying in bounds I knew it was Victory Formation time but the hawks still called a handoff and running play and L Daniels did not go down easily.

As far as the timeout call, come on all you armchair coaches adn QBs, what is the probability of of making a 3rd and 28 from your own 15 or 20 yard line? Come on especially if you are going to call a running play, is it 1 % as my friend said who was watching the game with me. And when I said just take the delay and save the time out my friend said "yep, 3rd and 33 is about a .5% chance of making".

Yes, some in this thread are saying 9-0 is all that matters....but I think you would be singing a different tune had Daniels fumbled.

It was a bad call, plain and simple.

But he didn't fumble, did he, so I think I'll keep singing the same tune. It also makes the topic pretty irrelevant ...imo. I agree with the previous posters. Everybody's am
ped about what might lie ahead and the position we're in and that's great. It's also fine if some fans want to go down the road of the 'what if', even when there's no 'what if' to be scared of. We're 9-0 this a.m. I'm turning my thoughts to Minny next Saturday and waiting for the rankings to come out later today. That's how I'd rather spent this a.m. rather than chew over a couple decisions made that had zero affect on the outcome of yesterdays game. Just the difference in me and thee, I guess.

Latest posts