Taking A Sneak Peak at Hawkeye Football 2018

My view of next season is...show me...show me Kirk, that you are worth the money Iowa throws your way every year.

Do something other than being average, dull, and a doormat for someone in a bowl...

Just do it...

I’m thinking 8-4. Losses to Wisconsin and PSU. A few more inexplicable losses. We go through this every year - guys at key positions coming back, should be better, yet the staff cannot seem to achieve even modestly good expectations.

[QUOTE="STILLBUSTER, post:

Will Nate Stanley learn any new audibles? How 'bout simply sticking with the play and maybe using your legs? Worse case, you stay with the called pass and it's incomplete; no different than getting stuffed for no gain.

I totally agree with this. Seems everybody knows what is coming when he does that. What's the point.

This team looks like it will be something special!

Not sure what kind of special you mean. Do you mean 5-6 or 6-6? or 9-3.

Listen, the offense needs consistency, pass plays that are high probability of completion, other teams have this. Big body TEs do this. This years team could not run wide so we need to quit wasting those plays if the same thing happens next year. Consistency and efficiency while setting up some big pass plays.

The defense is going to miss the Lbkrs and maybe if we have a really good extra 215 pound safety we can move him to wide side lbkr and to cover TEs. Josh Jackson is a key because two really good corners lets you play them man to man and the other 9 more of a zone in the middle of the field.

Need big punting upgrade. Kicking is very good right now.

9-3 would be a big upgrade in a way but really just about where this year's team could of should of been.

I love how we're at the point where we look forward to soft schedules in order to win.
Get ready for another fake ID.

And the punter situation? I can't even.

He moved to LB in August and has been increasing size and strength this fall. I think he'll be a factor.

I think he is listed at 6'1" and 215 on the Hawk roster. Assuming that is what he came in at, he would be pretty similar to what Kirksey, Bower, Hitchens, Mends, etc. came in at.

Importantly, he played both CB and S in high school. The Leo LB position is as much of a "slot corner" than it is a LB (that is how PFF classifies and scores our Leos; as an aside, Nieman performs very well relative to other slot corners across college football). Having someone who can cover is crucial.

Manage your expectations:

6 to 8 wins

9 games we'll barely score more than 20 points, and then a few others we'll look great wondering what happened in the other games

I think he is listed at 6'1" and 215 on the Hawk roster. Assuming that is what he came in at, he would be pretty similar to what Kirksey, Bower, Hitchens, Mends, etc. came in at.

Importantly, he played both CB and S in high school. The Leo LB position is as much of a "slot corner" than it is a LB (that is how PFF classifies and scores our Leos; as an aside, Nieman performs very well relative to other slot corners across college football). Having someone who can cover is crucial.

I actually think he's been working on the weak-side but could also see him getting a look at LEO. I think Nick Niemann get the first look at LEO, depending on what Iowa adds in recruiting. I think there will be a lot of mixing and matching in the spring.

I actually think he's been working on the weak-side but could also see him getting a look at LEO. I think Nick Niemann get the first look at LEO, depending on what Iowa adds in recruiting. I think there will be a lot of mixing and matching in the spring.

Thanks. I guess Hitchens and Bower would be the comps, then. Didn't Hitchens come in as a safety before the Hawks helped him become a starting NFL LB?

Latest posts