Takeaways: Northwestern Take Down Hawkeyes

Breaking it down. Who actually shot poorly. Specifically it was PM and CM. Murray to a lesser degree.

3s weren't going in. Many weren't contested.

Murray was 0-6 from 3 but 5-7 from 2. His 3s were contested.

PM was 0-1 from 2. 1-5 from 3.
CM was 1-1 from 2. 0-3 from 3.
CM had no ft Pm had 1. Indicative of lack of driving.

Our 2 guards shot 4 free throws making 2

PS was 1-5 from 3 bit 2 of 2 from 2. Was 2 of 2 from the line.

A coach and player called a coach on the floor knows you drive and create if 3s aren't falling.

For as many misses Hawks had dismal O rebounds. 3s can be hard to board, awkward 3s are harder.

Who had a bad night? The 3 Mcafs.

The game plan was awful. Perkins could drive all night. Hawks eliminated 1 or 2 players most of the game by standing open at the 3.

Running a few O or drive and dish should have been implemented.
.FM shoukd have a T for a bad game plan..

Breaking it down. Who actually shot poorly. Specifically it was PM and CM. Murray to a lesser degree.

3s weren't going in. Many weren't contested.

Murray was 0-6 from 3 but 5-7 from 2. His 3s were contested.

PM was 0-1 from 2. 1-5 from 3.
CM was 1-1 from 2. 0-3 from 3.
CM had no ft Pm had 1. Indicative of lack of driving.

Our 2 guards shot 4 free throws making 2

PS was 1-5 from 3 bit 2 of 2 from 2. Was 2 of 2 from the line.

A coach and player called a coach on the floor knows you drive and create if 3s aren't falling.

For as many misses Hawks had dismal O rebounds. 3s can be hard to board, awkward 3s are harder.

Who had a bad night? The 3 Mcafs.

The game plan was awful. Perkins could drive all night. Hawks eliminated 1 or 2 players most of the game by standing open at the 3.

Running a few O or drive and dish should have been implemented.
.FM shoukd have a T for a bad game plan..
It is obvious from this and other posts you don't like PM, but at least be fair.

You lead by saying that PM and CM were the poor shooters. But, how was PS any better? I would say he was even worse because he was hunting shots rather than waiting for the shots to come to him.

Or Murray for that matter? He could not buy an outside shot and a lot of his makes were layups where he was put in good position due to a pass from his teammate.

Besides Perkins, everyone shot shitty. Don't just single out the McCaffreys when the whole damn team sucked. The number of wide open 3s missed was mind-boggling. One of those nights.

Fran was the lucky one. He didn't have to continue to watch the game like the rest of us. :)

The whole team collectively vomited all over the basketball court last night. There wasn't a whole lot positive to take from it. Iowa struggled to get things going overall. But overall, the shots did not fall. We had good looks, but just couldn't get anything going. Burn the game tape and move on.

It is obvious from this and other posts you don't like PM, but at least be fair.

You lead by saying that PM and CM were the poor shooters. But, how was PS any better? I would say he was even worse because he was hunting shots rather than waiting for the shots to come to him.

Or Murray for that matter? He could not buy an outside shot and a lot of his makes were layups where he was put in good position due to a pass from his teammate.

Besides Perkins, everyone shot shitty. Don't just single out the McCaffreys when the whole damn team sucked. The number of wide open 3s missed was mind-boggling. One of those nights.

Fran was the lucky one. He didn't have to continue to watch the game like the rest of us. :)
For the 100th time. It's the offense. It's what NW dictated. Flip drew 2. If not a flex the put in a swing type O for a bit and swing Flip who will take 2 with him. That will loosen up Murray or if not loosen up PM to drive which is what he does best or allow CM not to drive on a good defender so he can dish.

This isn't rocket science. It's basic coaching. Therein is the problem.

For the 100th time. It's the offense. It's what NW dictated. Flip drew 2. If not a flex the put in a swing type O for a bit and swing Flip who will take 2 with him. That will loosen up Murray or if not loosen up PM to drive which is what he does best or allow CM not to drive on a good defender so he can dish.

The scheme was not the issue. Iowa had so many open 3s that did not go down it was almost comical. You live by the 3, you die by the 3. Let's hope they got that out of their system. Every team has a clunker now and then. Move on, as Powerlifter said, burn that f'ing tape.

The scheme was not the issue. Iowa had so many open 3s that did not go down it was almost comical. You live by the 3, you die by the 3. Let's hope they got that out of their system. Every team has a clunker now and then. Move on, as Powerlifter said, burn that f'ing tape.
Yup

You miss it you miss it. When shots aren't falling you can either was and repeat or change things up. Iowa chose not to change things up which was fine with NW.

You miss it you miss it. When shots aren't falling you can either was and repeat or change things up. Iowa chose not to change things up which was fine with NW.
Um yes. That is what basketball is. You run your scheme and you take good shots that the scheme produces. Iowa's shot selection and scheme was not the issue. They had plenty of good looking shots that were not dropping.

Iowa went 3-24 for from 3. My god that is gross. If Iowa shoots a very average 33% from 3, they have 15 more points. That is the difference in the game right there.

Your solution is to abandon your core game plan and design totally new offensive sets on the fly? Let's say your super "basic coaching" scheme produces the results you desire, whose to say the shots your "not rocket scientist" scheme creates will drop either? Iowa missed plenty of shorter shots too. It was brutal to watch.

The truth is that when you shoot, more than half of the time you fail. As we have seen with PS, confidence can play a role in that, but so do the law of averages. Sometimes you just have a game where the shots are not falling. It happens. Let's hope it doesn't happen in the tournament. But, no matter what, you play your system and believe that the shots will start to drop.

Analogy:
BF: "Dad, we just can't seem to move the ball this game. I think we should run the wish bone."

Um yes. That is what basketball is. You run your scheme and you take good shots that the scheme produces. Iowa's shot selection and scheme was not the issue. They had plenty of good looking shots that were not dropping.

Iowa went 3-24 for from 3. My god that is gross. If Iowa shoots a very average 33% from 3, they have 15 more points. That is the difference in the game right there.

Your solution is to abandon your core game plan and design totally new offensive sets on the fly? Let's say your super "basic coaching" scheme produces the results you desire, whose to say the shots your "not rocket scientist" scheme creates will drop either? Iowa missed plenty of shorter shots too. It was brutal to watch.

The truth is that when you shoot, more than half of the time you fail. As we have seen with PS, confidence can play a role in that, but so do the law of averages. Sometimes you just have a game where the shots are not falling. It happens. Let's hope it doesn't happen in the tournament. But, no matter what, you play your system and believe that the shots will start to drop.

Analogy:
BF: "Dad, we just can't seem to move the ball this game. I think we should run the wish bone."
Not like that at all. Teams have multiple sets for against man up D or Zone. You make changes. I just don't get the comparisons. Ya maybe junior you simplify things. This is D1.

Go to a well coached hs game and sit behind a well coached team. Markers and clipboards on the fly. Even so you still do various sets.

A better comparison is off tackle v screen v jet sweep , v cossing v deep ball depending on what the d us doing unless you were Barry Switzer where you had 3 options

Maybe watching too much Ferentz ball? Run on 1 and 2 and long pass on 3rd cause this is what we do?

That's BB.

Some of you just can't admit....FM has glaring weaknesses.

I did think Flip should have swung outside if they were going to double him. And Perkins' first half foul trouble all but guaranteed Pat would see more minutes than warranted.

Still wouldn't have sat Perkins. Especially because the charge call was questionable at best.. But Fran must have felt we were still close enough to mount the charge in the second half.

Fran felt wrong. Cats were locked in on both sides of the court from the opening possession. They were able to get screen action going downhill to the bucket from the first possession of the game.

Haven't read all the thread but can we simple say, they shot terrible. Wide open three's that NW was giving them. Then they packed the middle. End of story. Their struggling guard gets hot from 3 and it's over. I thought Iowa's defense was good, especially early. Iowa had an opportunity to bury them early but Chris, Connor, and the team decided to have one of the worst shooting nights of the season. Then NW did just enough to stay ahead by about 10 to 12 the rest of the game by savy play. If Iowa hits anywhere near their average this is a two point game. Move on and beat Whisky, then maybe get a rubber game in the tourney.

Not like that at all. Teams have multiple sets for against man up D or Zone. You make changes. I just don't get the comparisons. Ya maybe junior you simplify things. This is D1.

Go to a well coached hs game and sit behind a well coached team. Markers and clipboards on the fly. Even so you still do various sets.

A better comparison is off tackle v screen v jet sweep , v cossing v deep ball depending on what the d us doing unless you were Barry Switzer where you had 3 options

Maybe watching too much Ferentz ball? Run on 1 and 2 and long pass on 3rd cause this is what we do?

That's BB.

Some of you just can't admit....FM has glaring weaknesses.
We get it. You don't like PM and you know more about coaching basketball than the guy who will retire with the most wins in school history. Congrats on those takes.

You can blame a 20 point loss for a team that shot 12% from the 3 on the coach for not being as smart as you with his dry erase board if you want, but Fran wasn't the one missing all those wide open 3s. Sometimes a team that relies heavily on the 3-ball (which frankly, is just about every team anymore), has an off shooting night. Burn the tape and move on.

We get it. You don't like PM and you know more about coaching basketball than the guy who will retire with the most wins in school history. Congrats on those takes.

You can blame a 20 point loss for a team that shot 12% from the 3 on the coach for not being as smart as you with his dry erase board if you want, but Fran wasn't the one missing all those wide open 3s. Sometimes a team that relies heavily on the 3-ball (which frankly, is just about every team anymore), has an off shooting night. Burn the tape and move on.
Bad games happen. Anyone who has coached would be baffled by their not changing things up and the shooters themselves. I get that a number of you like to play fan victim. That's BB. I get it. rah rah rah.

What is so hard to understand. You aren't making 3s. You can cycle and repeat or change things up. That is out of the Lute school of strategy.

Last edited:
Bad games happen. Anyone who has coached would be baffled by their not changing things up and the shooters themselves. I get that a number of you like to play fan victim. That's BB. I get it. rah rah rah.

What is so hard to understand. You aren't making 3s. You can cycle and repeat or change things up. That is out of the Lute school of strategy.
The notion that Fran was not trying different line-ups and sets is silly. He pushed buttons, nothing worked. He was even fun enough to go nuclear and hit the showers early. The offensive sets were not the problem.

We all enjoy playing Monday morning QBs for football and MBB when the team loses. But, there is a bit too much hubris to claim that if Fran would have drawn up a couple of HawkGold's plays on the old dry erase board that Iowa would have won a game that they lost by 20. That was a good and hot team, playing in a suddenly great home environment and we couldn't hit the broad side of an elephant's ass with a yard rake. I don't think drawing up Shooter's picket fence to Meryl would have saved the day......

The notion that Fran was not trying different line-ups and sets is silly. He pushed buttons, nothing worked. He was even fun enough to go nuclear and hit the showers early. The offensive sets were not the problem.

We all enjoy playing Monday morning QBs for football and MBB when the team loses. But, there is a bit too much hubris to claim that if Fran would have drawn up a couple of HawkGold's plays on the old dry erase board that Iowa would have won a game that they lost by 20. That was a good and hot team, playing in a suddenly great home environment and we couldn't hit the broad side of an elephant's ass with a yard rake. I don't think drawing up Shooter's picket fence to Meryl would have saved the day......
It's not about different lineup and I'm not sure why you and a couple of others get so bent out of shape about looking at what is going on. Several of us have coaching experience and it's normal to assess. I've been pretty clear about my views on the strengths and weaknesses of players and they are real. No one is going undefeated. What is maddening is when a team does the same Load, Rinse, Wash and Spin cycle over and over again.

NW played a great game and had a great plan. THEY dictated the game.

I've broken down some observations.

Iowa is at its best when Sandfort plays about 25 minutes or more and scores in droves late sometimes as he's tired and that is not uncommon.

Isolating 3 shooters is fine as long as your best shooter (stats don't tell everything) is doing it). If they don't fall you try something different but not just with different players. He is also at the top or near the top on boards and assists per minute played.

Iowa likely wasn't going to win on that date, but holy cow it felt like watching Iowa's FB offense over and over..

Haven't read all the thread but can we simple say, they shot terrible. Wide open three's that NW was giving them. Then they packed the middle. End of story. Their struggling guard gets hot from 3 and it's over. I thought Iowa's defense was good, especially early. Iowa had an opportunity to bury them early but Chris, Connor, and the team decided to have one of the worst shooting nights of the season. Then NW did just enough to stay ahead by about 10 to 12 the rest of the game by savy play. If Iowa hits anywhere near their average this is a two point game. Move on and beat Whisky, then maybe get a rubber game in the tourney.
Sometimes it is just simple, as you clearly pointed out.

Yup

It's not about different lineup and I'm not sure why you and a couple of others get so bent out of shape about looking at what is going on. Several of us have coaching experience and it's normal to assess. I've been pretty clear about my views on the strengths and weaknesses of players and they are real. No one is going undefeated. What is maddening is when a team does the same Load, Rinse, Wash and Spin cycle over and over again.

NW played a great game and had a great plan. THEY dictated the game.

I've broken down some observations.

Iowa is at its best when Sandfort plays about 25 minutes or more and scores in droves late sometimes as he's tired and that is not uncommon.

Isolating 3 shooters is fine as long as your best shooter (stats don't tell everything) is doing it). If they don't fall you try something different but not just with different players. He is also at the top or near the top on boards and assists per minute played.

Iowa likely wasn't going to win on that date, but holy cow it felt like watching Iowa's FB offense over and over..
Pat didn't have it in Evanston. But we were 5-1 since his return until we ran into the north shore buzzsaw.

Pat didn't have it in Evanston. But we were 5-1 since his return until we ran into the north shore buzzsaw.
Small sample, but yes. Good point. Some of those games had very few minutes. He is a contributor and gives an attack on the basket. The bunch up in the lane did not exploit that.