Takeaways: No. 1 Purdue Bests Hawkeyes

I didn't take much out of that loss and really did not believe we had much more than a punchers chance to begin with. Purdue is a Final Four caliber team, was at home, was pissed they just lost to their instate rival, and their center is a freak of nature and we don't have a true center.

The only way I thought we could win is if Kris had a freakish, MVP type performance and he did not. Kris is a great great player, and the comparisons between him and his unbelievable brother are not fair, but Keegan was more clutch in big games. I hope Kris proves me wrong.

I appreciate the fight that the team put in to almost climb back into the game. Patrick played well again. His brother led the way with the most airball three pointers I can recall in one game.

The guards went 8-33 (3-12 from distance) from the floor...one being an extremely fortuitous bouncy 3 ball from Payton. Bottom line, that's not going to garner a win anywhere, especially on the road against #1.

Climbing back and losing by 14 doesn't mean much.

Didn't get to watch the game due to work. But, looking at the box scores.... Iowa just doesn't rebound well, getting smoked by 20. FTs not much of a deal except not a lot called.

TO's and steals way in Iowa's favor. To be that close and lose RB by 20 is an accomplishment.

In the end. Iowa is about 2nd best in the league...with 8 other teams. IU may actually be 2nd best, but schedules make a difference. All those teams have strengths and weaknesses.

In the tourney, the Hawks gonna struggle against big frontcourt teams and tight D. Like an incomplete team. Like about 8 teams in the Big. Purdue's weakness will be lack of playing complete teams.

Climbing back and losing by 14 doesn't mean much.

Didn't get to watch the game due to work. But, looking at the box scores.... Iowa just doesn't rebound well, getting smoked by 20. FTs not much of a deal except not a lot called.

TO's and steals way in Iowa's favor. To be that close and lose RB by 20 is an accomplishment.

In the end. Iowa is about 2nd best in the league...with 8 other teams. IU may actually be 2nd best, but schedules make a difference. All those teams have strengths and weaknesses.

In the tourney, the Hawks gonna struggle against big frontcourt teams and tight D. Like an incomplete team. Like about 8 teams in the Big. Purdue's weakness will be lack of playing complete teams.
I think this is a good summary. Do you think anyone would notice if Luka Garza sneaked into the game for us?

Lunardi has Iowa as a 6 seed today - if Iowa can finish strong, we might have some decent matchups and could potentially a higher seed than last season.

When will we know for sure if Sunday's game will happen?

Lunardi has Iowa as a 6 seed today - if Iowa can finish strong, we might have some decent matchups and could potentially a higher seed than last season.

Sunday for sure.

I could be wrong but I think it will be played. If they were cancelling I think we would have heard by now.

I still think Iowa will be a tough out in the tourney. For a change, we actually have some guards that can penetrate and play defense. Guard and wing play is usually the thing that leads the way in the tourney. Shooting percentages suffer, so whichever team can figure out how to make shots go in from deep has the upperhand. Yes, a dominant center like Edey is a real match-up problem, but not many teams have a talented center like Purdue. And, its not like we ever got far when we had Garza at center.

Iowa needs 20+ from Murrary, 15 from Filip, and one of its shooters to get hot.

I have seen plenty of Fran teams tap out in games like yesterday. It was good to see them hang in there when they weren't playing well.

I think they match their record from last year and go 12-8 in conference play. Which will be good enough to get the double bye in the B1G tourney.

I still think Iowa will be a tough out in the tourney. For a change, we actually have some guards that can penetrate and play defense. Guard and wing play is usually the thing that leads the way in the tourney. Shooting percentages suffer, so whichever team can figure out how to make shots go in from deep has the upperhand. Yes, a dominant center like Edey is a real match-up problem, but not many teams have a talented center like Purdue. And, its not like we ever got far when we had Garza at center.

Iowa needs 20+ from Murrary, 15 from Filip, and one of its shooters to get hot.
I think you are talking about rebounds...right?
When you get O rebounds a lot are easy put backs. Hawks don't get many...that and D rebound breakaways....not as many as they could.

I didn't take much out of that loss and really did not believe we had much more than a punchers chance to begin with. Purdue is a Final Four caliber team, was at home, was pissed they just lost to their instate rival, and their center is a freak of nature and we don't have a true center.

The only way I thought we could win is if Kris had a freakish, MVP type performance and he did not. Kris is a great great player, and the comparisons between him and his unbelievable brother are not fair, but Keegan was more clutch in big games. I hope Kris proves me wrong.

I appreciate the fight that the team put in to almost climb back into the game. Patrick played well again. His brother led the way with the most airball three pointers I can recall in one game.

I don't feel Purdue is a Final Four team. It feels like typical Purdue to me. They have won the most B1G regular season championships since 1980 and you can see them flaming out like they normally do in the NCAA tournament.

Iowa on a neutral site can easily play with them.

Not throwing shade at Matt Painter because I think he is the best coach in the B1G, his team is just good, not great, despite what their record tells you.

I have Dish. The guide shows Iowa men vs MN Sunday on FS1 at 12:00 central Time. Then FS1 shows the Iowa women vs Rutgers at 2:00 pm. No. That makes no sense, of course, unless the men’s game will be abbreviated playing time. Then Hawkeye wire shows Iowa/MN at 10:00 am. But FS1 shows Motorcycle shit from 10:00 to noon. WTF.

Iowa is in the top half of the conference in rebounding, considering how we're built, Iowa rebounds really well.

I don't feel Purdue is a Final Four team. It feels like typical Purdue to me. They have won the most B1G regular season championships since 1980 and you can see them flaming out like they normally do in the NCAA tournament.

Iowa on a neutral site can easily play with them.

Not throwing shade at Matt Painter because I think he is the best coach in the B1G, his team is just good, not great, despite what their record tells you.
With respect, it is really really F'ing hard to get to the Final Four. Fran has never even sniffed it. Mr. Davis didn't make it. Iowa has only made it once in my lifetime and we have a good program. Every year, probably 35 or so teams enter the NCAA tourney with a legitimate shot at making the Final Four. The odds are so against you, just statistically, let alone how fickle basketball games can be in a one and done tourney. The fact that Painters teams have never done it is not an indictment against him as much as a testament to how hard it is to do unless you are a cheating blue blood like Kansas or Kentucky.

Whether or not Purdue's current squad makes it to the Final Four or not, it is a Final Four caliber team without a doubt. They are ranked number 1 in the country and kept that title even after they lost to Indiana. If the season ended today, they would be the number 1 overall seed. Unless Edey gets injured, that team has as good a shot as anyone to make a deep run. That was a good team and Iowa played hard, but was out-talented. Iowa loses to Purdue 7 out of 10 times on a neutral court IMHO.

I have Dish. The guide shows Iowa men vs MN Sunday on FS1 at 12:00 central Time. Then FS1 shows the Iowa women vs Rutgers at 2:00 pm. No. That makes no sense, of course, unless the men’s game will be abbreviated playing time. Then Hawkeye wire shows Iowa/MN at 10:00 am. But FS1 shows Motorcycle shit from 10:00 to noon. WTF.

The Hawkeye women play Rutgers at 2 PM on Sunday in Iowa Citye

The men are scheduled to play Minnesota at Noon on Sunday in Minneapolis

Still not certain if the men's game in going to be played

With respect, it is really really F'ing hard to get to the Final Four. Fran has never even sniffed it. Mr. Davis didn't make it. Iowa has only made it once in my lifetime and we have a good program. Every year, probably 35 or so teams enter the NCAA tourney with a legitimate shot at making the Final Four. The odds are so against you, just statistically, let alone how fickle basketball games can be in a one and done tourney. The fact that Painters teams have never done it is not an indictment against him as much as a testament to how hard it is to do unless you are a cheating blue blood like Kansas or Kentucky.

Whether or not Purdue's current squad makes it to the Final Four or not, it is a Final Four caliber team without a doubt. They are ranked number 1 in the country and kept that title even after they lost to Indiana. If the season ended today, they would be the number 1 overall seed. Unless Edey gets injured, that team has as good a shot as anyone to make a deep run. That was a good team and Iowa played hard, but was out-talented. Iowa loses to Purdue 7 out of 10 times on a neutral court IMHO.
Purdue will be a little disadvantaged due to the competition in the Big. Kinda hard to tell how good they are.

Iowa is in the top half of the conference in rebounding, considering how we're built, Iowa rebounds really well.
The top 3 teams smoked Iowa on the boards. Probably most indicative of the NCAA outcome.

Iowa is not a good rebounding team and you can't hide that. KM and FR are just not that big.

We've all seen Iowa's lack of box out.

Iowa is 1st in Big in possessions per game. Only IL and OSU I think are in the same general area of ranking. Iowa something like 60 nationally and IL 90 something. So the boards will pile up.

24 by Kris on the road at #1 Purdue is nothing to sneeze at!

Latest posts