Take the major conferences like...

SWIHawk

the Big 10, Big 12, PAC 10, SEC, ACC and Big East. Is there a basketball team this year in any of these conferences worse than Iowa?

I hate to dwell on the negative, and I will admit I am still a believer in what COULD happen at Iowa in the next three years. However, I can't find a team in any major conference that I would say is worse than Iowa. Has Iowa ever been in this bad of shape in any major sport?

Also, with all the Big 10 re-alignment talk, I have heard people "joke" of the possibility of Iowa State moving to the Missouri Valley. I absolutely believe there is no chance of that. But, I am not sure Iowa fans can afford to joke about it. Right now, I don't see Iowa finishing in the top half of that conference.

Here's to Lick and the gang getting things turned around at Iowa. Nobody wants it more than I, but I am just finding it harder and harder to believe.

Depaul and Indiana are pretty bad. I'd take Indiana over Iowa but Depaul has lost to, what are probably worse teams than Iowa has lost to. Then again, they beat UNI and have a winning record.

If you break it down on stats only, here are the worst teams from each conference as of right now and their Pomeroy rating.

Big 12 - Oklahoma (8-4), 109
ACC - NC State (8-2), 97
Big East - DePaul (7-5), 192
Big Ten - Iowa (5-7), 180
SEC - Arkansas (7-5), 191
Pac10 - Oregon State (5-5), 144

Iowa has a better rating than two of the other worst programs in the "BCS" schools. If you go record-based, UCLA is 4-7.

I guess you can make you own decision, I don't know that there is a clear-cut choice.

... I have heard people "joke" of the possibility of Iowa State moving to the Missouri Valley. I absolutely believe there is no chance of that. But, I am not sure Iowa fans can afford to joke about it. Right now, I don't see Iowa finishing in the top half of that conference.

This has been rolling around in my mind for a few hours. As one who has written that very joke, let me inject the following for you:
1. Take it in the context it was written - as part of a football discussion and as a joke. It was a jab at ISU football, and ISU football alone.
2. I agree it would never happen, and football is the very reason. ISU is tradionllay not very strong, but would they drop to FCS? Not hardly. In hoops ISU could be a dominant team in the MVC, and they would gain a home/away against Drake and UNI. However, this would never actually happen.
3. In hoops sgainst MVC this season, Iowa is 1-2. UNI is a team projected to be in the conference title mix behind two pre-season all-conference players. WSU is also going to be one of the top teams in the MVC, usually a middle-of-the road team in the conference. I live just north of Koch Arena, and this team is one of the better ones in recent years for the Shocks. Drake was tabbed eighth out of 10 this season. For what it's worth, ISU is 1-1 against the Valley - falling to UNI and beating Drake. UNI will win the mythical state title this year.

So there you have it -- it was just a joke, plain and simple

If you break it down on stats only, here are the worst teams from each conference as of right now and their Pomeroy rating.

Big 12 - Oklahoma (8-4), 109
ACC - NC State (8-2), 97
Big East - DePaul (7-5), 192
Big Ten - Iowa (5-7), 180
SEC - Arkansas (7-5), 191
Pac10 - Oregon State (5-5), 144

Iowa has a better rating than two of the other worst programs in the "BCS" schools. If you go record-based, UCLA is 4-7.

I guess you can make you own decision, I don't know that there is a clear-cut choice.

Ugh, just makes one ill. How far we have fallen....

Latest posts