Tailgating @ Finkbine

LightsOut

Questions for anyone in the know.

A group of family and friends of mine will be coming down to Iowa City for the Iowa State game. We will be arriving in a small RV on Friday Night as I notice Finkbine opens up for parking at 7pm.

What we need to know is the rules of what we can and can't do going forward into the evening and into Saturday?

Secondly when would we want to show up Friday? Is it backed up pretty good getting in or not?

I know the new rules as far as tailgating goes around gametime would just like some more information about Friday night/Saturday morning.

GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!

From what I read about RVs and staying the night is that you can not have ANY alcohol at all the night before. I'm not sure how they enforce this but if you are going to be drinking it would be best to keep it inside the RV.

No drinking adult beverages on campus property until 12:01am.They do line up to park there cars the night before but you should find plenty of spaces for your RV.

We tailgate in the Finkbine RV lot right off of Melrose. If you get there around 7:00 or 7:30 you should have no trouble. Although with it being the first game and Fry Fest you may want to be there a little earlier. Also a couple of things to keep in mind when staying in that lot.

1. No drinking outside of the camper on Friday night is allowed. Keep it inside.
2. No cars are allowed in the lot until 7:00 AM Saturday.
3. The Per Mar folks are pretty pushy and take their job seriously, so I would advise not too much horseplay the night before the game. The 5-0 also come around periodically on Fridays nights, so with the new rules, just be aware of that!

This will be our fourth year in the lot and it is a pretty nice spot. A lot of action with Melrose traffic, and great a view of Coeds walking around!

Unless this has changed this year you should be able to park cars the night before. We usually arrive around 10-11 pm before big games and have no trouble getting into the lot. We did not do this last year but ISU the year before we went the night before.

According to uifootballparking.com anyone can park the night before (Friday night) on the concrete, but only at 7am Saturday are car/SUVs allowed to come in and park on the grass.

To anyone who parks at Finkbine off Melrose - which is better for a car? Parking on concrete the night before, or parking on the grass golf course the day of? Are canopies allowed in both areas? I assume in the grass/course area you have two rows of cars backing up to each other with their tents/canopies in between? Or...not? I'm thinking the grass would give more room to set up tents, chairs, grills, etc than on the concrete lot.

Along this same theme .. if we arrive early on Friday night with an RV, is there parking on Melrose to wait for lot opening?

According to uifootballparking.com anyone can park the night before (Friday night) on the concrete, but only at 7am Saturday are car/SUVs allowed to come in and park on the grass.

To anyone who parks at Finkbine off Melrose - which is better for a car? Parking on concrete the night before, or parking on the grass golf course the day of? Are canopies allowed in both areas? I assume in the grass/course area you have two rows of cars backing up to each other with their tents/canopies in between? Or...not? I'm thinking the grass would give more room to set up tents, chairs, grills, etc than on the concrete lot.

Bump this for HawkfromNorwak, as I'm kind of wondering about how much space there is to set up canopies and tables and such as well.

Bump this for HawkfromNorwak, as I'm kind of wondering about how much space there is to set up canopies and tables and such as well.

Pretty much you have your parking space and you can extend out into the lane, especially once it gets full. Otherwise there isn't really any grass areas to set up like Finkbine Commuter. Also for the later games it seems they aren't parking people in the golf course lot. For both ISU and PSU we tried to pull in there and they forced us back to the commuter lot. I think they are trying to fill that first before letting people park in the golf course lot.

Pretty much you have your parking space and you can extend out into the lane, especially once it gets full. Otherwise there isn't really any grass areas to set up like Finkbine Commuter. Also for the later games it seems they aren't parking people in the golf course lot. For both ISU and PSU we tried to pull in there and they forced us back to the commuter lot. I think they are trying to fill that first before letting people park in the golf course lot.

So if you've got (like I do) a canopy and everything, the commuter lot is the better option?

So if you've got (like I do) a canopy and everything, the commuter lot is the better option?

We use our canopy without problem. Since there's no grass to stake it down in we just bring some weights with us to tie it down if needed. We usually put the canopy partially over the back of our SUV and then open the back of it. There is enough room between cars for that. Then we take the bags game out into the lane.

Latest posts