Syracuse

IowaHawkeyeFB

Can Iowa go up to Syracuse and get a W? No idea what kind of home cooking Boeheim gets, but I see they lost to PSU by 21.

I think Iowa should matchup very well with Cuse’s zone. Put Connor at the free throw line surrounded by our three snipers on the outside with Garza working the block.

With that said Cuse is probably going to be a very desperate team playing at home. This will be Iowa’s first true road game of the year. Home court advantage is huge in college basketball.

Last edited:
I was going to fly out there today to hang out with family of mine that lives there and catch the game tomorrow. But good ole Mother Nature had my flight canceled from DC to up there so I'll just avoid all that getting delayed/laid over in airports crap and stay home.

Kind of looking at the schedule and where we are at, probably need to win either at Cuse or in Chicago Vs Cincy. Both winnable games but not going to be easy. Sadly I doubt we win at ISU.

That puts us at 7-4 in the non conference and would need about 11-9 in the B1G play to sniff the bubble. Who knows, if Jbo shuts it down that will look a lot more daunting.

Cuse is Cuse in name only right now. You get blitzed by PSU, and get smacked by a thoroughly mediocre Okie St, things are not looking good. That said Elijah Hughes has been outstanding for them and as always, it's a road game in college basketball, and the Carrier Dome is a weird place. Tough one to win but Iowa certainly has a shot.

I think this will also be a big game for RK operating in the middle of the zone, he’s a decent passer but he has to avoid turnovers, which he’s also been prone to. If they give him the free throw line jump shot he can knock it down.

I think if Iowa wins they will need to score about 80. Our defense just needs to make them earn it, outside of one guy they don’t have a lot of scoring firepower, but if Iowa is giving wide open shots and layups, that might not matter. They say defense travels, and unfortunately Iowa’s defense still is pretty unproven, so it’s our offense that will have to try and win us a lot of these games.

Kind of looking at the schedule and where we are at, probably need to win either at Cuse or in Chicago Vs Cincy. Both winnable games but not going to be easy. Sadly I doubt we win at ISU.

That puts us at 7-4 in the non conference and would need about 11-9 in the B1G play to sniff the bubble. Who knows, if Jbo shuts it down that will look a lot more daunting.

This is gonna be one of those years where Iowa can beat anyone and also get beat by anyone. When they hit their 3s in bunches like they did against TT and the 1st half against SDSU, they're dangerous. Consistency seems like a massive issue though.

If Iowa can win 2 of their next 5 I'd be happy. 3 of 5 I'd be giddy. if Iowa can beat Minnesota at home, which they should, they have a pretty legit path to a 3-1 conference start going into a home game vs Maryland.

This is gonna be one of those years where Iowa can beat anyone and also get beat by anyone. When they hit their 3s in bunches like they did against TT and the 1st half against SDSU, they're dangerous. Consistency seems like a massive issue though.

If Iowa can win 2 of their next 5 I'd be happy. 3 of 5 I'd be giddy. if Iowa can beat Minnesota at home, which they should, they have a pretty legit path to a 3-1 conference start going into a home game vs Maryland.
Penn State has looked pretty good so far, and that is a game at the Palestra.

Iowa’s offense can be so efficient and good, they just need to compete on defense. If Wieskamp gets it going to the level we thought, this team could be solid.

Worry about Iowa’s energy level. Think I read where Hlas said they got back from Vegas 2am Saturday morning and fly out again today at 2pm.

Penn State has looked pretty good so far, and that is a game at the Palestra.

Iowa’s offense can be so efficient and good, they just need to compete on defense. If Wieskamp gets it going to the level we thought, this team could be solid.

You're right I didnt realize that Penn State game wasn't at Carver since its marked as a home game on ESPN. Ouch.

Worry about Iowa’s energy level. Think I read where Hlas said they got back from Vegas 2am Saturday morning and fly out again today at 2pm.
Especially Bohannon. He seemed worn down in that SDSU game.
I think Iowa can save the legs a little in this one by playing zone.

Jbo to me only needs to play about 15-20 minutes. Tell him to get up 3s against the zone when he is in there, and then hopefully at the end of the game for free throws.

This is sort of a homecoming game for Joe T so I guarantee he will have a ton of energy.

It would be nice to at least split those two early conference games for a change, not get behind the 8 ball early.

Last year we put ourselves in a huge hole with the early 0-2, which quickly became 0-3 with the Purdue blowout in early January.

I'm not sure what to make of Syracuse. Their 4 wins are against absolute nobodies and all 3 of their losses have been by at least 14 points. On the other hand I have no idea how we'll handle their zone and the game is at their place.

Latest posts