Sweetest Iowa Autograph You Have?

I got Terry Strauss to sign an Iowa football. It was weird he was walking out of the stadium and no one even went up to him. Lucky for me. Man he looks a lot more athletic with a helmet and pads on.

I have an Abdul Hodge on a ticket stub that I got after a game.
Also have Chad Greenway, Ryan Donahue, Shonn Greene, Javon Johnson and some more I can't think of at the moment.
Oh and last year I rode in an elevator with Adrian Clayborn, didn't ask him to sign anything though.

I have a lot of Hawkeye autographs but I think my favorite are the ones that I got at the Hayden Fry Legacy Golf tournament here in Des Moines a few years ago. I have Dan McCarney, Barry Alverez, Bobby Stoops and Kirk Ferentz all on a single piece of paper. It's framed and in my office.

By the way - Dan McCarney was a really cool guy to hang and have some beers with. He really "worked" the room and shook hands with everyone that was there (granted there was only about (25) people there) I thought Bobby Stoops was a punk! Had his visor on upside down and backwards, wore flip flops to the banquet and wore athletic shorts with a tee-shirt hanging out. He didn't look the part at all. He was a total dick!

Kirk was fairly new at the time and I remember thinking I wasn't sure if he was going to make it. He was very quiet, almost nervous and kind-of hung out in the back of the room and appeared to try and stay away from people. He went outside to smoke several times (I'm told he's since quit) and when he wasn't smoking, he was working the gum pretty hard!

200th win (Minnesota) game program signed by Hayden Fry. Pictures signed by Greenway and Robt. Gallery.

Gotta love all things Hawks!

C

The shirt I wore for the "Greene-out" against Penn State is signed by Greene and hanging in a frame.

I've got one from Dan Gable, one from Hayden, and a couple from Mr. Davis.

I think my favorite one is still the one I got from Brad Banks. We waited in line for over an hour before the 2003 spring game. And Banks was about 15 minutes late, so the first 50+ people missed out. He got there and sat down at the very end of the table, as were were just a few players away. There's never been an autograph that I wanted as much as Brad Banks when I was 13 years old.

I have the "Hawkeye Legends, Lists and Lore" book, signed by Hayden Fry, Tom Davis, Chuck Long and Dan Gable, among other names. The coolest item I own. I also have an Acie Earl signed photo that I got in person at SC East High school when Earl and other Hawkeyes played a charity game against local college players after Earl's senior season. Earl didn't play, to protect himself from injury prior to the draft.

My brother has a friend who spends a fortune on Nile Kinnick Memorabilia.. He has Kinnick's personal high-school yearbook, hand-written letters, etc. Cost him over $10k to put that collection together, but don't know the exact value. I just know it's a lot.

Not my top possession, but I also have a Steve Alford signed photo. :D

Last edited:

Latest posts