Surprised this isn't here yet, Kingsbury's kid to walk on

I'd only be against it if it kept someone off the roster. Fran has 2 in his back pocket that he can buy if necessary.

I get your point, though.

Charlie Jones and Keith "Mayor of Lincoln" Duncan's scholarships after p[roving their stuff on the field were two of the most awesome Hawkeye stories in the past few years.
No doubt who doesn't love a good walk on story. And that's how it should work.

If Ash comes out this year and plays 10 plus mins a game or more and is a contributor to some extent then great I'll stand corrected. But even that's a low bar I don't think he'll reach. He's most likely going to be a healthy scratch in more games then what he'll end up seeing any time in.

I get it he's rewarding the guy for all he's done for the program in practice since he's been there. And as you said since it's not going to probably inhibit anyone else from having one and it's there to be had then use it. It's a tad precedent setting just depending how things go. But it's Frans program he can push those buttons it's pretty damn nit picky for me to be saying anything about it really

IMO, if you're not going to use it, give it to a walk on who's helped your program and will be a solid contributor on the grey team rather than just bank it and no one gets it. Iowa has room - Iowa could take more guys if they wanted and they were available and if the coaches thought there was a need. There isn't playing time for 13 guys in CBB. You can't make 13 guys happy in this day and age. Someone in our current climate is always going to be leaving. Use that ship on someone who wants to be here, works hard and helps out rather than just bringing in another kid to bring him in. My .2 cents. CBB teams don't really even need 13 ships and there isn't enough bone on the meat to make them happy, so put it on someone who worked for it.

True. End of the day the lack of other offers is also a reason he was willing to walk on and Fran didn't have to feel like he had to give him one. If NE or MN had offered him a scholly would he have still walked on at Iowa? Would Fran have done any of those other options you mentioned to get him? Not sure we have an honest answer to that hypothetical.

I'm just not a fan of Ash taking up a scholly I'm just not. A guy should have to show he can play not just during garbage time at this point in his career to earned one. Baer earned his almost immediately after his RS year. This is Ashes what 5th yr and he's not going to hardly play still.
I would venture a guess that what you're not happy about is Fran decided to stand pat with the roster he had. Once that decision was made, giving Ash the scholarship instead of wasting it is a no brainer that pretty much everyone should agree with.

I would venture a guess that what you're not happy about is Fran decided to stand pat with the roster he had. Once that decision was made, giving Ash the scholarship instead of wasting it is a no brainer that pretty much everyone should agree with.
Well actually no wasting a scholly is what I don't want to have happen. I think that's what giving one to him actually does. It's more valuable to have it available for someone that can either contribute right away or down the road a little. Neither of which Ash could do. The transfer portal being as wide open as it is I just think having an open scholly in our pocket is a good thing. Giving one to Ash is just a feel good thing for him and his family it's not a program enhancer.

We just lost 2 of the best players the program has ever had especially at the same time. So doing the best they can to try and replace them is probably a good idea.

Last edited:
I still find it very hard to believe, with all of the players that were/are floating out there.....Fran surrenders the scholarship to Downtown DJ Qualls.
1626282636286.png

Well actually no wasting a scholly is what I don't want to have happen. I think that's what giving one to him actually does. It's more valuable to have it available for someone that can either contribute right away or down the road a little. Neither of which Ash could do. The transfer portal being as wide open as it is I just think having an open scholly in our pocket is a good thing. Giving one to Ash is just a feel good thing for him and his family it's not a program enhancer.

We just lost 2 of the best players the program has ever had especially at the same time. So doing the best they can to try and replace them is probably a good idea.
My point was Fran decided he was staying pat on his roster first. After that decision, his choices were to waste it or give it to Ash. I would be shocked to find out Fran still wanted to add to his roster but decided he would rather give it to Ash.

Regarding your point of giving it to someone who could help down the road. Sometimes banking a scholarship to use next year gets you a better player than giving it to someone this year that you aren't really sold on in hopes he contributes down the road.

I still find it very hard to believe, with all of the players that were/are floating out there.....Fran surrenders the scholarship to Downtown DJ Qualls.
View attachment 7925
The number of players that are in the portal is irrelevant. What is relevant is the number of players in there that can contribute to a D1 roster and are interested in Iowa. If you could somehow break down those players as well as the iowa staff could, banking the scholly would probably make a lot more sense to you.

The number of players that are in the portal is irrelevant. What is relevant is the number of players in there that can contribute to a D1 roster and are interested in Iowa. If you could somehow break down those players as well as the iowa staff could, banking the scholly would probably make a lot more sense to you.
So you mean to tell me, they could not find one average D1 guard in that group? Not freaking one they could close the deal on?

I've made this point in another thread, but why not just bank the scholly for the $$ savings? Iowa apparently had a tougher year financially, like most schools. There has been some chatter about how some programs have been cut and coaches taking cuts. It may be a small drop in the bucket but any amount helps.

The only argument I can buy is that it rewards his hard work and efforts the prior years and may look good to future recruits.

1. Iowa still has an open slot
2. There is a ton of trash in the waiver wire that no one wants or guess what?.....they'd no longer be in it. Think a little about that. If you think Iowa is ignoring the portal, you aren't listening to what Iowa's coaching staff has said publicly or you refuse to notice that Iowa has taken in transfers fairly regularly the past few seasons.
3. Fran was satisfied with his roster. He hasn't won enough for me either, but he's won double digit B1G games in 6 of the last 7 seasons and during a time it's been considered one of the best conferences in the game. I give him some leash on making roster decisions. I think Fran kind of likes this team heading into the year.

So you mean to tell me, they could not find one average D1 guard in that group? Not freaking one they could close the deal on?
Do you mean an average D1 guard or an average power 5 guard? I think an average D1 guard would suck in the Big 10 and wouldn't be worth bringing in. An average power 5 guard would be worth it but there are probably very few of those. I'm guessing an Evelyn type player would have been best case. I'm also guessing that Fran would have taken a player like that if he could.

Do you mean an average D1 guard or an average power 5 guard? I think an average D1 guard would suck in the Big 10 and wouldn't be worth bringing in. An average power 5 guard would be worth it but there are probably very few of those. I'm guessing an Evelyn type player would have been best case. I'm also guessing that Fran would have taken a player like that if he could.
Power 5....but quite likely I would take a D1 guard over a D3 one.

Some pretty lofty expectations out there for a kid that had zero scholarship offers just because his dad made a few long three point shots.

Power 5....but quite likely I would take a D1 guard over a D3 one.
Just out of curiosity, say that D1 guard is better than Ash but very unlikely to see the court (probably the type of guards Fran was looking at when he decided to not give one out) how many years would you rather have him taking up a scholarship than Ash's one year? Obviously you would rather have a grad senior than Ash. But what about a kid with 2 years left? Or 3?

Just out of curiosity, say that D1 guard is better than Ash but very unlikely to see the court (probably the type of guards Fran was looking at when he decided to not give one out) how many years would you rather have him taking up a scholarship than Ash's one year? Obviously you would rather have a grad senior than Ash. But what about a kid with 2 years left? Or 3?
I guess, in that case, probably just bank the scholly. That could be another option.

Some pretty lofty expectations out there for a kid that had zero scholarship offers just because his dad made a few long three point shots.
I encourage you to check out his highlights from prep school. I don't think anyone is expecting him to walk in and start day 1. But I think he'll contribute earlier then some might think. He's pretty much a chip off his old mans block. He's 6'5 215 ish much like his Dad was day 1 coming to campus with a similar style of game. I think it'll translate well.

You would rather them bank the scholarship than give it to a walkon?
Well, Ash did not have a scholly anyway and he was off looking for D2 D3 schools to play at.

So, from a competitive standpoint yes. From a goodwill aspect (and the fact he can shoot 3s) he is obviously getting the nod for this year.

Like of said before, maybe he will surprise. Doubtful, but I don't blame Ash here for taking them up on it. But, I think it is a waving of the white flag situation here by Fran....for whatever reason....or serious contentment with going with someone that they know (and big time Iowa fan from the bench) rather than looking to upgrade in filling this scholly.

Off topic, but I just saw video of this Iowa basketball player. I wonder if Bluder is giving her a look?

I based my opinion on his film, he's kind of a baller and has good size, worth a shot and and he's a legacy. Ash doesn't trip over his own shoes I guess, then it's catch ball, shoot ball, that's his role. Don't know how that translates into a D1 player. Do cheerleaders get scollies? Some of them deserve it, hand stands and cartwheels the length of the court. Now that's athletic. Fran could dish out some for them too.

Latest posts