Surprised this isn't here yet, Kingsbury's kid to walk on

I was also surprised it hadn't been posted here yesterday. His film looks a lot like his dad. Similar build, movement and shooting style. Excited to see if he can carve out a role.

Very similar to the Murray twins in that they are legacies and went an extra year to prep school. Hopefully he can have similar success and/or projected success.

6'5 220 lbs.

He is built like his Dad. Hopefully, he can shoot like him as well.

YES!!!!!! This makes me so fired up. The kid is a spitting image of Chris pretty much. Chris was so broad shouldered that when he shot it from deep he did so with such little effort. And he liked to mix it up inside rebounding too.

We are lucky he played HS ball in BFE Neb because he's a D1 talent that's slipped through the cracks. And this is another reason why a kid like Ash shouldn't have been given a scholy. Who's going to end up having the larger impact on the program over their careers? Anyone picking Ash over Kingsbury? I didn't think so...

YES!!!!!! This makes me so fired up. The kid is a spitting image of Chris pretty much. Chris was so broad shouldered that when he shot it from deep he did so with such little effort. And he liked to mix it up inside rebounding too.

We are lucky he played HS ball in BFE Neb because he's a D1 talent that's slipped through the cracks. And this is another reason why a kid like Ash shouldn't have been given a scholy. Who's going to end up having the larger impact on the program over their careers? Anyone picking Ash over Kingsbury? I didn't think so...
What if Ash getting a scholarship was the main reason this kid was ok walking in here? Maybe it gave him hope that he can one day earn a scholarship.

By no means am I a basketball expert, but here are my takes FWIW:

He seems to have great instincts and thinks ahead. I like his shooting ability and quick release. Also like his defense, and I think his instincts will really help him shine in our zone. While everyone compares him to his dad because of his shot, the thing that reminds me the most of his dad is his passing.

I worry about his quickness, which could affect his on the ball defense and ability to create a shot. I just think of the Oregon game.

All in all, though, I'm excited to see him in an Iowa uniform and hope he can be a big contributer. Chris and Kenyon are my 2 all-time favorite Hawks and it worked out for Keegan, so...

What if Ash getting a scholarship was the main reason this kid was ok walking in here? Maybe it gave him hope that he can one day earn a scholarship.
Not buying that. Why on earth would he NOT want a scholly initially if he could? I mean yeah Ash is the reason why we don't have a scholly to offer him but it's not like he turned down other places scholarship offers to do so. And look I'm glad the kid didn't have any D1 offers because I'd have hated to lose him. I'd be curious to know if Hoiberg had any interest at all in him.

If he's quick and athletic enough to play at this level he'll be one hell of a get for us.

Looking at his video he is a bit of a baller. Look ahead passes and some nice head fakes. I guy like him can play at the Big level if he can think ahead. He looks comfortable shooting from far just like his dad. He could really blossom into a nice college player. Nice get, now Ash gets his scholly for entering the portal, that's something I have a hard time wrapping my head around. I would have said don't let the portal hit your behind on the way through. Fran could have banked it in case he found somebody like...oh say Carter Kingsbury.

I don't have a link to it but I'm sure it's easy to find. Pat Hardy interviewed Chris the other day and I highly recomend checking it out. The guy has 6 kids living in NE Neb. Just a funny guy that was willing to talk and tell stories for a half an hour. I thought it was great when the guys were trying to convey to him how big a deal it'll be for him to come back to CHA and he made it sound like he'd be able to slip in and out without being noticed lol. But Pat and his guys had to let him know that hey you're pretty darn popular and folks will be fired up to have him back. I'm at the top of that list for sure.

By no means am I a basketball expert, but here are my takes FWIW:

He seems to have great instincts and thinks ahead. I like his shooting ability and quick release. Also like his defense, and I think his instincts will really help him shine in our zone. While everyone compares him to his dad because of his shot, the thing that reminds me the most of his dad is his passing.

I worry about his quickness, which could affect his on the ball defense and ability to create a shot. I just think of the Oregon game.

All in all, though, I'm excited to see him in an Iowa uniform and hope he can be a big contributer. Chris and Kenyon are my 2 all-time favorite Hawks and it worked out for Keegan, so...
He should fit in with most.

Not buying that. Why on earth would he NOT want a scholly initially if he could? I mean yeah Ash is the reason why we don't have a scholly to offer him but it's not like he turned down other places scholarship offers to do so. And look I'm glad the kid didn't have any D1 offers because I'd have hated to lose him. I'd be curious to know if Hoiberg had any interest at all in him.

If he's quick and athletic enough to play at this level he'll be one hell of a get for us.

FWIW - 1. Iowa has a spot still with Joe officially not coming back. 2. Fran can pay for his own kids way to play at Iowa and has said he would do so to open up space if ever needed. That was an actual plan that was in place before someone left a few years ago for Connor.

So, Iowa still has a scholarship AND his dad was on with Pat Harty yesterday and he specifically mentioned Ash and Baer as reasons why walking on to Iowa was so attractive to them. He said he saw how Fran has rewarded walk ons with scholarships for their hard work and that if his son was good enough, he'd be able to earn one too. This is a big selling point for Fran to make up his practice squads and scouting teams. Steel sharpens steel and having a good walk on program for Iowa is definitely a selling point for this staff.

FWIW - 1. Iowa has a spot still with Joe officially not coming back. 2. Fran can pay for his own kids way to play at Iowa and has said he would do so to open up space if ever needed. That was an actual plan that was in place before someone left a few years ago for Connor.

So, Iowa still has a scholarship AND his dad was on with Pat Harty yesterday and he specifically mentioned Ash and Baer as reasons why walking on to Iowa was so attractive to them. He said he saw how Fran has rewarded walk ons with scholarships for their hard work and that if his son was good enough, he'd be able to earn one too. This is a big selling point for Fran to make up his practice squads and scouting teams. Steel sharpens steel and having a good walk on program for Iowa is definitely a selling point for this staff.
Turns out I'm not as dumb as I thought I was when I posted that.

I have to give Fran credit here....well actually credit in general on this topic. He has done a very good job reaching out and embracing the Hawkeye culture....in particular with the Mr. Davis legacy players and their kids. Something I think Lackluster and the Fraud lacked.

True. End of the day the lack of other offers is also a reason he was willing to walk on and Fran didn't have to feel like he had to give him one. If NE or MN had offered him a scholly would he have still walked on at Iowa? Would Fran have done any of those other options you mentioned to get him? Not sure we have an honest answer to that hypothetical.

I'm just not a fan of Ash taking up a scholly I'm just not. A guy should have to show he can play not just during garbage time at this point in his career to earned one. Baer earned his almost immediately after his RS year. This is Ashes what 5th yr and he's not going to hardly play still.

According to this study, Iowa doesn't offer any tuition remission to dependents of employees (other than automatically getting resident rates if they live out of state).

Buttgers and Maryland offer free school to kids of employees. Maybe we should step up our game like the east coast.

58% joking.

I'm just not a fan of Ash taking up a scholly I'm just not. A guy should have to show he can play not just during garbage time at this point in his career to earned one. Baer earned his almost immediately after his RS year. This is Ashes what 5th yr and he's not going to hardly play still.
I'd only be against it if it kept someone off the roster. Fran has 2 in his back pocket that he can buy if necessary.

I get your point, though.

Charlie Jones and Keith "Mayor of Lincoln" Duncan's scholarships after p[roving their stuff on the field were two of the most awesome Hawkeye stories in the past few years.