Surprise picks to make noise in March

I just wonder how long it will be until Craig Neal gets his own head coaching gig and how well Alford will be without him. The 2 best seasons Alford had at Iowa was with Neal on the bench.

I have often wondered how much money Alf funnels to Noodles under the table. I think he gets paid pretty well for an assistant, but he is doing the work of a head coach.

I have often wondered how much money Alf funnels to Noodles under the table. I think he gets paid pretty well for an assistant, but he is doing the work of a head coach.

You have to give Alford credit for being smart enough to have a good coach on staff that he trusts. I don't get why it's some sort of bad thing to be smart enough to understand you need basically 2 head coaches to do well. The job takes so much time it is beneficial for a head coach to have a coach he trust's enough on staff to give him tons of responsibility.

I am not going to say Alford is a great coach, but he seems to at least understand you need solid pieces around you to be successful.

Was Hayden Fry funneling money to the great coaches he had on staff. I am sure some of those coaches were basically doing head coaching work.

Alf has coached dangerous teams to losses before. I am confident he can do the same again.

if new mexico plays northwestern state in first round,i know whose shot gonna swish thru last few second of game.its written in the hair`s forehead,then he`ll say new mexico isnt basketball school enough

You have to give Alford credit for being smart enough to have a good coach on staff that he trusts. I don't get why it's some sort of bad thing to be smart enough to understand you need basically 2 head coaches to do well. The job takes so much time it is beneficial for a head coach to have a coach he trust's enough on staff to give him tons of responsibility.

I am not going to say Alford is a great coach, but he seems to at least understand you need solid pieces around you to be successful.

Was Hayden Fry funneling money to the great coaches he had on staff. I am sure some of those coaches were basically doing head coaching work.

want me to read their lips and find out?

It took Alf a long time to figure this out. He was really floundering until Noodles came on board.

how do look foolish, because i don't hate and actually hope another team get better, especially ISU , i am of the opinion the better ISU is the better it looks when Iowa beats them and a loss to ISU is not considered a bad loss, i am tired of being in a no win situation with a instate opponent, they are not in the BT they are in the B12, and i like the Idea of Big Time TV coverage for the State as tht will entice the top instate talent to stay home like a Barnes or Paige, but you keep up the hating and the continuing degrading of ISU and keeping the idea of both being good down

And by top talent staying home... You mean going to ISU? This is good for us how exactly?

I prefer for the hawkeyes to get the gold instate talent.

If Iowa was a national power and we didn't have to worry about recruiting... I would cheer for ISU.

I'm not going to get upset or angry if they win, but I don't think I'll be cheering for them either.

Good point though. Alford was ripped for having weak assistants. He hires Neal, and he gets ripped for having his assistant do all the work.

I've always been critical of Alford, but how do we know Neal does all the work? Because he appears to be coaching during timeouts? (Kind of his job, right?) Didn't we always criticize Alford's other assistants for only holding clipboards during timeouts?

That said, I'd love to see if Alford has a good enough network to find another top notch assistant if Neal were to leave.

Latest posts