Sully Throws For 400 In His Iowa Starting Debut Game Thread

Really awesome day to be at Kinnick. Perfect weather and a great home crowd.

A few observations:

Saw some real growth at a few spots today.

Colby and Dunker probably played their best games as Hawks. For the most part, both were solid in both run and pass-pro.

Stephens, however, struggled mightily then got hurt. Was in a walking boot after the game. Elsbury also struggled after replacing him.

Dakin's punt towards the end of the first half was one of the best punts I've ever seen in person. Had to be close to 5 seconds hang time. Dare I say "Roby-like." ST were absolutely solid today.

On the sequence that led to the boos (poor form IMO), first Richman whiffed in pass-protection (he otherwise played well), then Stephens got completely manhandled on Kaleb's carry, then the receiver dropped the ball. It was a bad sequence but I thought the boos were over-the-top.

The play where Cade took the deep sack wasn't a play where he could have thrown the ball away. Washington blitzed and protection broke down immediately on both sides. He scrambled backwards but never got outside the tackle box. Throwing it away would have been an additional 5 yard loss.

I pointed out Dayton Howard to my wife and said, "Keep an eye on #7, he could be a real weapon for Iowa." He then promptly caught the ball and cruised in for the TD. His dad was sitting right in front of us and went absolutely ballistic, then started crying. Pretty cool.

Dakin's punt towards the end of the first half was one of the best punts I've ever seen in person. Had to be close to 5 seconds hang time. Dare I say "Roby-like." ST were absolutely solid today.
KF always said about Roby that when he punted it “sounded different.” I was pretty close to that punt for being in the crowd, and that one sounded different. He absolutely shit housed that football and the crowd knew it.

After the flood this summer I sold all my tickets because it didn’t seem real prudent given the state of my world to be dropping a bunch of money on 7 trips across the state to IC. I’m totally fine though and better than a lot of folks. I’ll be back full time next year hopefully.

But, I’m going this week. Cheap down and back 11 hour round trip in one day, like my buddies and I used to do back in our 20s when stuff like that was fun.

The lady’s driving right now so I thought I’d start the game thread at the butt crack of dawn.

Have a fun game day, don’t get too shitfaced, and keep perspective. Those kids out there are playing their asses off and our walk-ons are better football players than any of us ever dreamed of. Coaches are grown ass men and fair game.

Go Hawks
The lady's driving right now.....

You in a relationship now or is it your boy's mother (with whom you've said you still get along well)?

His hip was clearly down. I think these announcers were out on a drunk all night. Got the binoculars out checking out the Iowa blondes and not even watching the game.
Bennetti ain't scoring no blondes-hes dorky as hell.

But he's an ace announcer and he does it despite suffering from a debilitating form of MS and tirelessly raises money for charity on the downlow.

I haven't seen a 'BTen' team come into Kinnick in over 15 years with Special Teams as bad as Washington's were yesterday. The blocked FG never got more than 7 ft off the ground. Their punter's hang-time was terrible. Kickoffs were all short and returnable. Punt & kickoff coverage was subpar. Seriously, MAC teams come into Kinnick these days and most of their kickoffs are in the EZ. Most mid-major teams and even the top FCS teams have kickers that can prevent punt returns. Iowa had excellent starting field position the entire game, and the difference Special Teams yesterday played a big role in the outcome.

One of my favorite parts was when Logan Jones got the penalty for excessive blocking. He took their guy to the sidelines and into the Fox camera. 15 yards for unnecessary roughness. Totally disagree. It was necessary.

I rewatch games, and have for years, and look at individual players, plays, offensive and defensive alignments, etc. Tyler Linderbaum is my all time favorite player to watch. He's not there, but Logan Jones is freaking good. Here's a couple of clips I found:

Latest posts