Suh-Clayborn

Kinnick81

I'm sure this has been posted before but I just thought I'd throw these out there again since I didn't see them in some of the recent Clayborn threads....I think these are correct.

Suh:
2007 (SO): 34 tackles, 6 TFLs, 1 sack, 0 INT, 2 break-ups, 4 QB hurries, 0 FF, 1 blocked kick

2008 (JR): 76 tackles, 19 TFLs, 7.5 sacks, 2 INTs, 3 break-ups, 7 QB hurries, 1 FF, 2 blocked kicks

2009 (SR): 82 tackles, 23 TFLs, 12 sacks, 1 INT, 10 break-ups, 24 QB hurries, 1 FF, 3 blocked kicks

Clayborn:
2008 (SO): 50 tackles, 8 TFLs, 2 sacks, 0 INTs, 3 break-ups, 2 QB hurries, 1 FF, 0 blocked kicks

2009 (JR): 61 tackles, 18 TFLs, 9.5 sacks, 0 INT, 2 break-ups, 9 QB hurries, 4 FF, 1 blocked kick

The sky is the limit w AC. Although, I think Clayborn will be focused on a great deal, opening up for some pretty good stat lines for the other 3 beasts.

I'm sure this has been posted before but I just thought I'd throw these out there again since I didn't see them in some of the recent Clayborn threads....I think these are correct.

Suh:
2007 (SO): 34 tackles, 6 TFLs, 1 sack, 0 INT, 2 break-ups, 4 QB hurries, 0 FF, 1 blocked kick

2008 (JR): 76 tackles, 19 TFLs, 7.5 sacks, 2 INTs, 3 break-ups, 7 QB hurries, 1 FF, 2 blocked kicks

2009 (SR): 82 tackles, 23 TFLs, 12 sacks, 1 INT, 10 break-ups, 24 QB hurries, 1 FF, 3 blocked kicks

Clayborn:
2008 (SO): 50 tackles, 8 TFLs, 2 sacks, 0 INTs, 3 break-ups, 2 QB hurries, 1 FF, 0 blocked kicks

2009 (JR): 61 tackles, 18 TFLs, 9.5 sacks, 0 INT, 2 break-ups, 9 QB hurries, 4 FF, 1 blocked kick

The sky is the limit w AC. Although, I think Clayborn will be focused on a great deal, opening up for some pretty good stat lines for the other 3 beasts.

Clayborn is good, but we will find out just how good this year. Like Suh he will be getting double and triple teamed this year. Suh's stats are amazing let alone knowing he was the one that got all the attention as well. If I were an Iowa fan, I wouldnt buy into the hype that Clayborn is going to be the next Suh. I think that could be setting yourself up for disappointment. Clayborn will be good, but to expect him to put up Suh like numbers may be unfair.

I have to agree with billdoz..

AC will be great, but what Suh did, if you watched him play at all, was truley amazing. I doubt we see another game changer like him on any team in the nation this year. Or next year.

also Suh played inside mostly, whereas Clayborne usually lines up outside ... Suh's stats are all the more freakish if you compare him just to DTs

I love AC's play, but to match Suh's impact he will need to exceed his statistics

Keep in mind, although Suh played a DT in college, he also faced a majority of teams that play some version of the spread offense. One generality of the spread is that the linemen have larger splits between them and utilize the TE much less. Also, it is easy to 'run away' from a DE or roll out away from a DE, which is less effective against DT. Finally, NE moved Suh around quite a bit into different alignments and therefore the double-team was less effective.
However, all that being said, Suh was a monster last year. He was really good his Junior year, but played at much greater level his senior year.

Do I think Clayborn will be as heralded as Su...maybe not. But he has the potential to completely alter games. And, if you look at Clayborn's play last year, he played at a higher level in the most important games.

Seriously... who cares.... its like comparing apples to Orange Bowl MVPs.....

this is the only answer in this thread that matters

i don't care what suh did last year or 2 years ago. suh didn't play for iowa. i don't get why people feel the need to downplay adrian because ONE player in the country MAY have been better on the defensive line. would i trade adrian for suh? not a chance in hell

Good point Whammer.
Also Suh doesn't play college ball anymore, he is a pro now, so stop comparing to him. The only thing we should worry about is supporting the Hawks and hoping that AC has a monster season. Done.

AC is very good but. I would run right at him. Several teams did with some success. I watched the Iowa/OSU game again recently and OSU neutralized him by running straight at him. He is excellent on the move but needs to improve when the run is straight at him. If he improves that along with any improvement rushing the passer he will be great!

Last edited:
WOW.
The man was robbed out of Heisman. Clearly the MVP of the league. Much moreso than any running back with above average statistics. The heisman has turned into the best quarterback / running back award.
I sure hope I will be making the same argument for AC in a few months!

"The Heisman Memorial Trophy annually recognizes the outstanding college football player whose performance best exhibits the pursuit of excellence with integrity. Winners epitomize great ability combined with diligence, perseverance, and hard work."
Heisman Trust Mission Statement

Latest posts