Suggest what Hawks should do at half-time

tweeterhawk

Clearly going back to the locker room on conclusion of the first half is a mistake for this team. They simply don't come out strong or mentally prepared for the second half.

I don't think there's anything in teh NCAA rules requiring a team to leave the bench. So what would you suggest Fran have the team do at halftime? .Mine:

Remain on the floor. Anyone who needs to use a urinal can leave but return immediately.

Run lay-up drills to stay warm.

Play a five-on five half court scrimmage (add in a team game of HORSE if you want) played at half speed to not tire the players.

At at least this way the players' heads would remain on the court, preparing them to come out of the gates at halftime. Done correctly, it could gain Iowa and Fran McCaffrey national attention for a winning approach to the game.

Thoughts?

Would never happen but I love the idea.

There once was a school of thought that a player should never attempt anything other than a three-point set shot (three points not referring to the score if the shot is successful -- Google it). But gradually teams embraced change.

I have a theory which will probably get dismissed but I think it at least plays some part...

These kids play hundreds and hundreds of games now on the AAU circuits. 20 minutes of basketball is a long time to turn a game around.

We have lost 3 games this season in which we were leading at half... I believe we've lost to better teams: Texas, UNI, MSU

I think these kids and the really good players can turn it on when they need to.

Start the second half with the players that played the best in the first half. Iowa has a deep roster where various players may have more success than others from night to night based on match-ups or their shot is on, etc. The starting line-up fell behind against MSU and then a different lineup went on a run, took the lead, and kept it. Why not start the second half with the guys that gave you the lead in the first instead of necessarily reverting back to the starting lineup?

40037314_384x288_generated.jpg

"Ok Hawkeyes, you're smart, you're a good team, now let's finish this thing"

I think the Hawks should put hidden video equipment in the visitor's locker room and see what they say/do and copy it. Just try not to get any shower or urinal shots so it doesn't turn really ugly if they get caught.

do the exact opposite of what you've been doing

Pretty much agree with this.

Come out and play with mentality that you are DOWN by 11,
instead of like against MSU, playing like they were ahead.

And leave Gesell in the d*** game most of the time.
I'm sorry, but AC screwed the pooch in 2nd half, last nite

Run drills and only give them enough time in the locker room to drop a deuce. Better to do it there than on the hardwood.

I had a similar thought. Bring them back out early, run them through pre-game drills instead of them coming out an jacking up some lazy shots. Heck, have them shower at half and put on clean unis. Something to change up what they're doing is in order.

Latest posts