Submit 64 Greatest Moments in Hawkeye Athletics Suggestions Here

RobHowe

Administrator
Northside Hawk posed this project idea in the thread for content suggestions. Let's put together a bracket with the 64 greatest moments in Hawkeye History.

Nominations?

And, go...

I don't want to be greedy, so I'll only contribute just one (although I think I could come up with 64) -

Before my time, but worthy of the list in my opinion, in addition to some of the more current, obvious ones.

Iowa demolishing Cal in the 1959 Rose Bowl, and earning a national title by the Football Writers Assn of America (when it still had clout).

I don't want to be greedy, so I'll only contribute just one (although I think I could come up with 64) -

Before my time, but worthy of the list in my opinion, in addition to some of the more current, obvious ones.

Iowa demolishing Cal in the 1959 Rose Bowl, and earning a national title by the Football Writers Assn of America (when it still had clout).

Thanks. Feel free to submit as many as you want.

55-24
7 got 6
Tate to Holloway
Shonn Greene's monster game against Wisky in 2008
2019 Holiday Bowl
Houghtlin's kick against Michigan in '85
Chuck Long MSU bootleg '85
First game after Chris Street died
Lute's Final Four run
Davis's Elite 8 run
Alex Thompson's tre to beat OSU in BTT
That year we dominated the BTT and went from marginal bubble team to a lock
The NIT final against Baylor
Orange Bowl (the one we won)
Andy Brodell's 2 TDs against Texas in Alamo Bowl that one time
the 6-4 game against PSU
Wade Lookingbill's bank 3 pointer to defeat Michigan
The entire Chris Kingsbury library
DJK's kick return at the 'shoe
The comeback against Indiana in '09
The 2 blocked FGs against UNI in '09
Michigan 2002
Purdue 2002 - Dallas Clark's huge TD
Kirk's emotion after the 2004 regular season ended
Chandler somehow beating Michigan at Kinnick in 2003
That game at Kinnick where we beat Dennard and Michigan
The 2007 Iowa-Illinois FB game where we beat Rose Bowl bound Illinois 10-7
The tiger hawk on the water tower
The nile kinnick statue going up
The game in OSU after the shooting
Jake Duzey's long TD in the 'Shoe
I'm usually too drunk to call out a specific IS-MOO game
The miracle Pitt comeback OKeefe orchestrated
That game where Nick Bell murdered Illinois
That Indiana game where Acie Earl lobbed an awful tre as time was expiring, missed we got the board and tipped it in for the victory
That time Lickliter beat Sparty like 43-41 in the shittiest game of basketball ever played

I have to go with Houghtlin’s kick to beat Michigan in #1 vs #2 in 1985 as one of top 64.

And I’ll also add the Final Four appearance in 1980.

I was in the stands for the Lickliter victory over MSU. It doesn’t fit as it wasn’t even exciting to win the game. Carver was pretty subdued considering what had just happened. I think most of the crowd had fallen asleep.

Northside Hawk posed this project idea in the thread for content suggestions. Let's put together a bracket with the 64 greatest moments in Hawkeye History.

Nominations?

And, go...

Hmmm, so "moments". I see some listing plays...others listing whole games. What's the guideline?

How bout this. One side of the bracket is games, one side is individual plays only!

Bob Sanders performance against Minnesota in 2004
Outback bowl against Florida (the one where we didn't get murdered and the refs didn't screw us)
The destruction of Ben Roethlisberger in 2003
Sparty 2010 (football)
Purdue football 2004
Kaeding's TD run against OSU

Hmmm, so "moments". I see some listing plays...others listing whole games. What's the guideline?

How bout this. One side of the bracket is games, one side is individual plays only!

So basically it will come down to which one people liked more between 12-10 and 55-24 versus 7 got 6 and Tate-Holloway.

Probably two stick out most for me. 1) When Steve Waite hit the layup and the and-one to seal the victory over Georgetown to give us a Final Four berth in 1980 and 2) Michigan State game in 1981 to give us the Rose Bowl berth in Hayden Fry's third year.

I was a student for both of these so that's probably why these are the most prominent in my mind.

In no particular order and focused on winning titles and invitations,
The win and final minute against Georgetown to send hawks to final four
2002 Hawks crush MIch at Ann Arbor means this team is real
2002 Hawks complete 8-0 season at Minny
2004 hawks beat Wisky to claim football ball title
2015 at Nebby to claim West title and perfect regular season.
1985 Houghtlin Kick and win
1970 Bball team wins last conf game to go 14-0
Hawks win 2010 Orange Bowl for first major bowl win since 1959
Dan Gable's last Natty Championship team or almost any team, maybe a team that crushed the competition
1990 Hawks take huge step to title with close win at #10 Mich
1990 Hawks crush #5 Illini to move toward title

tearing down the goal post at Minnesota needs to be in the field.

I think you could field a bracket for each sport (basketball, football, and wrestling), maybe let Clinton go to town on the womens sports.

Never...NIT or Uni wins.

Win over OU in 88 last basket
Win over Nebby in 81 stopping Roger Craig.
Steve Wait to get to final 4
12-10 win fg MU

As a group or individually, Murray's kick to beat Penn State in '08 and Duncan's kick to beat Michigan in '16.

Hartlieb to Cook against OSU in '87.

Chuck Long's 6 TD game against Texas in the Freedom Bowl.

Iowa's final four run in 1980

Iowa playing in its only national championship game, against USF with Bill Russell and KC Jones in 1956.

I love the 85 yard pass from Beathard to Smith but it is a bittersweet memory.

Last edited:
Gotta put "1939 Iowa Hawkeye Football Team - The Ironmen" Beat #3 Notre Dame 7-6. Iowa was picked pre-season to be at the bottom of the BIG 10. They ended up 6-1-1 and ranked #9th in the country. Nile Kinnick picked as the Heisman winner!

Last edited:

Latest posts