Stupid Question...

DLSBulldog

...from someone who likes watching wrestling but isn't up on the politics of how wrestlers get into the NCAAs. Does advancing 10 to the semis mean all ten qualify for nationals?

So far McDonough, Metcalf, Borschel, and Beatty are all guaranteed spots at nationals. The others still have work to do. They take a different # of wrestlers at each weight from each conference and the others aren't qualified yet.

5 of the other 6 guys have to finish 5th or higher to make it to NCAAs. Kerr has to finish 4th or higher.

The short answer is "no." There is a predetermined number of wrestlers from each weight class in each conference that qualify for nationals, plus there are some wild cards spots that will be awarded after all conference tournaments are complete.

The Big Ten only qualified 4 wrestlers at 157 pounds, yet they get more for other weights. I think the Big Ten gets 6 at 141 pounds, for example. I believe the fewest at any weight is 4, for the Big Ten.

Also, just because you get in the Semis it doesn't mean you automatically finish 4th at the worst. The semifinal losers will drop into the consolation bracket and can actually finish as low as 6th if they don't win another match. That's why Kerr needs to win another match, either in the Semis or in the consolations, to guarantee his spot at nationals.

Thank you. I would have thought being in the semi's gave you 4th or better thus pretty much paving the way to the nationals. I follow the wrestling threads and I care about wrestling. However. I don't know the rules.

Thank you. I would have thought being in the semi's gave you 4th or better thus pretty much paving the way to the nationals. I follow the wrestling threads and I care about wrestling. However. I don't know the rules.

lol, welcome to my world. I was the basketball player of a wrestling family.....actually have a cousin wrestling at Iowa now, but he's just a youngen. Always went to watch him and his older brother at state, I knew when things were going well, and when things weren't going so well, but I never did quite understand the strategies/rules....I just knew they were damn good wrestlers.

I need to correct myself, I forgot that at 141 with Prater from IL withdrawing the B10 only qualifies 4.